• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

TabCam

Audiophonics says 110V on request. I think it is jumper selectable as they use the Hypex 1200A700 which is jumper selectable.

Neto Rare

I noticed when I switch the gain to bypass (lowest), there's a noticeable channel imbalance prioritizing the left channel. The reason I switch the gain to bypass is because I was testing some SE dacs/preamp and the default gain was too much, but then I realized its way too low now with bypass. They did mention that its meant for powerful preamp with active gain.

However, I have no issue with channel imbalance with default gain when connected to a balanced dac/preamp. My main dac is balanced so it wont really be an issue for me, but it would be a problem for those that uses SE.

TabCam

Is the channel imbalance switched to the other channel when you switch both input and output connectors? It is odd that it disappears with gain active, would have expected the opposite.

Neto Rare

Is the channel imbalance switched to the other channel when you switch both input and output connectors? It is odd that it disappears with gain active, would have expected the opposite.

I'll try it out in a bit, kinda exhausted from all the switching and troubleshooting. I even used different rca cables since I noticed one right rca cable wasn't as flushed due to the stiffness of the cable, but it didn't make a difference.

I'll be doing more testing when I get my balanced preamp hopefully on Monday and try the bypass on balanced instead.

Neto Rare

I switched the left rca cable to the right, but the left channel is still the most prominent. The channel imbalance is just skewed the left, instead of right down on the center image. Really odd...

mk05

Forum Donor
What are the advantages of twin power supply vs a single? Is it audible?

Neto Rare

Ok, just tried a balanced JBL nano patch+ with bypass gain and there's no channel imbalance or overtly low gain that I was previously experiencing with SE dacs and the schiit SYS preamp. Balanced is the way to go with this amp I guess...

Neto Rare

Also, good luck getting any after sales support from Audiophonics for any technical questions or troubleshooting because they never reply back.

mk05

Forum Donor
Also, good luck getting any after sales support from Audiophonics for any technical questions or troubleshooting because they never reply back.
Have you considered that due to COVID, there is some delay to be expected?

Neto Rare

Have you considered that due to COVID, there is some delay to be expected?

Meh, I don't buy that excuse. They're good with sales questions, but any other technical/troubleshooting question goes unanswered.

Kennyknetter

My experience with Audiophonics is nothing less than stellar. I placed an order with a whole lot of stuff just the other week, and while waiting for all things to stock up before they could send it, I decided to go for a different balanced cable, and one evening I asked them to change the order to that one. It came out slightly cheaper that way, but I told them to keep the change. The next day, two hours into the working day, they replied with the change of the order, and they also gave me a voucher for 0,7 euro. A very puny amount of money, but the gesture speaks for itself. Top notch people, and truly great prices.

However, I haven't asked them any technical questions. They might differ on that point. I wouldn't know though.

Audiophonics

Dealer

We didn't found an e-mail or ticket opened for this case ?
Please open a RMA ticket into your account, we will take care of your problem.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
An eco strip like this one below works great for powering devices on without trigger. For example, plug the DAC into the master outlet, and when the DAC turns on, the strip turns on the slave outlets with the amplifiers. DAC turns off, strip turns off the amplifiers.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-Protection-AV88SATG/dp/B0084PKCGA/

My RME ADI-2 did not consume enough power to act as the master. Using a splitter and plugging in a PW-Link in conjunction with the RME consumed enough power to keep Hypex NC400 amps on plugged into slave. However, it was not enough to trigger power on, though power off worked. I have had to resort to manually switching the threshhold setting on the power bar to Hi and back to Low in order to turn the amps on. This is still much more convenient than using the switch on the back of the amps.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audiophonics says 110V on request. I think it is jumper selectable as they use the Hypex 1200A700 which is jumper selectable.

Thanks for the info.
I sent this query to Audiophonics but never got any reply back from them.

Anyone has any internal picture showing the jumper?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is that I've gotten almost instant replies, with info responsive to my question, whenever I've emailed Audiophonics.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info.
I sent this query to Audiophonics but never got any reply back from them.

Anyone has any internal picture showing the jumper?
Per the Hypex datasheet, it goes here. As shown in this picture, there is no jumper plugged-in, so this way is for 230VAC. You need a plug connecting those two pins together for 115VAC mains.
1591892160171.png

TabCam

That is odd, I almost always get answers within one working day, at most two.

Kaiman

I noticed when I switch the gain to bypass (lowest), there's a noticeable channel imbalance prioritizing the left channel. The reason I switch the gain to bypass is because I was testing some SE dacs/preamp and the default gain was too much, but then I realized its way too low now with bypass. They did mention that its meant for powerful preamp with active gain.

However, I have no issue with channel imbalance with default gain when connected to a balanced dac/preamp. My main dac is balanced so it wont really be an issue for me, but it would be a problem for those that uses SE.

I’m curious the problem has been solved or not?
I have interest in the “HPA-S400ET”, but my system used the balanced too.

Top Bottom