• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

TabCam

Probably the latter. I never felt the HPA-S400ET ran out of power and the measurements showed the same, no difference in dual mono channel with separate power supplies or the shared power supply version.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Possibly dumb question: Does the HPA Purifi amp use only one power supply for cost reasons, or because the Purifi modules (unlike, say, the Hypex 400 modules) don't run into current problems with only one PSU driving both channels?
The Hypex SMPS1200A400 is rated to drive two NC400s to full output. It is comparable to using two, SMPS600N400s.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hypex SMPS1200A400 is rated to drive two NC400s to full output. It is comparable to using two, SMPS600N400s.

Ah, thanks! I forgot about the 600/1200 distinction in the PSU part numbers.

Morla

Forum Donor
Damn, maybe I should have waited buying their former model. After routing the right input channel under the IEC connector the RCA input had much less hum from the SMPS. Unfortunately the crickling noise of the XLR input was still there. Now with the different angles those cables are far more away from the power supply than in the old case.

Last edited:

ririt

Damn, maybe I should have waited buying their former model. After routing the right input channel under the IEC connector the RCA input had much less hum from the SMPS. Unfortunately the crickling noise of the XLR input was still there. Now with the different angles those cables are far more away from the power supply than in the old case.
You mean that you anticipate less hum and crickling noise with the new implementation?

Morla

Forum Donor
You mean that you anticipate less hum and crickling noise with the new implementation?

First of all: it only happens with no active source attached so it is less of an issue during runtime

But secondly: Yes I certainly do. The power supply now is like at the opposite side of the case with that metal element acting as a border between power supply and all the rest. I am not an electrician
but in my humble opinion this is a better way of arranging the parts?

Now if only they offered a XLR only input that would be nice. Would remove any doubt concerning power supply radiation. That said: if I understood correctly!

Cheers!

Last edited:

ririt

Thanks Morla. An additional question: does your current version beoming hot when used for a long time? it is still related to the use of a smaller case in the new version...pro: better arrangement of the parts / cons: less efficient to dissipate heat?
cheers

Morla

Forum Donor
Thanks Morla. An additional question: does your current version beoming hot when used for a long time?

Not at all. But I have efficient speakers (96dB) so maybe someone else using less efficient speakers and listening louder could tell us about it. In my case it is only slightly above room temp.

Morla

Forum Donor
I doubt it's going to be a problem. On the other hand you could always send it back within the usual time frame?

ririt

of course it will , especially because I a living in France so pretty fast and easy

TimoJ

But secondly: Yes I certainly do. The power supply now is like at the opposite side of the case with that metal element acting as a border between power supply and all the rest. I am not an electrician
but in my humble opinion this is a better way of arranging the parts?
Looks like the power supply wiring goes too close to the amplifier board. It's now resting on the transformer/choke. And that flat cable positioning may also cause issues.

Bachemar

Forum Donor
I don’t see a 12V trigger input, are these on all the time? Or is there some sort of auto detect low power mode?

Morla

Forum Donor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice!

I just ordered the full-size chassis HPA version, but the new, smaller version looks great as well. For just about a 100 Euro difference, I personally felt it was worth it for the larger chassis with heatsinking, but I would imagine either version would be fine.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 110v model HPA-S400ET Purifi amp just arrived today. My experience so far:
  • I am extremely happy and commend @Audiophonics for an excellent product, great value, and excellent customer service.
  • i got multiple emails from them within 24 hours of placing my order - emails from different folks at the company, informing me that my amp was being built, and then informing me that it was shipping. My amp shipped out within 48 hours of being ordered, and arrived from France at my home in the U.S. 8 days after being shipped. I also had a minor order-process question I emailed them about just after ordering, and they responded pretty much immediately, very friendly and totally responsive to my question.
  • While much lighter than an equivalent power (or even 1/3-the-power) Class AB amp, this unit is nevertheless nicely hefty, owing to the heavy metal casing and heatsinks.
  • I'm only a couple of hours in, but so far the sonics are excellent. I don't expect anyone here to take my word for it (I wouldn't if I were you! :)), but to my surprise this amp sounds better than my old, beloved Adcom GFA-5400 (which I'm not getting rid of anytime soon). It could be the lower distortion (the Adcom is rated at 0.18% while this unit is probably in the 0.005% range give or take). But my current working hypothesis is that the Audiophonics unit has a higher damping factor that's controlling the speakers better. I'm hearing a real difference in the tightness of the bass, midrange transient snap, and overall precision of sounds within the soundstage. It could be confirmation bias, I freely admit - but the fact that the soundstage seems more precise and slightly deeper, but yet not wider; and that the major sonic differences I'm hearing seem to be only in the range where the mid-woofer operates (meaning I'm hearing better control of that driver and no real difference with the tweeter), has me thinking that I'm not just imagining things and the damping factor could be producing a detectable difference.
  • My old amp provides 29dB of gain while this one provides 25 (or 25.5?). I do have to turn the volume up a bit, but not by a lot.
  • I don't know if my unit was already on-hand when I ordered it or if it was newly made, but I do hear the same Right channel sound when the amp is on and nothing is connected to its input, which the pre-May 6 units had (see earlier in this thread). Connecting an input results in silence - very nice after putting up with the Adcom's hiss for so many years. I have absolutely zero interest in opening the unit up and re-routing wires, since this issue by definition never crops up in actual use.
  • I really like the case design, and I love the nice, big center-mounted front power button. That LED is a bit bright, however. Would love an option to dim it or turn it off.
  • The rear RCA/XLR switches aren't labeled. Not a big deal, but since other labeling is printed on the rear of the case anyway, I don't imagine it would cost anything to label those too.
  • The underside of the unit had a few small grease(?) spots where fasteners attach to the case bottom. I wiped off the small amount of excess. I assume this is normal?
  • The speaker connectors are excellent. I used them with bare wire (to connect test speakers first to make sure nothing would blow up) and with banana plugs (my main/usual setup), and the connectors were the easiest to use of any amp or receiver I've experienced.
  • The package includes 4 black plastic O-rings that fit into grooves on the bottom of the feet - nice touch (although the O-rings don't wedge themselves very securely into the feet so they tend to fall out when you're positioning the unit).
  • I will confess that I was a little worried when I first received the unit, because the outer box had no printing on it and was in rather rough shape, and the inner packaging had a very homemade look - anti-static bubble wrap surrounded by layers of cardboard from a used shipping box, sort of sliced up and used as a springy inner padding. However, the unit arrived in perfect shape, and upon reflection I appreciate the use of recycled (or in this case I guess up-cycled) material. I am used to more professional packaging from larger brands - but we don't listen to packaging, and I am more than happy not to have had to pay for the cost of such packaging as part of the purchase price here, so all good!
As noted in my first point, my impression and experience is so far is overwhelmingly positive. I'm completely content with my purchase and Audiophonics has been a pleasure to deal with. Thanks!

Last edited:

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not think so. However, for the smaller case, case dimension may affect the lifetime of the amplifier because it may become warmer when it is used.

I don't have any experience with the Purifi modules, but the Hypex modules run quite cool. So if that's any guide, heat shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom