• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

TabCam

I do not use any filtering for the AudioPhonics HPA-S400ET. No hiss at all with much more sensitive speakers while I have hiss (ear to tweeter) with my Anthem I225 / Usher Mini Dancer 2 mkII set.

Okey. I thought about buying this https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...v-230v-slave-power-supply-device-p-10661.html but the dac doesn’t have trigger so it becomes useless.

thanks for the info tho :)
That is a nice idea. Should be enough as the Hypex SMPS1200A400 specifies 1500W max consumption. Hope the rush In current poses no problem. Here In The Netherlands we have about the same energy prices so it will earn itself back within a year I reckon.

Last edited:

Morla

Forum Donor
I'm a bit sad that the first thing that happened to my audiophonics HPA-S400ET was an ugly scratch that I inflicted by the knife I used to open the delivery box.

Anybody else thinking the surface of the case is very easily scratched?

Morla

Forum Donor
To me the Nord Three looks a cheap Mediacenter PC case but I have only seen the picture on their webpage.

Attachments

• bee373_75e74115c9de4b74991d4c8398f9c8d1~mv2_edited.jpeg
    bee373_75e74115c9de4b74991d4c8398f9c8d1~mv2_edited.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 480
  • bee373_75e74115c9de4b74991d4c8398f9c8d1~mv2_edited.jpeg
    bee373_75e74115c9de4b74991d4c8398f9c8d1~mv2_edited.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 462

Morla

Forum Donor
@TabCam: I noticed a crickling noise when set to xlr and a hum when set to rca. But only on the right channel. I changed sides to make sure it is not the speakers. Also removed power of everything but the amplifier. Since you posted a picture of your modules I could spot a difference: yours look identical while my right module look different. The little copper parts got a different color and are turned in the opposite angle. Do you think that's normal? Maybe it's time for me to open a ticket.

P.S. actually the EVAL1 pictures on the purifi-audio website are having the same difference. Maybe that's there for a good reason?

Attachments

• 15885038213950.jpg
    15885038213950.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

Morla

Forum Donor
Actually it seems that noise disappears as soon as I connect a source. As if it has to load itself up first or something. Is that possible? I have only little technical experience. Odd it's only one channel.

Last edited:

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually it seems that noise disappears as soon as I connect a source. As if it has to load itself up first or something. Is that possible? I have only little technical experience. Odd it's only one channel.
For many systems, it's normal to have relatively high noise with an open input. What matters is the noise with your source connected.

TabCam

@Morla If you do not connect anything, even short wires can act as antenna and pick up noise.

I had a fun audio evening comparing the HPA-S400ET to a Unison Research S9 tube amplifier driving two Focal Sopra 1's. They were in a sense very close. Both were very natural and open sounding on the Sopra 1's.The bass was much tighter and more defined on the Purifi, the midrange a win for the S9 and a draw for the highs.

There was a hiccup at the start. The S9 was connected to a netfilter. As soon as we swapped in the Purifi it did not sound natural at all. Fortunately I brought an el cheapo power cable and as soon as as we connected it directly to the power, everything was more than fine!

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@TabCam: I noticed a crickling noise when set to xlr and a hum when set to rca. But only on the right channel. I changed sides to make sure it is not the speakers. Also removed power of everything but the amplifier. Since you posted a picture of your modules I could spot a difference: yours look identical while my right module look different. The little copper parts got a different color and are turned in the opposite angle. Do you think that's normal? Maybe it's time for me to open a ticket.

P.S. actually the EVAL1 pictures on the purifi-audio website are having the same difference. Maybe that's there for a good reason?

Those inductors won't be the cause of any hum you are hearing. Probably just a different batch or supplier.

Probably ground loop, pin 1 problem.

Last edited:

Morla

Forum Donor
Those inductors won't be the cause of any hum you are hearing. Probably just a different batch or supplier.

Probably ground loop, pin 1 problem.

Do you have an idea on where to look for this issue? I have attached a picture. To me left and right looks identical?

Attachments

• 15886616145921.jpg
    15886616145921.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 418

Morla

Forum Donor
@Moria; If you do not connect anything, even short wires can act as antenna and pick up noise.

I would have thought this would happen to both channels but yes.

I use speakers with high sensitivity (measured 96dB by stereophile). Maybe that is a part playing a role in this?

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor

I use speakers with high sensitivity (measured 96dB by stereophile). Maybe that is a part playing a role in this?

I would try and cut that cable tie holding the right channel input to the loosely twisted speaker output wire., might just help and easy to achieve.
Edit (had not noticed the left was the same, but worth a try still)

Attachments

• 15886616145921_LI.jpg
    15886616145921_LI.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 366

Audiophonics

Dealer
Hello, we tried to detect this behavior
Yes, if no source is connected AND the RCA input selected, we can hear a noise on the right channel.

This is because the switch connect negative input with ground, and cancel the balanced design that remove any perturbation.
We found that this perturbation comes from SMPS1200 main capacitors.

One easy solution can be to route the right input wire under the IEC connector, along the back panel.

But this problem only occur when there is no source, because wires are on air and act as antenna with 47k impedance.
When a source is connected, no sound can be heard.

However, from today, we will take this parameter into account for our next assemblies.

TabCam

Efficient speakers will probably excarbate the problem but I have a hiss with my Anthem I225 and it is only detectable from short range (ear close to tweeter) with both an efficient and normally efficient speaker.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly dumb question: Does the HPA Purifi amp use only one power supply for cost reasons, or because the Purifi modules (unlike, say, the Hypex 400 modules) don't run into current problems with only one PSU driving both channels?

Top Bottom