• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics EVO-SABRE Balanced RPI DAC Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would you suggest that the IMD ESS Hump fix could be done by someone with competent soldering skills and a labelled PCB diagram/image, or is it a fix that is going to have to come from the manufacturer in a revised version?
The fixes I have seen are minor and if someone is comfortable with surface mount part soldering/desoldering, it could be done. But you would need the specific recipe for this DAC which is not available.

JeffGB

The performance appears to be almost exactly the same as the MOTU M4. The display and extra inputs (optical and coaxial) would be nice, but for my use, I think the MOTU is a better deal and it also has a volume control (I haven't received my MOTU M4 yet so I don't know how well the volume control works). Thanks for the review, Amir!

doug2761

Forum Donor
Oh my. To heck with these multi thousand dollar streaming dac amp setups. This and a top tier Ncore amp (also could be purchased at Audiophonics) could be purchased for less than a grand and have top tier performance!!

That's pretty much the road I'm on. I just finished my NC400 monoblocks and hooked them up to my Raspi 4 with display and HiFi Berry DAC 2 HD. I'm using Roon for playback and room correction with Ropieee XL on the raspi. The Ncore has enough gain that I don't need a preamp. These easily assembled kits are very good. I'm having a ball playing with this stuff and getting incredible sound from my system. Adding the raspi remote next.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The advantage of Audiophonics kit over the SMSL streamer is that the former is based on Rpi, and thus provides several different software choices. With SMSL, you are tied to their dull mobile app or the device's own interface. It feels like a dated solution today with ROON, Volumio and more.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Most of the common rpi images like moode and volumio support brutefir
Moode doesn't support brutefir by default AFAIK – only a 4 band parametric EQ + a 10 band graphic EQ – but it could probably be installed by the technically minded. And I wouldn't consider brutefir as 'room correction' in the sense of Dirac, Audessy etc.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The IMD hump fix shared by Ben is not be all end all. During the design of D10s, the IMD hump just didn't appear with whatever the value is used in the R + C in the feedback circuit. Same thing happens in Okto research's DAC8 (didn't follow Ben's suggestion at all, not having R at all in series with the C) and some new boards that we made using both 9038q and 9038pro. There must be some underlined reason that causes the hump not just the i/v stage itself. It can be oscillator related, AVDD supply related as well.

Mulder

Forum Donor
The fixes I have seen are minor and if someone is comfortable with surface mount part soldering/desoldering, it could be done. But you would need the specific recipe for this DAC which is not available.
Can this Hump be heard at all? Or is this a fix of a audio quality problem that do no not exist?

m8o

Forum Donor
I like this a lot! Definitely rises to the level of "will buy". Tho, I have little use for the supplied display. Much thanx for the review.

Richdw

Would there be any reason not to use the Evo Sabre directly in to a power amp? If so, what are the specific attributes of the power amp that may make it a better or worse match for the Evo Sabre?

I'm considering purchasing the Evo Sabre, and either a Behringer A800 or NCore (Audiophonics) MPA-S125NC XLR Stereo, to feed my Jamo Classic 8 speakers.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Is this DAC/Raspberry Pi unit Roon Ready?
You'd have to format the micro sd with Ropieee which then acts as a Roon Bridge. I don't use Roon but there's plenty of info about Roipeee on this site.

The Audiophonics DAC/RPi is a lovely looking piece of kit, but bear in mind if you don't need balanced output then you can get the same performance from a simple RPi4 and a Topping E30.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Thank you. Can you describe what the RPi4 will add to the E30 here?
I'm not sure what you're asking. The RPi4 is configured as a streamer (music source) that then outputs to the DAC. This thread is about the pairing of the EVO-SABRE DAC with an RPi4 which can be done as a single unit.

An RPi can be connected to any DAC. Normally this is done via USB. So an RPi4 can be connected to the E30. What does it add? It adds a music source (local files and/or streaming service).

Naturlig

Thank you again. Fine, then the RPi4 adds streaming with some sw in addition, like the unit in this thread.

navin

I understand that Ben Du has in the Soncoz SGD1 (which has the same DAC chipset but a different implementation) has fixed this hump. Is this true?

How does this DAC compare with the SGD1 (for the cost of some labour one gets an RPi4 media player)?
Since they both use the same chipset it would be interesting to know how implementation changes the measurements and sound.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I understand that Ben Du has in the Soncoz SGD1 (which has the same DAC chipset but a different implementation) has fixed this hump. Is this true?

How does this DAC compare with the SGD1 (for the cost of some labour one gets an RPi4 media player)?
Since they both use the same chipset it would be interesting to know how implementation changes the measurements and sound.
Have you checked out amirm's review?

Top Bottom