• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics EVO-SABRE Balanced RPI DAC Review

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello !
I'm a french newbie here ; Sorry for my english :)

Has someone compare the Audiophonics EVO-SABRE PACK DAC with the Onkyo NS 6170 ? What about the 2x AK 4490 vs the 2 x ESS 9038Q2m ?
Sound differences ?

Thank you
Generally people on ASR will tell you to see measurement. The performance does not only depends on chip, but also implementation. Everything lower than -100dB SINAD will be considered transparent here on ASR, so that means output is the same as source.

Vavilen

Hey guys!
Is it a bad idea to put the plate to the same case with Purifi amp modules + buffer and communicate them inside?
I want to build a nice custom case and avoid having multiple small boxes, which make visual noise in my living room interior.

doug2761

Forum Donor
As long as you’re mindful of power supply routing and grounding then you should be fine.

KMM

Would there be any reason not to use the Evo Sabre directly in to a power amp? If so, what are the specific attributes of the power amp that may make it a better or worse match for the Evo Sabre?

I'm considering purchasing the Evo Sabre, and either a Behringer A800 or NCore (Audiophonics) MPA-S125NC XLR Stereo, to feed my Jamo Classic 8 speakers.
I run mine directly to a Nubert Amp A or Audiophonics Hypex double mono amp. Works very well with the integrated volume control.

Last edited:

rapataka

I run mine directly to a Nubert Amp A or Audiophonics Hypex double mono amp. Works very well with the integrated volume control.
Hi,
I have the same setup. Evo Dac over XLR directly into a Hypex S500NC stereo amplifier. I have noticed that the volume only picks up at around 25-30 (on the left screen). Do you have the same experience ?

KMM

Hi,
I have the same setup. Evo Dac over XLR directly into a Hypex S500NC stereo amplifier. I have noticed that the volume only picks up at around 25-30 (on the left screen). Do you have the same experience ?
Yes, the same here. Linearity is not perfect but it doesn’t matter to me. Volume numbers between DAC and Roon are not the same either. No problem for me

rapataka

OK, thanks. I passed the same Q to audiophonics. Will post back if they reply.

rapataka

well, they told me to use the "software volume" setting in Volumio. I don't think that is a good idea, so I'll just stick with the hardware volume setting and let the ESS chips do their thing.

onessela

I know that RasPi has a lot of jitter on I2S output (I use it with an Allo reclocker in my setup). Does this DAC reclock I2S data and/or works as a Master DAC ?

Top Bottom