• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC and DAW-S250NC : new integrated amps with DAC (streamer) and Ncore !

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now with WiiM inside: DAW-S250NC. Cheap M33 killer ;)
;)

Maybe the Dac of the unit is the good (but not excellent) DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M already reviewed by Amir
My guess is that it is good enough to not bottleneck the NC252MP performance.

Upcoming AUDIOPHONICS DA-S125NC with the Hypex NCore NC122MP, 2x125W 4 Ohm, same DAC, for €600. https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/ampl...2x125w-4-ohm-32bit-768khz-dsd256-p-17064.html
I saw it but didn't post... Why ? Because I think it is a way less interesting value. As always, NC122MP is suffering the price/performance comparaison against the way better priced NC252.

For only 100€ more, you can double the power. Just do it.

Last edited:

wyup

;)

My guess is that it is good enough to not bottleneck the NC252MP performance.

I saw it but didn't post... Why ? Because I think it is a way less interesting value. As always, NC122MP is suffering the price/performance comparaison against the way better priced NC252.

For only 100€ more, you can double the power. Just do it.
I don't agree. Why do I need 250W for a normal room?
If you look at hypex documents, NC122MP has a little better performance at its sweet spot. Why spend more for less efficiency?
If I run a disco or have extremely inefficient 2 ohm column speakers, yes.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do I need 250W for a normal room?
I don't know. Your speakers, your own needs for desired SPLs. AFAIC, I have easily put the NC122MP to clip in 20m2 with my Evoke 20. When it comes to amplifiers, too much is always better than not enough. Not to mention better speakers/room upgradability.
If you look at hypex documents, NC122MP has a little better performance at its sweet spot.
You won't hear that. What you will is clipping when you're out of power.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Yup, sometimes one wonders if the 122 exists only to sell more 252.

However, if you look at it the other way around like for instance my fellow galego100 a few messages up, when you compare with the Sabaj a30a for the same price and probably similar power....

wyup

I don't know. Your speakers, your own needs for desired SPLs. AFAIC, I have easily put the NC122MP to clip in 20m2 with my Evoke 20. When it comes to amplifiers, too much is always better than not enough. Not to mention better speakers/room upgradability.

You won't hear that. What you will is clipping when you're out of power.
I can't imagine putting an 75w amp to clip at full power for music listening in a home environment. I have a 44w amp and 89db-6ohm speakers in a 18 m2 room and I don't need to get past 12 o-clock unless I want neighbours to complain, it fills the room nicely with great bass.
I see power to distorsion curves of NC122MP/NC252MP amps and they are about the same for 2/3 power, and as I say less distorsion for intended power.

How do you drive NC122MP to clipping, blasting it momentary for fun or by normal listening?

However, I see in specs NC122MP clips at 1.17 Vrms or 1.65 Vpk at 125W/4ohm. This voltage level is almost half than the standard 2Vrms unbalalanced line out, so it may clip halfway attenuated. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
I can't imagine putting an 75w amp to clip at full power for music listening in a home environment. I have a 44w amp and 89db-6ohm speakers in a 18 m2 room and I don't need to get past 12 o-clock unless I want neighbours to complain, it fills the room nicely with great bass.
I see power to distorsion curves of NC122MP/NC252MP amps and they are about the same for 2/3 power, and as I say less distorsion for intended power.

How do you drive NC122MP to clipping, blasting it momentary for fun or by normal listening?

However, I see in specs NC122MP clips at 1.17 Vrms or 1.65 Vpk at 125W/4ohm. This voltage level is almost half than the standard 2Vrms unbalalanced line out, so it may clip halfway attenuated. Is this normal?
On the other hand Devialet uses nearly 1.5KW amps in a small packet like Phantom.
I imagine there is a reason to it.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not normal listening, obsviously. Loud enough for bass to hit my chest at 3 meters, before significant distortion or audible compression occurs. Loud, yet clean. That's what a good system is supposed to achieve and I'm considering this as a requirement. Even if I was listening at such levels for only one time a year, I would want to insure that it can be the case without limitation. Of course, I won't listen at such SPLs for more than dozens of minutes, plus, it obviously depends of the dynamic range of recordings.
I have a 44w amp and 89db-6ohm speakers in a 18 m2
Appart from your room surface, none of the numbers you gave are right. I mean, if you refer to manufacturers specs. Your speakers are not constantly 6Ω, that's for sure.;) 89dB measured (IEC 300-3000Hz)? I doubt it. Maybe your amp outputs more power than rated. Etc.
I don't need to get past 12 o-clock unless I want neighbours to complain, it fills the room nicely with great bass.
Yes, but this still is very specific to your own (and actual) use case. Perhaps you would move someday and won't want your amp to bottleneck your system in a bigger room. Maybe you would buy other speakers. Etc, etc. As you probably know, 12 o'clock doesn't equal 50% volume. Since many manufacturers use overly high Gain to give the impression of power, you could very well be near the clipping point at 12 ou 1 o'clock. ;)
Yes, it's fine. And if you ask me, 2Vrms max input sensitivity is a touch too high to use with regular 2Vrms unbal outputs. Why ? Because people don't want to put their DACs to 85% volume to get loud enough listening, nor having to work with these last 15% only as volume amplitude.

ags

View attachment 242982View attachment 242983

And now DAW-S250NC with WiFi streamer at 899€ !

Wonder would it be possible to connect minidsp DDRC-24 somewhere inside it...

Last edited:

ags

Wonder if it would be possible to connect minidsp DDRC-24 somewhere inside it...

I think I figured out. Just need to find cables motherboard connector to RCA. Result - WiFi streamer with Dirac for 1369Eur in one box.

Attachments

• dsp1.png
    dsp1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
  • dsp2.png
    dsp2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 275
  • dsp3.png
    dsp3.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
I think I figured out. Just need to find cables motherboard connector to RCA. Result - WiFi streamer with Dirac for 1369Eur in one box.
If the new wiim mini pro had a display it could be done even cheaper. What a missed opportunity....

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

As mentioned by @Audiophonics this doesn't seem like the greatest idea from a gain staging perspective and you are throwing away tons of performance from the DAC and Hypex amp by adding the DDRC-24 AD/DA in the loop.

Are you running a stereo only system or do you have subs?

Michael

ags

As mentioned by @Audiophonics this doesn't seem like the greatest idea from a gain staging perspective and you are throwing away tons of performance from the DAC and Hypex amp by adding the DDRC-24 AD/DA in the loop.

Are you running a stereo only system or do you have subs?

Michael

Only stereo. Want to build new system.
Didn't know about gain problems.
Then probably will go for Wiim spdif -> miniDSP Flex -> AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC
or
Streamer/DAC with vol control -> miniDSP DDRC-24 -> AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC

Last edited:

wyup

Yes, it's fine. And if you ask me, 2Vrms max input sensitivity is a touch too high to use with regular 2Vrms unbal outputs. Why ? Because people don't want to put their DACs to 85% volume to get loud enough listening, nor having to work with these last 15% only as volume amplitude.
I'd rather use as much % of dac output volume as possible because attenuation is detrimental to SND or dynamic range, even more so if it's digital. The more you need to attenuate the more you need a preamp to push good enough signal to the power amp.

This is more important than pounding chest, and yes, my numbers are right. Including tolerances.

Last edited:
Top Bottom