• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC and DAW-S250NC : new integrated amps with DAC (streamer) and Ncore !

MCH

Major Contributor
from the looks of it this company has an amp module and a dac module and they stuck it in a box and that's it

there's no analog input because the dac board doesnt have adcs (or passthru)

curiously it has preout which is arguably superfluous on a 125w amp but it was a 'freebie' on the dac board

also check out the generic topping smsl rc8a remote

they shou;d have made the preouts to be switchable to analog input as per menu control (if at all electrically possible... obviously not)
You are probably right, but if it is what you need... It is like buying their nc252 stereo + a 200 eur DAC. Less versatile but everything in one box. Your choice

Now, 200 eur more for the linkplay streamer as per post #38 would not be my choice :D

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
from the looks of it this company has an amp module and a dac module and they stuck it in a box and that's it
That's pretty much what they did. With the addition of a screen/volume control board. Now that we said that, which manufacturer sells a standalone Ncore 252 amp below 1000€ euros? None. Below 2000€? None. Yes, you have to spend 2999€ to get, see, a Cambridge EVO150. Way better looking, way more features, but still 4 times the price pour the same qualities. ;)
curiously it has preout which is arguably superfluous on a 125w amp
Ever heard about subwoofers? ;)
they shou;d have made the preouts to be switchable to analog input as per menu control
No, they really should not.

with this feature set you're better off getting the Hypex power amp with a balanced DAC like the SMSL DA-6 (which is the cheapest balanced DAC).
Why? I mean: you are better off getting two separates (what I would also do). Yet, many (I mean, most) people do not want separates. See the integrated being either a pro or a cons, but there's a lot of demand for it.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i would imagine a dac having a subwoofer out would be weird

also i feel like if you have any sort of need for analog in you have to get a 2nd box or get bent? up to you and your euros

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1000017037.jpg
1000017036.jpg

And now DAW-S250NC with WiFi streamer at 899€ !

Redwine

View attachment 242982View attachment 242983

And now DAW-S250NC with WiFi streamer at 899€ !
If it just was Roon ready!

RosalieTheDog

i would imagine a dac having a subwoofer out would be weird

also i feel like if you have any sort of need for analog in you have to get a 2nd box or get bent? up to you and your euros
Balanced DACs with XLR and RCA usually allow both outputs to be used at the same time, so XLR to power amp(s) and RCA to powered subwoofer.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The entire history of audio science (as opposed to snake oil sales) is to reduce distortion in the recording and reproduction chain, not add it.

I have to disagree.

This is, for me, about preserving transparency, in the sense of avoiding to change the signal in any way UNLESS you knowledgeably decide to.

Your comment sound to me like the "audiophil extremism" that lead to ban the bass / trebble controls (not to speak about EQ) out of "audiophil" devices.

But there is nothing wrong with adding bass or trebble or any effect to your music, up to your taste, as long as you may decide by yourself to add it or not, if that's helping you to enjoy the music.

Same for that "effect".

My main problem with this gimmick is that it's probably too shy to be really usefull or for its effect to be heard.
If you want distortion that can be heard, you probably need to add several % (or tens of %) of it.

As in this pro microphone pre-amp I own and measured some time ago.
A serious bit more than what the Topping D90LE allows (as measured here), as an example.
And still, look at the figures: On the D90LE in "valve" mode, you add... 84dB of H2 distortion !

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
www.audiophonics.fr

AUDIOPHONICS DAW-S250NC Amplificateur Intégré Class D NCore DAC ES9038Q2M WiFi Bluetooth 5.0 2x250W 4 Ohm 32bit 768kHz DSD512 - Audiophonics

Polyvalent et performant, nous vous proposons avec le DAW-S250NC un réel amplificateur intégré et connecté auquel il suffira d'ajouter des enceintes pour profiter de votre musique de la meilleure manière possible... www.audiophonics.fr
Looking reasonable;

FFT measurement - 5W - 4 Ohm (C-weighted)
FFT%20DA-S250NC%20-%205W%20-%204%20Ohm.jpg

Definitely need to see this measured independently.

JSmith

tom_tom

Now with Linkplay streamer is "almost" perfect for me but I would still need at least one analog. I've found external dac that can take ARC signal from TV so HDMI can be skipped but no analog input is limiting factor.

MCH

Major Contributor
Now with Linkplay streamer is "almost" perfect for me but I would still need at least one analog. I've found external dac that can take ARC signal from TV so HDMI can be skipped but no analog input is limiting factor.

tom_tom

@MarcosCh Nice solution !
Follow-up question. I'm already using one DAC to connect with HDMI ARC from TV to RCA and use one remote to steer volume. I'm guessing that I would loose that functionality by using Swisssonic converter.

71Legse3NqL._SL1500_.jpg

MCH

Major Contributor
@MarcosCh Nice solution !
Follow-up question. I'm already using one DAC to connect with HDMI ARC from TV to RCA and use one remote to steer volume. I'm guessing that I would loose that functionality by using Swisssonic converter.

71Legse3NqL._SL1500_.jpg
No problem, the signal from your DAC will get out attenuated and the ADC will convert it as it is. Maybe others can comment if you will have significant noise when you set your tv at very low volume and the amp at very high volume...

I am not sure if I understand your setup well, but if your final objective is to connect your tv HDMI to the Audiophonics amp, you can also use a normal hdmi arc extractor and from that optical or coax directly to the amp and control the volume in the amp, I believe the results could be better, but I understand you don't want to do that?

tom_tom

I am not sure if I understand your setup well, but if your final objective is to connect your tv HDMI to the Audiophonics amp, you can also use a normal hdmi arc extractor and from that optical or coax directly to the amp and control the volume in the amp, I believe the results could be better, but I understand you don't want to do that?
Yep, exactly that. I wanted to avoid using 2 remotes therefore to avoid optical output from TV. But also one analog input inside integrated amp gives more freedom for connecting different devices like dac, turntable, streamer with buildin dac, or CD player etc.

BTW Peachtree release similar product calloed Carina ( Hypex + All digital inputs( but more ), similar screen ) + headphone out and nice chasis for 2K USD
carina-ge-rear-900h.jpg

carina-ge-front-900h.jpg

Last edited:

RosalieTheDog

Yep, exactly that. I wanted to avoid using 2 remotes therefore to avoid optical output from TV. But also one analog input inside integrated amp gives more freedom for connecting different devices like dac, turntable, streamer with buildin dac, or CD player etc.

BTW Peachtree release similar product calloed Carina ( Hypex + All digital inputs( but more ), similar screen ) + headphone out and nice chasis for 2K USD
carina-ge-rear-900h.jpg

carina-ge-front-900h.jpg
Più carina, infatti. :)

Damned

I'm thinking about buying it, to compare/replace my 2 flying mole mono blocks with Cambridge CXN for Scansonic MB1. I've always wanted to try ncore amp and it would very interesting if it can replace all those 3 boxes from ancient time ;) This one or the Sabaj A30a

Last edited:

amarsicola

Forum Donor
I was against integrated stuff in theory, then at some point my chi-fi super-sinadic dac misteriously got reset to -0db one day. Since it is advertised to remember the volume of the previous time, I confidently didn't mind checking the display.
Result: it boosted a 5v signal into my Audiophonics Purifi amplifier, that went into clipping and fried the tweeter of my Revel speakers.
And still I cannot see in the newer, cheaper and paradisiac-sinadic dacs from Topping the option to avoid having your speakers fried (which is simply to default volume at a moderate level when resetting the unit for any reason).
This is the point of such kind of integrated products: the hope that conscious european engineers have put some care in making all pieces work together.
@Audiophonics I hope this gets tested in performance by Amir and in usability by the many youtubers. I'm ready to buy one or to strongly advice it to everyone that is looking for a set-and-forget peace of mind

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Maybe the Dac of the unit is the good (but not excellent) DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M already reviewed by Amir

Top Bottom