• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC and DAW-S250NC : new integrated amps with DAC (streamer) and Ncore !

Ok, I downloaded the manual for this thing, which I am seriously considering buying. It all seemed like pretty standard stuff until I encountered this:

"3. 2nd harmonic This parameter allows you to adjust the gain level of the second harmonic, which can in some cases offer a more musical sound reproduction. Four gain levels are available: 1. Normal (default) 2. +3dB 3. +6dB 4. +12dB"

Would someone like to explain adjusting the gain of the second harmonic to me? How? Why? More musical sound reproduction ? !!!

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would someone like to explain adjusting the gain of the second harmonic to me? Why?
To please subjectivists.

Topping had the same idea with D90LE:
5918360.jpg

At the end of the day, you don't bother since you don't have to use it.

That is what I guessed, and I suppose it is easy enough to add distortion to an amplifier. The fact that I can turn off the snake oil doesn't help, it's existance is an insult. I feel exactly the same way about the modern "performance" cars that pipe fake engine noises thru the stereo. Not buying those either, I'm old enough to find them laughable.

MCH

Major Contributor
Well, I don't give a damn either but at least is something real, I would be pragmatic and just ignore it, let alone taking it as an insult.
Otherwise I recommend you not to visit certain DAC ICs manufacturers websites or you will end up having to bake your own chips....

"There is sound beyond sound. The sound beyond what our ears can hear is critical to the experience.
The experience is more important than the measurement.
AKM's years of experimentation have yielded a multitude of techniques to create sound that resonates, emotionally.
VELVET SOUND addresses every aspect of sound, building a world of authentic sonic experience.
"

RosalieTheDog

I see nothing in the manual about how the screen behaves, or if it is dimmable. Quite an important feature since so many of us use integrated amps in a HT set-up too.

I did however read this. Is this an artefact of the parts they assemble, or a promise of a future model of this amplifier with a streaming module?

1667640206798.png

Reactions: MCH

Geert

Major Contributor
Would someone like to explain adjusting the gain of the second harmonic to me? How? Why? More musical sound reproduction ? !!!

I think it's a smart move. Lots of audiophiles complain Class D sounds cold. Now they can add some warmth, and they can experience themselves they actually are adding distortion.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Adding harmonic distortion is a feature of the newer ESS chips. Since it's there already, why not offer it to the user and add a few lines in the manual?

Better yet would have been high pass for the speakers in case someone uses a subwoofer.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

wyup

it's nice but we don't have more specs about the dac, who makes the board, preamp and its pot..

brandonhall

Forum Donor
For that price, this is such an excellent unit. Personally, I wish it was a bit smaller than 12x12 but still a homerun!

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now this only needs a second build in DAC+ logicboard to do DSP with high- and low-pass :D

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
from the looks of it this company has an amp module and a dac module and they stuck it in a box and that's it

there's no analog input because the dac board doesnt have adcs (or passthru)

curiously it has preout which is arguably superfluous on a 125w amp but it was a 'freebie' on the dac board

also check out the generic topping smsl rc8a remote

they shou;d have made the preouts to be switchable to analog input as per menu control (if at all electrically possible... obviously not)

juliangst

I wouldn't call it a huge miss but with this feature set you're better off getting the Hypex power amp with a balanced DAC like the SMSL DA-6 (which is the cheapest balanced DAC).
Same functionality, smaller form factor and a bit cheaper.

When it comes to integrated amps in general I'd look for used older top of the line models from Denon, Marantz or Yamaha. Most of them can be found for less than 500€ and perform quite well and look a lot better than those modern integrates imho.

juliangst

Did you mean the SU-6? DA-6 is a small desktop "power amp".

JSmith
I’m always confusing those model names. I mean the D-6 which is the smaller sub 200€ DAC with TRS balanced out

Top Bottom