• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHILES: Are We Buying "THINGS" or "EXPERIENCES?"

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophilia is not about putting together 'a' system but an incessant vortex of box-swapping consumerism.
This is how it is in practice for many, but how SHOULD it be?

I think the goal ought to be putting together approximately 1 system that produces really good sound, sound that enables you to have a lot of good experiences. I think the box-swapping consumerism is the cliff alongside the ridge that the path to good experiences runs along. A pitfall to be avoided!

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would say that we are addicted consumers. Throughout our life most of us don't own 'a' system but what amounts to a dozen or two. Audiophilia is not about putting together 'a' system but an incessant vortex of box-swapping consumerism. Some of us have not one but several systems. Need is relative...
We buy the gear and 'a' system is an end in itself, it is trigered by our love of music but music is ultimately just a pretext, the system is for the sound.
No wonder normal music lovers think we're nuts.

A lot of "hobbies" are really just displays of consumerist ego-stroking.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually I agree with you, I was just pointing out that audiophools are chasing one experience after another via gear, which is interesting because we happen to know that a sizable subset of that gear actually doesn't do anything for the sound.

Am I right to infer you are using the term “audiophools” for those who go in for poorly justified audio gear/tweaks?

I presume you are not calling people “fools” simply for seeking different experiences (even through different audio gear)?

tuga

Major Contributor
Actually I agree with you, I was just pointing out that audiophools are chasing one experience after another via gear, which is interesting because we happen to know that a sizable subset of that gear actually doesn't do anything for the sound.

Please leave the generational stereotyping on the shelf with all the other stuff you mentioned. I'm a millennial, I rarely use social media, and buy everything I can secondhand, I have one snowboard, one snowboarding outfit, one stereo, (okay, two, but one is for the TV) one car I bought used, etc. Just because you happen to know a few young people who are irresponsible with money is really neither here nor there. I could level the same generalizations at GenX, Boomers or whoever else I wanted, if I was only concerned with personal anecdote.
There is no difference between subjectivity-driven audiophiles and those using a more rational approach. Both can be chasing the same consumerist thrills, and neither approach is universally better.

egellings

Major Contributor
I enjoy audio and got around those problems; my setup is mostly home brewed--amplification, speakers, TT setup.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of "hobbies" are really just displays of consumerist ego-stroking.

I don't doubt that you could find some of that in any hobby, but I do doubt overplaying that idea. Whenever I have interacted with anyone who has some other hobby - watches, motorcycles, knitting, chess, game-playing, whatever, I've never found someone who seems to be "doing it for their ego." What I see is honest enthusiasm.

That's mostly what I see in high end audio too, among audiophiles, even the rich ones I've known.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no difference between subjectivity-driven audiophiles and those using a more rational approach. Both can be chasing the same consumerist thrills, and neither approach is universally better.
Yes, to be sure. I was using "audiophools" as an example of people who are definitely buying experiences as well as things, because the things they buy often don't do anything at all, and they never settle on a single setup, always chasing the next experience (of installing a thing).

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Experiences can be packaged, sold, and consumed just like material goods. That isn’t an inherently bad thing per se, but I try to avoid thoughtless consumption. And that includes knowing when to switch off the endless playlist that is streaming media.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, to be sure. I was using "audiophools" as an example of people who are definitely buying experiences as well as things, because the things they buy often don't do anything at all, and they never settle on a single setup, always chasing the next experience (of installing a thing).
Yes, getting the experience of a new thing making them happy, even as it is illusory and somewhat materialistic as a way to obtain the experience. I've seen a few women go thru men the same way of course. Not with money, but offering and gaining a new experience. As well as the reverse.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, getting the experience of a new thing making them happy, even as it is illusory and somewhat materialistic as a way to obtain the experience. I've seen a few women go thru men the same way of course. Not with money, but offering and gaining a new experience. As well as the reverse.
The dating thing is actually not a bad analogy. What you "should" want is to find the right person/stereo to settle down with and be happy with for years to come. However, what people often become attached to is the hunt for a new person / stereo, where they get a lot of excitement and enjoyment out of the finding, and initial experiences, but not the having.

The only cure for this, of course, is to shift one's mindset... no number of first dates or new preamps will fill that leaky bucket.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Initially using the word "Experience" for the thread subject is too broad. [imo]
"Enjoyment" may be more descriptive and appropriate.
I may experience audio distortion but it does not mean that I will enjoy it.
...bad analogy...
?
I don't know!;)

Overseas

Major Contributor
I find any experience that can be bought as lame.
So, I pay for things.
I am human enough to get experiences for free, no offense.

FlyingFreak

I wonder how the people doing those studies would take our discussion. What choices have they made and why.

I would say buying gear is buying stuff, whether it’s a new vehicle, audio things or whatever. That is the definition of stuffs. Listening to music or driving is the experience. Yes gears enable and affect the experience somewhat but they aren’t it .

Thinking from the point of the authors of the study, I guess they defined experiences as something not perfectly repeatable. It needs some ethereal nature otherwise any gear is an experience (opening my fridge, sliding in my pj’s at night,etc). It’s non sensical from research point of view.

Having experiences (listening to music) on our own is isn’t comparable to going out, meeting others, sharing feelings with others, maybe exchanging words with friends, etc. something unique and in general that get us out of the comfort of our home to meet the world and some of the others we share it with.

Having said that, I bought a new system last month cause for 5 years I had nothing (tiny Bluetooth speakers). I’m enjoying the experience of listening to music now. First time in 5 years I’m listening to music at home. In this anecdotical recent lived experience I can very clearly distinguish between the anguish and highs of choosing and buying my system and listening to it. I was buying things, now I’m listening to music.

Now people who are gear enthusiasts and measure everything are actually closer to getting an experience with their gears. we could make a point that gears, in this case, is the experience. people who listen to their gears, even for things that can’t be audible, are buying experience. Me, I’m buying things and listening to music.

FlyingFreak

I find any experience that can be bought as lame.
So, I pay for things.
I am human enough to get experiences for free, no offense.
Type of experience you can’t have for free: visiting another country, going to a concert (or any show), eating out, getting massages, going to a spa, etc.

May I suggest you give one of those a try and come tell us how lame it was?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
We buy thinks to make a experince with them.

Not see why there should be any complex philosophy should be involved?

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We buy thinks to make a experince with them.

Not see why there should be any complex phielosophy should be involved?
Yes. If I want experiences, I have better ways than cockamamie snake-oil machines.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Experince, you can't experince M9 even 8361 is technically better. That SPL, big soundstage and clarity. Nope on small speaker.

FeddyLost

Unfortunately, if we look closely at this question, all that we have in life is constant stream of experiences, so "owning thing" is just another experience.
Even if we don't use thing according to its purpose, but remember that we have it, often we experience "background knowing that we own it".
It's like being a collectioner ... or compulsive hoarder maybe.
Psychologically healthy person usually buy experiences, but I see no problems if one can buy something luxurious just because Devialet is nicer than old Rotel and be happy.

Philbo King

I have a pretty utilitarian viewpoint. I pick up stuff I intend to use; the 'buying and acquiring' buzz does nothing for me; it's more of a burden (time spent researching, selecting, integrating, etc.). Being a musician, I only select instruments and gear I will use. I admit to having about 17 guitars, a recording studio, a piano, a keyboard, 3 synthesizers, and a variety of other instruments, guitar pedals, a bunch of good mics, mic stands, speaker stands, etc. that I use when recording. But the key thing is I use everything I have.

Since I am not wealthy, most of this gear was bought used.

There is a fascination some musicians (and apparently audiophiles with hardware gear) have with getting the 'latest and greatest' new stuff, called GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). The website formerly known as gearslutz.com (now gearspace.com) panders to this neurosis.

VST plugins are an example for recording nerds like me. It's easy to collect thousands of these, but each has a learning curve, each has a cost of ownership, and most importantly will suck time from my life that could be better spent writing and recording music.

So, to me, the choice is simple. If it doesn't get used regularly, it is removed...

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
I don't know if I would classify what I'm buying as things or experiences. It's somewhat experiences, but it's also very real physical therapy. I was born with Sensory Processing Sensitivity, which is a biologically-based hereditary trait characterized by increased awareness and sensitivity to the environment. Understanding SPS, and what is happening to me physically allows me to use music to calm my central nervous system and recouperate. I guarantee it exists audiophiles at a higher rate than the general population (which is around 20%) since SPS all about the stimulation of the senses and how that gets processed in the brain. Many peole here have it, are unaware of what is happening to themselves physically, but recognize they respond more deeply and emotionally to music that others seem to. Learning about it has changed my life.

Top Bottom