• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiles and "Synesthesia / Chromesthesia"

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hesitate to discuss any sort of medical related information but...

I'm sure this falls far short of Synesthesia, in fact I suspect many/most people would notice these if they looked for them... However, I have experienced the following (usually just before sleep, whilst in a darkened room and with eyes closed)...

If I hear a sharp sound (i.e. a surprising click or impact of some kind) it can cause me to perceive a brief burst of white light (even though my eyes are closed and the room is dark).

The other effect is similar in appearance to the afterglow that you see after looking at a bright light. The colours are not particularly vivid, but unlike an afterglow, they tend to swirl and move/pulse. The motion can appear to be correlated with music if it is playing at the time, however, this can also occur in silence.

I have to be in a fairly relaxed state to experience the above (I don't mean that as a euphemism for any sort of chemical modification)!

None of this really has any impact on what I'm looking for from my audio gear.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I've not had the particular experience, except in the moment perhaps when using psychedelics, I don't particularly doubt some people could have....

oceansize

Forum Donor
Ok, sorry, famous among hard rock guitarists (and classic hard rock fans) :)

Exploring Edward Van Halen’s Early Legendary “Brown Sound”​

I like classic hard rock, but I've never been a big fan of American "rawk". Not being disparaging - I used that to distinguish from the likes of Led Zep, Deep Purple, Floyd, Hendrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. that I do enjoy listening to.

dorakeg

Oh interesting.

I am thinking that something somewhat similar would be the way we feel when we see different colour.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rhubarb

Richard Cytowic revived scientific research into synesthesia — scientists(!) had come to believe it was bunk — and written several fascinating, serious, accessible books about it.

Synesthesia is a world unto itself that extends far beyond perceiving color hearing sound — or vice versa! — all of it mindblowing stuff — and on top of that, the cunning of the tests that had to be developed in order to investigate, tease things apart, and prove anything at all are cathedrals to science. For me, some of the most exciting science history I have read.

Anyhow, this book is short and easy but a vast feast:

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was reminded of this thread today:

I was at my friend's place listening to a super expensive system - big Estelon speakers, giant Hegel solid state amps and preamps etc. As he has a very nice turntable I brought some records I know well. The system was "super resolving" in terms of recorded detail, tight image focus, palpable presence of instruments and vocals. But to my brain it all sounded "the wrong tonal color." Basically, all versions of gray. So acoustic guitars on Gordon Lightfoot tracks which on my system evoke in my brain a 'golden sparkly warm woody tone' - much as my own acoustic guitar does - sounded...well..sort of tonally black and white. In terms of comparing to real life, this means that I can close my eyes on my system and somewhat sink in to the illusion of hearing something like the real thing in timbral terms. On that system, as vivid as it was, I could never gain that same experience.

Nothing at all scientific about that, just a report of subjective experience (as the experience evoked in each of our minds in front of different sound systems will of course be subjective).

Chaconne

I'm pretty sure I read that French composer Olivier Messiaen had synesthesia and spoke about "yellow chords" and "blue chords" thinking others would know what he meant.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard of it! :D
In order to hear it you have to make sure the knob is set to the right selection! Otherwise you'll hear something else, like clean or crunch. :)

img_gallery_100_04_panel.jpg

Top Bottom