• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiles and knowledge?

Drone/doom

I used to be active on Reddit, Head fi i really loathe how rude they get when anything they say is challenged. Like how i was flamed that EQ can help speakers/headphones, Then cue the reviewer on Reddit overreacting when someone asked a FR chart.

Hypnotoad

It's the same at most forums, if you go against the grain, just try saying you think Vinyl is superior on here. ;)

BillG

Major Contributor
Yeah, well... Most people aren't technologically literate when it comes to this stuff. Throw in a bunch of con artists, who are very good at selling pseudoscience, and it just turns into a mess - particularly in light of the number of subjectivist reviewers who write for "respected" publications unwittingly peddling the same.

Fortunately there are a number of us, hosting other forums, who are doing their best to educate the general public. It can still be a bit of an uphill battle, though we continue with our efforts... :cool:

Wombat

Master Contributor
It's the same at most forums, if you go against the grain, just try saying you think Vinyl is superior on here. ;)

It depends on what you say it is superior to. Definitely better than wax cylinders and shellac discs.

OP
D

Drone/doom

Yeah, well... Most people aren't technologically literate when it comes to this stuff. Throw in a bunch of con artists, who are very good at selling pseudoscience, and it just turns into a mess - particularly in light of the number of subjectivist reviewers who write for "respected" publications unwittingly peddling the same.

Funny you should say that since the thread it happend on the reviewer is always very pro multi driver IEM's and had 2 times refuse DBT's the moment his reviews are questioned?. His mod on his discord/users tried poorly schooling how 10 - 16 mm beats 5 - 9 mm with no clue how IEM bass works, Your filling a small ear chamber.

Stopping using it since i got attacked on giving the ER3XR a rec to someone by the same mod as if there views are facts?.

Last edited:
OP
D

Drone/doom

Too add more on #5, Yes i was called childish names because the ER4 i used sound's great with 6db starting from either 125Hz or 200Hz. Also its bit rich that reviewer was using FR charts about why some IEM's sound odd but going the extra mile on using PEQ nope too much.

Probably upset that a carefully done ER4S(6db bass) or a very heavily Westone W40 can rival his A+ to S++ tiers.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
just try saying you think Vinyl is superior

A big problem in this hobby is people trying to convince each other that one thing is "superior" to another, which can easily lead to disagreements. I prefer to talk about what I like and make it clear that it's a personal preference. I have no problem with people enjoying vinyl, but I do really if they try to convince me that I shouldn't enjoy my digital collection because vinyl is "better" somehow.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
cue the reviewer on Reddit overreacting when someone asked a FR chart

In my short time in the hobby I've come to the conclusion that frequency response is almost everything. That really rubs some people the wrong way because it contradicts the concensus that expensive stuff is better than cheaper stuff because, you know, "resolution" or whatever.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Fortunately there are a number of us, hosting other forums, who are doing their best to educate the general public. It can still be a bit of an uphill battle, though we continue with our efforts... :cool:

It is a jungle out there...but it is always satisfying to see some stumble onto this and maybe a few other sites...like I did...and have the world of audio suddenly make more sense. It's almost as if it's...ummm....science... and not this mystical cult that requires faith and money to reach audio nirvana.

Ignorance being cured is awesome.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It is a jungle out there...but it is always satisfying to see some stumble onto this and maybe a few other sites...like I did...and have the world of audio suddenly make more sense. It's almost as if it's...ummm....science... and not this mystical cult that requires faith and money to reach audio nirvana.

Ignorance being cured is awesome.

Knowledge without understanding is next to useless in discussion.

OP
D

Drone/doom

In my short time in the hobby I've come to the conclusion that frequency response is almost everything. That really rubs some people the wrong way because it contradicts the concensus that expensive stuff is better than cheaper stuff because, you know, "resolution" or whatever.

Same with THD because the all ER4's are 0.45% in the bass area and there no mid bass hump. Which explains why the BA sounds cleaner and that DD bass slam that Headfi/Reddit tout is just a error on dynamic drivers that makers exploit.

Funny how many replies i got saying that the ER4's BA can't handle bass without either trying it with good fit or making dumb excuses. Like the ER4SR being lazer flat from 20 - 1000Hz which means no mid bass bloat that warm to basshead gear suffer from.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
Same with THD because the all ER4's are 0.45% in the bass area and there no mid bass hump. Which explains why the BA sounds cleaner and that DD bass slam that Headfi/Reddit tout is just a error on dynamic drivers that makers exploit.

Funny how many replies i got saying that the ER4's BA can't handle bass without either trying it with good fit or making dumb excuses. Like the ER4SR being lazer flat from 20 - 1000Hz which means no mid bass bloat that warm to basshead gear suffer from.

Etymotic does make great sounding stuff. Sadly I can't come to terms with the deep insertion fit.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Etymotic does make great sounding stuff. Sadly I can't come to terms with the deep insertion fit.

Yeah...'just the tip' is never very satisfying...

Top Bottom