• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile Setup Question - All in One DAC/Amp/Streamer? <$5k Desktop Solution

Jackhifi

So let me start off by explaining my current setup:

Hifiman Sundara
CA Solaris 2020
KEF LSX Speakers
Ifi Micro iDSD Signature(for when I'm at a desk - hoping to use this once WFH is over and I have to be in the office) + L&P W2(for mobile)

I'm looking for a home desktop set up (DAC + Headphone amp + Preamp) as an endgame solution with certain needs:
- 70% of the time I will be listening with headphones so would need a pretty good headphone amp built in (future headphone upgrades expected)
- Needs wired connection to KEF LSX (Computer -> DAC -> KEF)
- Need to connect a turntable (already have a phono preamp) to output to headphones and the speakers - seems like a lot of all in one DAC units doesn't have RCA inputs only digital (this is the one I'm having trouble with)
- Roon ready for future expandability - would like it to be a Streamer, thus Roon.
- Will be living on my desktop but may one day use it for a home stereo set up - expandability
- Ideally $5k or less budget (if it's an all in one solution that can meet all my needs I don't mind spending on it)
- I mostly use TIDAL and don't have a personal library of music so will be using this for TIDAL and vinyl records

From my research here on the website I started my search at the Schiit Magnius Modius stack and then moved up to the Topping A90+D90 but both of these would rely on my computer to play music. So I started looking at more all in one units with a streamer built in but most of them seem overkill for a desktop solution although they would let me expand in the future. I started looking at the NAIM Uniti Atom but it doesn't have balanced headphone outputs and only 1 simple headphone port so I'm not sure if that would be ideal or if the headphone output is any good. I also looked at the Matrix Audio Element X but doesn't seem like that would accommodate my turntable. Cambridge EVO looks interesting as well. The reason I really like the NAIM is I gravitate towards it's design as I'm a designer myself so appreciate those things and they're important to me - I wouldn't spend several thousand dollars on something that doesn't look good in my space.

Any solutions here you guys could recommend for something for my "endgame" needs - I'm spending way too much time browsing the internet for reviews and would like to get something and not have to worry about it and actually enjoy the music lol

Thank for your help!

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ships in July
Brooklyn Bridge II

However, my opinion is that if you were to take a more modular approach to your system, you will save $ and achieve better performance compared to this all in one.

Christ0

The NAD c658 preamp. It has about every feature known to mankind onboard: Dac, mqa, phono input, Dirac live and BlueOs streaming. It‘s also upgradable with MDC modules.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The NAD c658 preamp. It has about every feature known to mankind onboard: Dac, mqa, phono input, Dirac live and BlueOs streaming. It‘s also upgradable with MDC modules.
The Headphone out looks like crap. Impedance is 6 ohms and they don't even publish the power output.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I will do you a deal. Get this https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs.html and pay me £500 for my brand new , never opened Chromecast Audio and hook that up to the RME optical in. Fully Roon compatible up to either 192khz or 96. I can never remember which.

£20 to £50 for adapters for your RCA to TRS analog inputs and the twin TRS to XLR headphone outputs

Job done.

OP
J

Jackhifi

So modular seems to be the way to go. The RME I looked at but it’s out of production! I just purchased the Topping A90 only to realize the D90 is completely sold out bc of a fire at the AKM factory and they said it wouldn’t be back in stock for at least 6 months. I guess I can use the ifi micro signature for now until I can get the D90. This seems to work for now except the streaming part but I don’t need that yet..

May return the A90 if someone else has a better suggestion but doesn’t seem like there’s one product that can do it all. Expected but was hoping for something like that!

Top Bottom