• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile seating [poll]

Do you believe that your seating affects your audio?

• Yes, I have noticed this, and just live with it.

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • Yes, I have noticed this, and bought a new furniture that doesn't have this issue.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • No, I have not noticed this before today, but now I hear it.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I do not believe this affects audio in any meaningful way.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I do not believe in this "theory".

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I believe furniture can affect the sound, but I haven't bothered to investigate.

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where is the choice for "Yes, I have measured this" ??

Room Frequency Response 3.7i with resistors in 900 Hz is 1-5 inch wavelength.jpg

izeek

I can hear the reflections off the back wall and the door. I put a towel up the other day which got rid off a little slap. I plan on doing some better room treatment there soon. And on the wall.
I have a nice desk chair I tried but I could really hear the back and sides of it after experimenting with this chair.
0501211917.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
completely false, comfort abounds here ............... https://shop.stressless.com/en/c/recliners
Those are what we have for decades but whilst I agree they are comfortable they definitely have a substantial detrimental effect on SQ which I have been aware of for at least 20 years. Serge's lambskin rug or my multi folded wool blanket over the headrest makes a big improvement.
I have an Eames chair too bought many years ago because of this SQ degradation, but it is nowhere near as comfortable - though the comb like effects of the near ear reflections aren't there so it does fix the SQ problem.
I choose Stressless with anti reflection rug on the headrest over the Eames 99% of the time.

Twitch54

Those are what we have for decades but whilst I agree they are comfortable they definitely have a substantial detrimental effect on SQ which I have been aware of for at least 20 years. Serge's lambskin rug or my multi folded wool blanket over the headrest makes a big improvement.
I have an Eames chair too bought many years ago because of this SQ degradation, but it is nowhere near as comfortable - though the comb like effects of the near ear reflections aren't there so it does fix the SQ problem.
I choose Stressless with anti reflection rug on the headrest over the Eames 99% of the time.

my Stressless is plenty comfortable without the head rest extended, as for the rest of the chair being detrimental to SQ, not for me ( 6'1" 238lbs) very little of the chair is exposed !

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
my Stressless is plenty comfortable without the head rest extended, as for the rest of the chair being detrimental to SQ, not for me ( 6'1" 238lbs) very little of the chair is exposed !
It is only the headrest I think, the reflections from other parts of the chair don't have an influence I notice anyway.
The two Stressless chairs I have used over the last decades did not have an adjustable headrest and despite being 6' tall myself the fixed headrest on both of them comes to the top of my head.
The "comb filter" weirdness is worst at higher frequencies and most noticeable (and annoying) when my head is actually touching the headrest.
The biggest expanse of the chair exposed is the bit either side of my head - which is the worst bit for spoiling the sound.

Last edited:

David Harper

My personal fix for this "problem" ; forget about it.
Only my opinion. IMO audiophiles spend way too much time and energy thinking about things which, in the overall cosmic scheme of things, just aren't important. I used to obsess about stuff like this myself until it occurred to me that it was ruining my enjoyment of my system and the music.
Once I read a story about a guy who was in bed with a woman who was so beautiful that all he could think of was how envious his friends would be if they could see him at that moment. As a result he couldn't just get into it. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but it seems somehow related.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My personal fix for this "problem" ; forget about it.
Only my opinion. IMO audiophiles spend way too much time and energy thinking about things which, in the overall cosmic scheme of things, just aren't important. I used to obsess about stuff like this myself until it occurred to me that it was ruining my enjoyment of my system and the music.
Once I read a story about a guy who was in bed with a woman who was so beautiful that all he could think of was how envious his friends would be if they could see him at that moment. As a result he couldn't just get into it. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but it seems somehow related.
I agree that people get carried away with a lot of things, and I usually don't obsess over things a lot of people do, and hate dicking about evaluating equipment but this effect is both, IME, a stand out effect and easy to fix in seconds, so why not.

It has as big an effect in its own way as speaker position in the room and listening position, which both IME trump pretty well everything else about sound quality and are extremely time consuming to fix - and often won't be because a lot of people don't want their speakers in the optimum location ffor visual or convenience reasons.

Twitch54

The two Stressless chairs I have used over the last decades did not have an adjustable headrest

gotcha, mine does(forgot the model though) and I can honestly say it's never used !

The biggest expanse of the chair exposed is the bit either side of my head - which is the worst bit for spoiling the sound.

yes, I could see that.......

egellings

Major Contributor
A little ol' wooden rocking chair is what I use. My head sits higher than the chair's back, so there's no chair interference with sound quality.

Top Bottom