• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile nervosa off the chain...

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is currently working its way down the east coast to me in a big brown truck...

zqj9e8ifb8xvdpimenvw.jpg

Why "General Audio?" Well, it's about as general as it gets to me, but it's related here, because it was custom ordered by the original owner, and the specs read like an audiophile amp -- the hardware is not pressed, but milled from stainless steel, and the pickups, pots, switches and wiring have been...wait for it...cryogenically treated.

I kid you not. Now, other than the bridge plate, I don't think it means a thing that the steel is milled (and it probably doesn't mean much for the bridge plate). And the frozen parts? Please. What it means to me is a better than custom shop-quality Telecaster in a Jazzmaster body, on the cheap. And it's pretty, in its own fundamental way.

Tim

TBone

Major Contributor
This is currently working its way down the east coast to me in a big brown truck...

In that case, hope it's well packed.

Just an observation, I often feel that audiophiles and musicians are like venus and mars ... when fellow audiophiles visit to "evaluate" my system, I hardly care/blink. However, when a musician arrives (they generally don't give a rats-ass about audiophilia), I very much appreciate their far more down-to-earth musical / instrument based appraisals. Go figure ...

OP
Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk

In that case, hope it's well packed.

Just an observation, I often feel that audiophiles and musicians are like venus and mars ... when fellow audiophiles visit to "evaluate" my system, I hardly care/blink. However, when a musician arrives (they generally don't give a rats-ass about audiophilia), I very much appreciate their far more down-to-earth musical / instrument based appraisals. Go figure ...

Thanks for the well-wishes. It arrived well-packed and intact. And it's pretty awesome. Though...are you a guitarist? Its neck is a fatty, and I've not played a 25.5" scale much in the last year or so...so my hands went through a bit of adjustment for a couple of days.

Tim

TBone

Major Contributor
Thanks for the well-wishes. It arrived well-packed and intact. And it's pretty awesome. Though...are you a guitarist? Its neck is a fatty, and I've not played a 25.5" scale much in the last year or so...so my hands went through a bit of adjustment for a couple of days.

Hi Tim.

No, as my cheesy bio (intro's) noted; my brother was well versed, all types of friends/guitars/strings ... long before I knew a what from a watt. That dna probably why luv great guitar players to this day. I can play a real mean air-guitar, but ... let's not pretend, unfortunately, my hands and brain don't work like a musicians should. I've tried!!!! So, I envy you guys big time, to the point of jealousy. That's why I took up fishing ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well...

If you can't make it on-stage, there are other opportunities in the muzak business.

1982, sing the high harmonies from the soundboard, and try to keep it all together with a
rocking 50's 60's 70's 80's show. Teen Angel through Beatles through Steely Dan though
Gimme Back My Bullets to Born for Adventure may give you an idea of the repertoire.

Here's me in my Halloween Special Goodwill Industries Used Car Salesman outfit...

2016-03-27_2218.png

TBone

Major Contributor
:D shady & cool, the kind of cool that leads to #1 ...
huey.jpg

Dynamix

zqj9e8ifb8xvdpimenvw.jpg

Why "General Audio?" Well, it's about as general as it gets to me, but it's related here, because it was custom ordered by the original owner, and the specs read like an audiophile amp -- the hardware is not pressed, but milled from stainless steel, and the pickups, pots, switches and wiring have been...wait for it...cryogenically treated.

I kid you not. Now, other than the bridge plate, I don't think it means a thing that the steel is milled (and it probably doesn't mean much for the bridge plate). And the frozen parts? Please. What it means to me is a better than custom shop-quality Telecaster in a Jazzmaster body, on the cheap. And it's pretty, in its own fundamental way.

Tim

Nice axe, congrats!

Sure, the milled parts probably won't make much of a difference, if at all, but I bet they look good. And I'll be the first to admit that looks certainly do matter when buying instruments.

OP
Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk

Nice axe, congrats!

Sure, the milled parts probably won't make much of a difference, if at all, but I bet they look good. And I'll be the first to admit that looks certainly do matter when buying instruments.

The knobs are pretty. The bridge? Well, I suppose the plate is prettier than the traditional Tele ashtray bridge, but any bridge that uses vintage Tele saddles was actually designed not to be seen. They're not pretty, but highly functional and comfortable enough under the hand. My favorite bridge is this one:

t4image13.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a guitar with one of these at the moment.

Tim

Top Bottom