• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile Music Must Haves?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sweet! I am completely unfamiliar with the man and his music, but I shall have to check this out, thanks.
The Quintet has a light touch.

First I heard of them, right here.

Love this aspect of ASR.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also adore this album of Scott Joplin's music as performed by the New England Conservatory Ragtime Ensemble:

Rip City Dave

DVD audio 5.1 mixes of the Flaming Lips:

The Soft Bulletin
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
At War with the Mystics

The two-channel mixes on the DVDs are great, too.

Ge0

CAPJ_8192_SA__83633__03092020124744-4980.jpg

SACD version with stereo and surround mix
One of my favorites of all time.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I don't see the problem, really.
You post whatever piece of music you find has flawless production. That is the only criteria. Good sound by audiophile standards.
Now, if you don't like certain genre or artist, you don't have to buy it or listen to it. It is just a recommendation, it is not obligatory.
Sometimes you try something new, sometimes you like it...
A wonderfull aspect of music is that it is broad and has different potentials. Some music lets you dance, some for relaxing, some for daydreaming etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would add:
John Hassell and Brian Eno,"Possible Musics"
Haroumi Hosono, "Paraiso"
Jack White, "Acoustics Recordings 1998-2016"
Alice in Chains, MTV Unpluged (same for the Nirvana one)
Mark Hollis, "Mark Hollis"
Minutemen, "Double Nickles on the Dime"
The Cure, "Seventeen seconds"

Last edited:

fcracer

Forum Donor
Any EDM that’s well recorded that people recommend? Infected Mushroom’s Converting Vegetarians sounds pretty good, but I don’t know how that compares to a really well recorded EDM album.

Kegemusha

Any EDM that’s well recorded that people recommend? Infected Mushroom’s Converting Vegetarians sounds pretty good, but I don’t know how that compares to a really well recorded EDM album.

Not sure if you can clasify Thomas Fehlmann as EDM but this CD is pretty good.

McFly

Might seem strange, but at first glance, I'd propose:
* David Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and Black Sabbath's Master of Reality, incredibly clean releases.
* Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, with a one-of-a-kind, "hospital white" sterile clarity (that fits the content to a T) due to the strange recording techniques used. I cite Wikipedia:

* Very clean synth-pop/EBM/industrial like Alphaville's Forever Young, NIN's Pretty Hate Machine or Cocteau Twins' Garlands does wonders too.
* BIS' Eine Alpensinfonie, because this piece was the first work pressed on CD (due to its dynamic range, I've heard), and because BIS is known for its incredible sound engineering. The performance is also very good, of course. The whole is transcendental.
* Kraftwerk's Die Mensch-Maschine and Computerwelt remasters are stunning, and I find clean electronic music quite flattering for good speakers.
* Swans' early stuff (Filth, Cop, Young God, Greed, Holy Money and Children of God) along with Godflesh's Streetcleaner, because overwhelming violence and a capable full-range system are complementary.
Is that you Darko?

Pluto

Forum Donor
If anyone can find me a better example of audiophile bliss at every level, I'll gladly buy them several large beers…

Mahler 3 front.jpg

The music itself, the performance and the sheer power of the package.
This record defines the meaning of the term “dynamic range”. I doubt this recording
could ever have been viable on vinyl.

Mahler 3 back.jpg

…also available on SACD, if you can find it.

Daverz

Major Contributor
A recording of Mahler's Second Symphony. I like this specific performance, sound is more than good enough. Mahler's "Resurrection" symphony is written on a massive dynamic scale, is dramatically engaging, displays a wide range of tonal colors and combinations. It tests the limits of playback gear. The link is to the first movement, the entire work runs to about an hour and twenty minutes, some versions fit [barely] onto a single CD:

For a more modern recording, I'd suggest Ivan Fischer's SACD

41YOcwmOjTL.jpg

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Are there any budget SACD players you recommend? I've been curious but only Pink Floyd is really all I'd be interested in buying on SACD.....

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flawless production, but pretty sure you won't play it loud....

Doesn't actually seem to have too much dynamic range, but when the singer does that voice thing of hers, she reminds me of Eli from the movie "Let the Right One In" which I just re-watched last night.

levimax

Major Contributor
Muddy Waters Folk Singer
Miles Davis Kind of Blue
Ella Fitzgerald Clap Hands here comes Charlie
AC/DC Back in Black
Lyle Lovett Joshua Judges Ruth

concorde1

Most of my music sounds very good (I collect albums choosing the best releases of each, not just blindly grabbing a random release).

But one that sounds absolutely fantastic is the Analogue Productions SACD (I use the CD layer) of Music For Bang Baaroom And Harp:

https://www.discogs.com/Dick-Schory...sic-For-Bang-Baaroom-And-Harp/release/9365880

I even like the music itself!

EDIT: Another fantastic release is: https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Pa...d-Imagination-Edgar-Allan-Poe/release/1581726
https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Pa...-Imagination-Edgar-Allan-Poe/release/16001408
Tales Of Mystery And Imagination - MFSL Gold CD
It's very pricey unless you get lucky though.

Are there any budget SACD players you recommend? I've been curious but only Pink Floyd is really all I'd be interested in buying on SACD.....
I haven't tried Pink Floyd SACD's but the original Harvest CD's are very good in my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom