• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile Music Must Haves?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28849
  • Start date

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
71lv4fRZBGL._SY355_.jpg

one of the best sounds I know
Sweet! I am completely unfamiliar with the man and his music, but I shall have to check this out, thanks.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Brianc

Another vote for Holly Coles "Temptation". Beautiful record. And since new stuff rarely gets mentioned in these kinds of lists, I'll mention Snowpoet's "Wait for Me". Not audiophile in the way the Holly Cole album is (i.e. simply recorded, minimalist production), but it sounds fantastic to me, especially on headphones.

Midwest Blade

Mark Waldrep's AIX Label has some of the best 5.1 blu ray recordings I have heard. Some also have stereo 2.0 versions included which I would easily put into the "audiophile" category.

Berlin

I listened today to these recordings:

- Nitin Sawhney "Beyond Skin", 1999
- Bugge Wesseltoft "Somewhere In Between", 2016
- Dexter Gordon "One Flight Up", 1964
- Talk Talk "Laughing Stock", 1991

According to my taste, they all sound great on my system in my room. Don't know if it qualifies them as audiophile records... ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my favorites is the 50th anniversary bluray multich mix of Jimi Hendrix' Electric Ladyland...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Jazz at the Pawnshop is often cited, but the playing is so whitebread it hurts

I was so disappointed on getting this one (the multich sacd set). Whitebread is a good description.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was so disappointed on getting this one (the multich sacd set). Whitebread is a good description.
On the other hand:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The soundtrack from the Robert Altman film Kansas City features some great jazz across the spectrum:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, I was waiting for ages thinking ‘this recording sounds good, I can’t wait for the jazz to start...’

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yep, I was waiting for ages thinking ‘this recording sounds good, I can’t wait for the jazz to start...’
A real nice stone classic, mono but still earcandy:

rkbates

Forum Donor
Joe Jackson Body and Soul
Roger Waters Amused to Death
Janis Ian Breaking Silence
Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking just keeps getting better, but Amused to Death didn't impress on first listen. May be time to give it another try.

Loathecliff

Jazz at the Pawnshop is often cited, but the playing is so whitebread it hurts
Indeed.
It didn't take me long to work out why I'd been given my copy :(
I forget who I inflicted it on soon after.

I must have misunderstood the thread title as I was going to answer:-
Freedom from artifice.

Favourite jazz track:- Idle Moments, Grant Green.
Fifteen minutes of laid back bliss with 'reach out and touch' recording quality; & it was recorded late '62.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking just keeps getting better, but Amused to Death didn't impress on first listen. May be time to give it another try.
You need to listen with speakers, not headphones, to hear the spatial effects of Q-Sound.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
A recording of Mahler's Second Symphony. I like this specific performance, sound is more than good enough. Mahler's "Resurrection" symphony is written on a massive dynamic scale, is dramatically engaging, displays a wide range of tonal colors and combinations. It tests the limits of playback gear. The link is to the first movement, the entire work runs to about an hour and twenty minutes, some versions fit [barely] onto a single CD:

Bernstein is about the only conductor who could conduct the first movement at such a slow tempo and still keep the momentum together.

Top Bottom