• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile jewelry - most beautiful Cd players, turntables and other gear

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I thought Bob Carver most always had good taste in the cosmetic design of his gear.
A few of my personal fav's were,

The Phase Linear 4000 Series II Preamp, a forward thinking design incorporating some innovative noise reduction- dynamic range expansion & rumble filter circuits that could be quite valuable at improving the flawed sources of the time.
11964827-7685-1__08725.1510789552.jpg

Not to mention the Phase Linear 700B power amp, one of which I owned for many years.
pl700B.jpg

Also the Phase Linear 5000 FM Tuner, designed by A.P. Van Meter and reputed to be a very good tuner in it's day.
00F0F_7PvO3Hc3UT2_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Waxx

Major Contributor
Full snakeoil priced, but gorgious looking i have to say. It's the Thomas Mayer 211 Single Ended Mono Power Amplifier, in this version (silver wire transfo's) only 145K for a pair (like shown). These are only build on order off course.

P1.jpg

The power supplies (the two towers in the middle) use a hybrid rectifier bridge with two 866A and two 6AU4 tubes. The amp itself is a 211 driving a 211 tube. All electronics are discrete, transformer coupled and with big oil caps like a true snake oil amp should be. And all this gives you a 2 x 20w of tubepower...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardly in the same price league as a lot of audiophile stuff, but the SEAS Excel woofers are spiffy looking:

W18.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hardly in the same price league as a lot of audiophile stuff, but the SEAS Excel woofers are spiffy looking:
Looks like what Joseph Audio uses. ;)

Perspective+2+Graphene-003.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like what Joseph Audio uses. ;)

Perspective+2+Graphene-003.png
Yup. Not the easiest to cross over because of the rising characteristic and the 5kHz peak, but worth a little trouble.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yup. Not the easiest to cross over because of the rising characteristic and the 5kHz peak, but worth a little trouble.
I've heard the Joseph stuff at shows a number of times and found them very listenable.
The current pricing of the Perspective 2 Graphene model I heard is now $21,000+ :eek:
Cabinetry and the rest is incredibly beautiful, at that price it better be.

John Atkinson both reviewed and measured the older Perspective towers
and in an uncharacteristic manner gave them somewhat of a negative slam finding them "lean in bass, unforgiving in the treble and hot" to paraphrase his words. Highly unusual, I got the feeling he was put off by their $13,000 pricing, and that was 10 years ago ???

Audioagnostic

I just ordered this, to use as a transport:
View attachment 247343View attachment 247346
View attachment 247345View attachment 247344
New Shanling EC3. Sure, it is by no means Audio Jewelry. But it is decently cheap for a top-loading CDP!
Hi @VintageFlanker ,

How is your experience with this player? Most important for me is the ability to play scratched disks. I have a lot of CDs with a bit of damage that play fine in my current player but gave me issues in my previous one.

Looking for a small player the Shanling seems to be a nice looking option. If I understand correctly it also has volume control so I would not need a pre amp or dac.

This will make my wife happy as well. Less boxes...

Thanks in advance!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 336828

I've said before that I generally don't like seeing speaker drivers, and prefer the clean look of a speaker with the grills on. Speaker drivers tend to distract me and they make me aware of precisely where the sound is coming from.

HOWEVER, the Seas drivers are one of the very few drivers I actually like the looks off. They look really high quality and I like the copper phase plug too, which on the Joseph Perspective speakers I own matches the copper ring around the tweeter. So the speakers look even more luxurious with the grills off.

Joseph audio uses their ultra steep "infinite slope" crossover, in this case a super steep drop for the SEAS woofers, which Joseph claims allows them to take advantage of the desirable qualities (e.g. good power/long throw output) of such drivers while avoiding the resonances. All I can say is that the Joseph speakers are about the smoothest sounding speakers I've heard so I think they are doing something right.

John Atkinson both reviewed and measured the older Perspective towers
and in an uncharacteristic manner gave them somewhat of a negative slam finding them "lean in bass, unforgiving in the treble and hot" to paraphrase his words. Highly unusual, I got the feeling he was put off by their $13,000 pricing, and that was 10 years ago ???

Yeah I remember that. I first heard the original perspectives and then later saw the Stereophile review and it took me back a little bit. But I didn't find the originals too bright and they worked well in my room. Then I had them upgraded to the "2" version with the new graphene drivers and re-worked crossover, and as JA noted in the follow up review of the newer Perspectives, they are smoother in the highs and no longer struck him as bright, but wrote: "The new edition of Joseph Audio's Perspective is a superbly well-balanced loudspeaker..." which is what I hear too.

And per the thread, I find they are nice "audio jewellery" too.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Me not so much. The SAE "industrial" look was very busy and I find the numerous red LEDs and indicators to be relentless.

Not "industrial", rather maybe "lab instrument" as for ARC equipment is more to my taste. Though perhaps I slightly prefer the older look to the newest.

Product-Ref-6-Front.jpg

Audio-Research-Reference-1.jpg
I think the lab equipment aesthetic gave men who weren’t important the sense that they were doing something important when they adjusted the controls. Haha.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the lab equipment aesthetic gave men who weren’t important the sense that they were doing something important when they adjusted the controls. Haha.
By "the lab equipment aesthetic" you referring Audio Research (ARC) stuff for which I stated a fondness ... I suppose you're right (at least in some cases).

But generalize that a bit. All expensive equipment of pretentious appearance is designed to make the owner feel, important, smart, rich, chic, or trendy.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
By "the lab equipment aesthetic" you referring Audio Research (ARC) stuff for which I stated a fondness ... I suppose you're right (at least in some cases).

But generalize that a bit. All expensive equipment of pretentious appearance is designed to make the owner feel, important, smart, rich, chic, or trendy.
I am completely guilty of this by the way! Ha! Audio Research is one. But lots of other older stuff has that lol too. Gear and the mastery of it is a challenge that gives us a feeling of having expertise. Something we all want.

thunderchicken

I was thinking Nagra, but same deal. I love ARC stuff too.

Anton D

Ah, the standard Hi Fi virtual signaling list!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Phase Linear 4000 Series II Preamp

I'm not sure of the actual timeline, but sometime in the late '70s Carver sold his company to Pioneer. Pioneer then marketed some of their more expensive 'Japan only' gear under the Phase Linear name. Also, about that time they also imported other 'higher end' gear under their Series 20 moniker. Pioneer was probably the largest consumer electronics manufacturer in the world back then--now a former shell of what it once was.

Phase Series II 4000 appeared around the time Carver left, sporting a similar but modified front panel. The original preamp had the 'famous' joystick control. I guess that was for some kind of 4-channel balance?

I don't know if the Series II was a 'Carver' design or a Pioneer. Or a hybrid caught up in the middle of the corporate transition. Below is a pic of the first gen, lifted from the Skyfi site. For the collector it would be something pretty unique, but I wouldn't want to try and get it serviced today.

phase.jpg

Peerke007

Bought this little amp just before the millennium. Special made (one out of seven in total) Houston mini 1998 with separate power unit and passive selector. The amplifier was completely redesigned and made with hard-wired high quality components and thick silver wire.

Jewelry or not, it sounds great to my ears.

Attachments

• Houston mini 1998 l.jpg
    Houston mini 1998 l.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom