• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile Electronic components

Mivera

Major Contributor
Blizz

I hope this attempt is not futile. There is not much difference your post #17 and what some very extreme subjective people post about their cryo'd outlets. We have only your (and their) words to go by. No proofs, no mention of the conditions under which your evaluations were conducted ... Some of us here have been proven of the power of biases. Just saying that the differences were mind boggling cannot be construed as proof , the same way those who love analog find it always superior to digital, or will extoll the virtues of the (very expensive) Entreq grounding boxes... If we find ourselves skeptical about their findings , why wouldn't we apply the same treatment to yours?

There is actual reason's caps, coils and resistors sound different. Why don't you read what is said here:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/mundorf/1.html

But if you're in the camp where you think all you need for the best sound out of a speaker is one that looks good on paper then you are a lucky guy. Because it should only cost you $100-$200 to get what you're looking for.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Audiophile electronic components do they exist
Yes.

if I pay more will my ( same value) capacitor sound different to a bog standard unit ?
Sighted yes, blind no, unless you were blissfully unaware of parameters beyond "capacitance", like equivalent series resistance (ESR) already mentioned. Unlike audiophile imagination, capacitors are quite measurable. Make sure one knows what's being compared.

I could add do capacitors 'burn in'?
A lot less than perceptual adaptation.

cheers,

AJ

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audiophile components are not always the best choice when it comes to preferences. Note that a relatively inexpensive component can sometimes be the best component, see the article below. I remember reading this when I was residing in the UK (England) and received this fine magazine at the time.

I also enjoyed several audio magazines, which often had full length sample cds attached when you purchased at the news agents.

http://www.keith-snook.info/wireless-world-magazine/Wireless-World-1992/Proof for the golden ears hypothesis.pdf?.pdf

TBone

Major Contributor
I also enjoyed several audio magazines, which often had full length sample cds attached when you purchased at the news agents.

That's one reason I searched and enjoyed certain British mags, they often came w/CDs. I have a bunch of 'em hanging around somewhere, should find 'em and revisit ...

tomelex

Forum Donor
That's one reason I searched and enjoyed certain British mags, they often came w/CDs. I have a bunch of 'em hanging around somewhere, should find 'em and revisit ...

I still have a few, they actually were very well recorded, lots of dynamic range!

TBone

Major Contributor
were they not mostly other bands doing covers, or alternate bands/music, kinda remember different musical themes/recordings with many issues ...

tomelex

Forum Donor
two of the discs are by an outfit that called itself GOLD but the writing was in red, and the tracks were courtesy of castle communications, stuff like lovin spoonful, foundations, status quo, etc. Another one say REPLAY and is in red, tracks courtesy of sequel records with stuff like The night has a thousand eyes, this masquerade, get off of my cloud etc by original artists, and the other one that I have at hand is called SOUL CD with a lot of folks I never heard of, and I also have a few others somewhere. Most of these were collections, such as the SOUL one, it is vol 2.

Looking closely, GOLD and REPLAY were actual audio magazines and SOUL was Soul Compact Dish Magazine.

SSS

Mundorf cap with leakage current in New Audio Frontiers Stradivari phono preamp with vacuum tubes. In one channel there was a kind of a rumbling background noise, not very loud but there. What I did not think of was that a Mundorf very expensive cap (~ 45 EURO retail) would be defective and I looked for other problem areas. Last not least the coupling cap from triode plate to the RIAA network was the cause. Leakage current measured with 400 V DC and 10 MOhm voltmeter connected in a row. Mundorf cap was MCap SUPREME EVO Silver Gold 0.15 µF 1000 VDC.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The subject has been beat to death, and the subjectivists still bring no facts to the table. In any event I won't use any part that doesn't have a sensible, complete datasheet.

egellings

Major Contributor
Take 2 identical mid-range drivers.
Hook each ONE up with identical properly-sized capacitor to created a first order High Pass filter.
Some may say where is the resistor, but there is no need for attenuation between different efficiency drivers as you would find in a multi-driver setup. You are trying for identical drivers not needing attenuation.
Now compare music & tones with instant switching between the two drivers to confirm identical sound [best done blind].
Once you have identical driver sound, you can start switching capacitors.
Try what I call a CODE capacitor [minimally acceptable standard] in one driver & Mundorf Silver-Oil in another [best done blind].
Try other capacitors.
Have fun, and bring your friends to do the blind switching.

I have hours & hours of blind testing.

iridium
It would be good to measure both test caps and select a pair that are close in capacitance (C) value. C-value differences could affect the results, possibly leading to mistaken conclusions about the sound of the capacitors.

Top Bottom