• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Audiophile" descriptors, buzzwords and their place in the review world.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.... aaaaaannnndddddd.... Part 3.

@7:45

I separate Directivity and Dispersion.

Dispersion: How wide the off-axis is.

Directivity: How the off-axis is in relation to the direct sound; the EQ-ability, what the Directivity Index of the Spins show us.

So, the Klipsch RP600M is a narrow dispersion speaker, and even though the frequency response is poor, it has good directivity:
index.php

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Dispersion: How wide the off-axis is.

I refer to dispersion as radiation. Mostly. Sometimes I interchange them. Again, just another point toward the video; how we mix and match subjective terms even with objective things.

Notice I also made a point to talk about directivity meaning the handoff of one driver to another in a speaker.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I refer to dispersion as radiation. Mostly. Sometimes I interchange them. Again, just another point toward the video; how we mix and match subjective terms even with objective things.

Notice I also made a point to talk about directivity meaning the handoff of one driver to another in a speaker.
As long as we can agree the soundstage isn't chocolatey :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Part two is up if you need 15 minutes to kill today.

A slight tangent but the "heard it from the kitchen" (or from another room), reminds me of some blind testing I did, which I've mentioned before, between some CDPs and a DAC. I found the signatures so distinct that I was also able to identify with essentially 100 percent accuracy which was playing, from another room! (Which, to me, actually makes some sense. If they were changing the sound as audibly as it seemed in the room, the sound should change if you are outside the room too, to a degree).

My wife didn't take part in the test, though. :)

Top Bottom