• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile Car:Audio Cost Ratio

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't consider myself a real audiophile, but while assessing the value of my current ride for a possible trade-in / upgrade, I realized that my audio system is in the 50-70% range of the current (depreciated) value of my car.

Which then made me realize that true baller audiophiles must have systems that are many multiples of the values of their cars.

What's the proper valuation range of auto vs audio for a true audiophile?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I knew someone who went to trade in their old junker ride at a car lot once. They offered him $1100. He said he would be keeping the stereo in the car. The price offered dropped to $100.

Just an anecdotal point of reference. :rolleyes:

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I knew someone who went to trade in their old junker ride at a car lot once. They offered him $1100. He said he would be keeping the stereo in the car. The price offered dropped to $100.

Just an anecdotal point of reference. :rolleyes:

Wow, what year was that?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I have never owned a car worth as much as my stereo.
But then, despite working in motor racing for 35 years, to me a road car is just a depreciating skivvy and if I find one I like I keep it a long time. Currently we have 4 cars here, one is off the road but I bought it new in 1991, another summer only convertible I bought new in 1997 and 2 runabouts from 2005 and 2012.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I don't think I have never owned a car worth as much as my stereo.
But then, despite working in motor racing for 35 years, to me a road car is just a depreciating skivvy and if I find one I like I keep it a long time. Currently we have 4 cars here, one is off the road but I bought it new in 1991, another summer only convertible I bought new in 1997 and 2 runabouts from 2005 and 2012.
Me too, Iv had my car for ten years with no plans to change.. only change the work van if it breaks beyond sensible repair..

My speakers cost about the same as my car too .., mad world lol

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Personally I don’t see what one has to do with the other. I put in the system I want, period. I’m driving nicer used cars than I used to, but when I had a 1985 Olds Ninety-Eight that I paid only $800 for, the gear I was accumulating for it was certainly worth more than the car.

Funny thing, no one asks such questions regarding their residence! If I had to move to some little apartment somewhere, my entire system would go with me!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny thing, no one asks such questions regarding their residence! If I had to move to some little apartment somewhere, my entire system would go with me!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I suppose it is just an indication of an individuals life preferences. A fancy car is much more of a status symbol than a stereo nobody sees and 99.9% of the population know nothing about.

If I had to move to a small appointment my speakers probably wouldn't fit and out of respect for neighbours I would be confined to headphones :(

Top Bottom