• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Audiophile) americana and country music? Who likes it? Recommendations?

Urkelator

Hello everyone,
when you're new to a community, it's always a step to contribute (at least for me) - so that's how I try to do it:
After I didn't find anything to the topic using the search function (someone might teach me better), I now open this thread and officially have to admit:

Yes, I listen to country and americana music
(sometimes a lot :facepalm:)

But: If you live in Germany, this is not necessarily the kind of music that you could discuss with a lot of people. Especially not, if you also value audiophile recordings. So I'll try it here and hope that maybe someone can be found who knows his way around, or thinks similarly.

Maybe l'll start with my actual top fives. These are records that i recently listend to:

- Robert Earl Keen : Gravitational Forces (2001; I often use the title track to test speakers and gear)

- The Damn Quails: Down the hedge (2011; for me, most songs offer a beautiful soundstage)

- David Allan Coe: Once upon a rhyme (1974?/ please don't judge me)

- Paul Cauthen: My Gospel (2016; dynamic, classic country influences and voice)

- Kris Kristofferson: The silvertongued devil and i (1971, just love it)

Maybe you have any recommendations you want to give?
Just write something and don't leave me alone XD

Greetings
Urkelator

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Maybe not exactly country but:
Amber Rubarth albums - particularly Chesky recordings

More 'bluegrass':maybe - the group Underhill Rose. Female vocals.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Emmy Lou - audiophile release or not
Heh, I listened to Red Dirt Girl a couple of evenings ago. It is a terrible sounding recording (and, it seems, deliberately so), but it is also a magnificent, albeit devestatingly bleak, album.

All y'all who like "Americana" and good sound should -- IMO -- spend some quality time listening to the Wailin Jennys. Start with Live From Maunch Chunk Theater or Forty Days.

Try I'm With Her, too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
when you're new to a community, it's always a step to contribute (at least for me) - so that's how I try to do it:
After I didn't find anything to the topic using the search function (someone might teach me better), I now open this thread and officially have to admit:

Yes, I listen to country and americana music
(sometimes a lot :facepalm:)

But: If you live in Germany, this is not necessarily the kind of music that you could discuss with a lot of people. Especially not, if you also value audiophile recordings. So I'll try it here and hope that maybe someone can be found who knows his way around, or thinks similarly.

Maybe l'll start with my actual top fives. These are records that i recently listend to:

- Robert Earl Keen : Gravitational Forces (2001; I often use the title track to test speakers and gear)

- The Damn Quails: Down the hedge (2011; for me, most songs offer a beautiful soundstage)

- David Allan Coe: Once upon a rhyme (1974?/ please don't judge me)

- Paul Cauthen: My Gospel (2016; dynamic, classic country influences and voice)

- Kris Kristofferson: The silvertongued devil and i (1971, just love it)

Maybe you have any recommendations you want to give?
Just write something and don't leave me alone XD

Greetings
Urkelator

I have enough trouble with music genres without having to sub-divide into audiophile and non audiophile variants.

But the Cowboy Junkies- The Trinity Revisited is pretty special on all counts.

vert

Forum Donor
Great thread idea. I suffer from the same attraction. Lucinda's Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is an album I've loved for years. Lately I've been intrigued by Willy Nelson and Josh Turner, both superstars in their own right. In bluegrass there's some highly talented new blood, people like Chris Eldridge, Molly Tuttle and Carl Miner are more than worth a listen. I was reading something today about Tony Rice, with people comparing his inventiveness to Django's... Americana is a deep field to be sure.

Heatsink

Gram Parsons
Jerry Jeff Walker
Lyle Lovett
Uncle Tupelo
Son Volt
Wilco (older stuff more country/Americana than newer)
Billy Strings (jam-oriented bluegrass)
Todd Snider
Donna the Buffalo
Kasey Chambers (Aussie “Americana”)
Patty Griffin
Jimmy Dale Gilmore
Guy Clark
Townes Van Zandt

The Band should be at the top of anyone’s list.
6BD72CAB-26F6-4AE6-833D-14C6B97852E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom