• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Audiophile) americana and country music? Who likes it? Recommendations?

Moonhead

Jason Isbell and Gillian Welch is Maybe the best newer artist to me, but I like alternative country
like The Sadies, Meat Puppets and classics like Johnny Cash and Townes Van Zandt.

Last edited:

dpturner

Forum Donor
my first post. golly. i have been a Dave Alvin fan for years. Early punkish-stuff with the Blasters, with his brother Phil Alvin, and the LA punk band X. but like a lot of LA punks, moved into "roots rock". he definitely has his finger on the pulse of california. his album "King of California" is not only an awesome album, musically, but is also very well produced. really opened my ears to this style of music as a measure of audio quality. i now use this cd as a go-to test, and also just listen to it because it's beautiful and heart-felt. on the other hand, i can't stand the avett brothers...

Last edited:

boswell

"This One's for Him" a 2 cd live set of 20 plus country artists each playing a song written by Guy Clarke (RIP). Great musicianship and great recording. Guy Clarke will be recognised as one of the great song writers (IMO).

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just spotted this thread!

I love music, and some of the music that I love is country music, and some of that country music is beautifully recorded. :)

Randy Travis—tragic figure but what a voice, what an incredible singer—usually impeccably recorded. Here’s an upbeat song from his better days, out of concern and respect for his difficulties. With a pointedly country perspective. ;)

What the heck, another, working out the pipes a little more. . .

Last edited:

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Emmy Lou - audiophile release or not

The mid-to-late 70s stuff is to die for, IMHO. . . :) Love love love this song, and especially this recording of this song.

Last edited:

Pegwill

Hi

Give this a try, four of the greatest names in country music. It used to be available on YouTube as one concert now it seems to be broken down into 34 different clips - probably due to copyright. It’s by the Highwaymen - I pariticlarly like the track ‘The Highwayman’ very cleverly written and great backing, put together by Glen Campbell. Anyway here’s the link enjoy

Regards

William

teched58

Hello everyone,
when you're new to a community, it's always a step to contribute (at least for me) - so that's how I try to do it:
After I didn't find anything to the topic using the search function (someone might teach me better), I now open this thread and officially have to admit:

Yes, I listen to country and americana music

Maybe you have any recommendations you want to give?

Greetings
Urkelator

So, I'm confused about this and maybe the OP can help. Richard Thompson is a Brit, but over there (i.e., in England) they consider his music to be Americana. Indeed, quoting from this link from 2016, "The Americana Music Association UK has chosen celebrated singer-songwriter and guitarist Richard Thompson to receive its highest honour, the UK Americana Lifetime Achievement Award, in recognition of his contribution to the Americana genre over the span of his career and life in music."

So, Thompson is at the very least a British Americana artist. Do you folks who listen to this stuff consider him to be "real" Americana?

BTW, Americana seems to be a natural progression for RT. Fairport Convention took "British-cana" -- traditional British folk tunes -- and electrified/modernized them (as did Pentangle and a whole movement of similarly inclined bands in late '60s. Fairport was far and away the best of them all).

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
So, I'm confused about this and maybe the OP can help. Richard Thompson is a Brit, but over there (i.e., in England) they consider his music to be Americana. Indeed, quoting from this link from 2016, "The Americana Music Association UK has chosen celebrated singer-songwriter and guitarist Richard Thompson to receive its highest honour, the UK Americana Lifetime Achievement Award, in recognition of his contribution to the Americana genre over the span of his career and life in music."

So, Thompson is at the very least a British Americana artist. Do you folks who listen to this stuff consider him to be "real" Americana?

BTW, Americana seems to be a natural progression for RT. Fairport Convention took "British-cana" -- traditional British folk tunes -- and electrified/modernized them (as did Pentangle and a whole movement of similarly inclined bands in late '60s. Fairport was far and away the best of them all).

Just about all pop song music in the world owes a great deal from the miraculous and bizarre musical primordial ooze in the Americas from the late 1800s to early 1900s, IMHO. From ragtime to jazz to country to Broadway show-tunes to rock to bluegrass to R&B, you may be really surprised, I think, of the extent to which they come from a lot of the same elements during a crazytown musical period in the U.S. Don’t see any reason the rest of the world can’t have their hand at any of it.

If you wonder to what extent this music is, more or less, indigenous, to the extent you can say that about anything about U.S. culture, it’s approximately to folks from the U.S. rural Midwest and South.

Although all varieties of pop music have worked their way into those areas over the decades and generations of youths in small towns have been moving away from country for generations. So you kind of get this roots rock stuff and Rhodes scholar Kris Kristofferson and Jersey boy Bruce Springsteen trying their hand at it, and there’s back and forth influence over time.

The people who grew up with it and lived the culture and the music, you can generally tell when you talk to them (my family is from the Midwest).

Reminds me of when I left a pub in London once and someone yelled to me, “Y’all come back now, ya hear?” ;)

IMHO. :)

Last edited:
OP
U

Urkelator

I only own the album "rumor and sigh" and see him more as a UK based singer / songwriter. But when it comes to Americana as a genre, for me it's clearly about the images i get with the music. But that is just my opinion.

mkt

Crooked Still — Little Sadie

Top Bottom