• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolense (XO?) in Roon for 3.2 system

syzygetic

I’m trying to figure out how best to do audiolense DSP for my main system.

The chain:
RoonBridge(coax)>

MeridianProcessor(RJ45)>LeftMain,CenterMain,RightMain(trifield)
MeridianProcessor(RCA)>LeftSubwoofer,RightSubwoofer

Presently, the Meridian Processor handles crossover between subs and mains (80Hz), and processes the stereo signal into Ambisonic Trifield. I only ever listen to stereo sources.

I want to try Audiolense (I use REW now), and use Roon DSP to host the filter. What would be best practice to implement this?

In particular, how should I handle crossover to the subs? Leave it on the Meridian Processor and pretend this is 2.0 in Audiolense?

Do I need Audiolense XO, or just the standard?

Does the trifield come into play here, or should I ignore it and pretend the system is stereo, letting the Meridian Processor deal with the center signal calculation?

Anyway, I figure someone here has messed with Audiolense enough to know what works in this scenario.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am trying to get my head around your Meridian processor and Roon bridge, I use Jriver into a Triamped system with Audiolense XO.

On paper Digital crossovers with software DSP are the most advanced way to set up speakers, but how it compares to your current Meridian processing and crossover depends how many taps the Meridian DSP has and what kind of implementation the crossover is based on that's if it does have a DSP(presuming it does) or uses an active circuit for crossover or software DSP through hardware.

A digital crossover(Audiolense) between subs and mains isn't such a big deal in my opinion, they excel for speaker crossovers, not that there might not be some improvement with the amount of taps you get from a software DSP such as Audiolense but it just might not be worth all the effort if its just for the sub main crossover point.

If you decide to go with Audiolense XO through Roon, I do not know how you can upmix or use the Meridian processing Ambisonic Trifield, that is something you might have to look into. Upmixing is a bit of a problem when it comes to Biamp and Triamp set ups with Audiolense XO or any type of Triamp set up with a digital to digital converters or mutlichannel DAC's, and it could be a downgrade from what Meridian offers in its surround alorithms.

I am hazarding a guess that it is best to leave Meridian to work the center channel with its processing formula and how that can be implemented through Roon or a possible Audiolense XO setup that is if it can is something someone else has to chime in with.

In conclusion and with the limited understanding of your set up, Audiolense is very advanced but for a full crossover system. Your best bet would be to use what you have and just time align and flatten frequency curve and make a few convolutions to listen to through Roon with the standard Audiolense or Audiolense surround. If I have understood wrong and your Meridian is just a link without DSP or upmixing(but i guess ambiosonoic trifield is upmixing) then you could use XO for a full multichannel set up L/C/R and dual subs but you will need a DAC and amp for each respective frequency range, basically a channel for each speaker channel and a digital to digital converter such as the UDIO-8 or alternatively something like the Okto multichannel DAC which will feed into its respective amps into tweeter and woofer.

This would get you thinking and is a start, perhaps if you give more info regarding your system and what it does I could guide you better. If you decide with Audiolense XO, feel free to shoot more questions.

OP
syzygetic

syzygetic

I am trying to get my head around your Meridian processor and Roon bridge, I use Jriver into a Triamped system with Audiolense XO.

On paper Digital crossovers with software DSP are the most advanced way to set up speakers, but how it compares to your current Meridian processing and crossover depends how many taps the Meridian DSP has and what kind of implementation the crossover is based on that's if it does have a DSP(presuming it does) or uses an active circuit for crossover or software DSP through hardware.

A digital crossover(Audiolense) between subs and mains isn't such a big deal in my opinion, they excel for speaker crossovers, not that there might not be some improvement with the amount of taps you get from a software DSP such as Audiolense but it just might not be worth all the effort if its just for the sub main crossover point.

If you decide to go with Audiolense XO through Roon, I do not know how you can upmix or use the Meridian processing Ambisonic Trifield, that is something you might have to look into. Upmixing is a bit of a problem when it comes to Biamp and Triamp set ups with Audiolense XO or any type of Triamp set up with a digital to digital converters or mutlichannel DAC's, and it could be a downgrade from what Meridian offers in its surround alorithms.

I am hazarding a guess that it is best to leave Meridian to work the center channel with its processing formula and how that can be implemented through Roon or a possible Audiolense XO setup that is if it can is something someone else has to chime in with.

In conclusion and with the limited understanding of your set up, Audiolense is very advanced but for a full crossover system. Your best bet would be to use what you have and just time align and flatten frequency curve and make a few convolutions to listen to through Roon with the standard Audiolense or Audiolense surround. If I have understood wrong and your Meridian is just a link without DSP or upmixing(but i guess ambiosonoic trifield is upmixing) then you could use XO for a full multichannel set up L/C/R and dual subs but you will need a DAC and amp for each respective frequency range, basically a channel for each speaker channel and a digital to digital converter such as the UDIO-8 or alternatively something like the Okto multichannel DAC which will feed into its respective amps into tweeter and woofer.

This would get you thinking and is a start, perhaps if you give more info regarding your system and what it does I could guide you better. If you decide with Audiolense XO, feel free to shoot more questions.
This is helpful, thanks! I'll try the standard Audiolense and see where that gets me, then upgrade to XO if for some reason I find I'm missing something.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Check these out if you haven't already. Mitch is not just the inhouse expert he has significantly contributed to the DSP world and I am presuming you know about his services and his convolver on offer. I would recommend you check out all his replies on any forum as they are all very educational.

Top Bottom