• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab launches flagship 9000 series Integrated Amplifier and CD Transport

SiR

Wish Amir reviews this and hope to be good

Believe it could succeed in, like the 6000 series

JeyElDee

Last week I ordered one black Audiolab 9000A and yesterday it arrived. Not a big amp but good greef it is heavy.

I don’t have the means of doing any objective measurements, so you will have to do with my extremely subjective ears.

I have been using a lot of stuff that has been reviewed on ASR, so I can definitely do some comparisons. This might be more useful than just describing my subjective feelings of the sound of this amp.

I normally use a pair of JBL 4412 monitors with a McIntosh MA5300 amp for more critical listening. But for occasional stuff, background music, YouTube etc… I have been using a Boxem Audio Arthur 4215/E2 and Loxjie D40 as preamp and a pair of large JBL Ti10K speakers.

It is this last combination that will serve as my reference. For now.

First thing I did was just using the Audiolab as integrated, with USB from my computer. Because I thought there was something missing, after 20 mins I swapped to using the Loxjie D40 as preamp, connected to the Audiolab Power amp input.

This leaves out the Dac and preamp section of the Audiolab, giving me a better way of hearing any differences in sound over the Purifi from Boxem.

So here comes my extremely subjective idea… First impression was less detail but way more relaxed music. That lack of detail was very temporary as volume was really low. Lower than I am used to play. So slightly up with the volume and there was plenty of musicality. Fun. Great bass. Yes, this amp (at least the power amp) does make me think of a completely transparent amp, somehow as effortless as a McIntosh can play. I have no idea how linear this thing is but with the JBL Ti10k speakers it is like … big fun. Room-filling fun.

I used many different amps with these JBL’s. Not one McIntosh non direct-coupled amp could drive them nicely. The Musical Fidelity M6PRX does the job but there was never fun. The McGowen Stellar 300 was just bright craziness and not musical at all and the best of all was the Boxem Audio that did the job very well with pronounced dynamics and detailed bass. But this Audiolab !? This is just the most musical amp I have heard on these JBL’s. Still very detailed sound but more like just … music. The amp becomes invisible.

These are the first impressions after only a few hours of listening. I will have to come back later on it when I have played around with the amp as integrated. I think the power amp section will be extremely good, but at this time I have my doubts on the DAC and preamp section.

More – and some pics – later. I would love to see an objective test of this amp. But based on the price, even when you use only the power amp section (yes, the VU meter also works in pre-power mode) it looks like a bargain for so much musicality. TBC

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They left the slot-load mechanism behind which seems like a good thing.

JeyElDee

Part 2... After a few days of listening, we defenately need some objective measurements. Because I noticed this amp is such fun. I can't stop listening to music.
I can't really say much more : it is fun while delivering enough detail without any listening fatigue. Forget my idea about the built-in dac not being perfect, it does the job very well. For about 2000 Euro, you get a nice amp that does the job very well. Can't say anything more than my subjective " I love it ".
Audiolabinset.JPG

So please if anybody ... some measurements ? ;-)

ea666

After a year with my Cyrus CDXt Signature (rrp £1895) I was never 100% satisfied with it. It’s a real shame as my first step towards high end hifi was a Cyrus pre/power combo with some floor standing mission speakers. To this date this was my industry standard of a high end sound. Anyways the flagship Cyrus CD transport, well wasn’t anything like my fond memories of Cyrus.

Over Christmas I was casually reading through various hi-fi forums and came across a post showcasing Audiolab’s 9000 series. I was instantly attracted to the slim clean profile and the large display towards the side. I arranged a home demo through Richersound Leeds and we’ll I am now the owner of the 9000cdt.

The best way I can explain my listening experience, is my system now feels alive. In comparison the Cyrus was like a turntable playing a 45 rpm record at 33rpm…. Everything is there just lacked that excitement. When listening to known music, I can hear the separation of the musical instruments and the vocals which are better defined

I’m on the fence now about getting the matching 9000a amp or wait for the pre/power due to be released!

Last edited:

Humble-Bee

9000A works correctly only in Pre Power mode, in integral mode when it is turned on, there is an obvious problem with the signal phase. In Integral mode the sound is very strange, Pre Power is completely fine. I just received it and managed to check it only on headphones, perhaps in headphones and immediately heard this feature 9000

I hope it will work well with Amphion Two 15

Miniyouuuu

9000A works correctly only in Pre Power mode, in integral mode when it is turned on, there is an obvious problem with the signal phase. In Integral mode the sound is very strange, Pre Power is completely fine. I just received it and managed to check it only on headphones, perhaps in headphones and immediately heard this feature 9000

I hope it will work well with Amphion Two 15
What preamp should you recommend for the 9000A?

Top Bottom