• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab 6000CDT experience

Ale Dors

Would a Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) help here?

Let's say I think I can hear a difference between
  • CD transport > coax > DAC
  • FLAC rip > USB > DAC
If the both run into the same speakers using the same cables you should be seeing the same result when you record it right?
Maybe something like a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6?

Ale Dors

Would a Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) help here?

Let's say I think I can hear a difference between
  • CD transport > coax > DAC
  • FLAC rip > USB > DAC
If the both run into the same speakers using the same cables you should be seeing the same result when you record it right?
Maybe something like a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6?

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A perfectly functioning reclocking circuit in the dac, has the only clock that counts if using a reclocking protocol and receiving a signal within the specs of the protocol. Agreed.

Great if you have modern async dac.

And for everyone still rocking 90's and early 00's tech then the best possible input signal really matters. Like using the buffered coax output of the 6000 transport into a tda1541 diy dac.

Seems like people forget what the shorthand we use actually means. Only the dac clock counts doesn't actually mean that at all. It's shorthand for a much narrower use case.

A 37-year-old 16-bit DAC chip? And DIY no less.

Hell, just buy an old Philips CD player, also 37-years-old. It will sound exactly the same, except maybe for the DIY part.

Tarkus1984

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 6000CDT transport and while I love everything about it, I've been experiencing a strange issue that through a lot of testing I have narrowed down to the cd transport. I hope any other fellow owners of the 6000CDT and chime in in case you have experienced the same, or even better, help me do some quick testing to see if I may have received a faulty unit.

Essentially, music playback from the 6000CDT through coaxial output is interrupted for a brief moment when an electric discharge occurs. This can happen if I touch any of the components in my audio system rack while charged with static or even if I listen through headphones as it seems static travels through the cable into the system. This interruption of playback does not happen if I use the optical output, only through coaxial.

Just for additional context, this is all I have tried so far and everything points at the 6000CDT:
  • Tried two different coaxial cables (blue jeans and amazon basics). Issue persists when using the CDT with either cable
  • Tried an alternative cd player outputting signal through coax into the DAC. Issue does not happen with the alternative cd player
  • Tried two different DACs. Issue appears with both as long as I’m using the CDT through coaxial. Issue does not appear with either DAC if I use the alternative cd player or optical output
  • Tried two different sets of headphones. One with a plastic body (sennheiser hd600) and the other with metal frame (hifiman sundara). Music gets interrupted when using CDT through coax. Issue does not present itself when using alternative cd player or optical ouput.
  • Used multiple electrical outlets around the house, both grounded and ungrounded and 3 different power conditioner/power strips and multiple coax cable/DAC/cd player. Music only gets interrupted while using the 6000CDT through coax regardless of configuration of the aforementioned elements.
I will be addressing the issue of static buildup with a humidifier; however I would like to know if this issue could be the result of a faulty unit given all testing points at the CDT. If indeed I could have received a defective unit, I’m still within the return window with the distributor.

Thanks for your time everyone!

jsrtheta

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 6000CDT transport and while I love everything about it, I've been experiencing a strange issue that through a lot of testing I have narrowed down to the cd transport. I hope any other fellow owners of the 6000CDT and chime in in case you have experienced the same, or even better, help me do some quick testing to see if I may have received a faulty unit.

Essentially, music playback from the 6000CDT through coaxial output is interrupted for a brief moment when an electric discharge occurs. This can happen if I touch any of the components in my audio system rack while charged with static or even if I listen through headphones as it seems static travels through the cable into the system. This interruption of playback does not happen if I use the optical output, only through coaxial.

Just for additional context, this is all I have tried so far and everything points at the 6000CDT:
  • Tried two different coaxial cables (blue jeans and amazon basics). Issue persists when using the CDT with either cable
  • Tried an alternative cd player outputting signal through coax into the DAC. Issue does not happen with the alternative cd player
  • Tried two different DACs. Issue appears with both as long as I’m using the CDT through coaxial. Issue does not appear with either DAC if I use the alternative cd player or optical output
  • Tried two different sets of headphones. One with a plastic body (sennheiser hd600) and the other with metal frame (hifiman sundara). Music gets interrupted when using CDT through coax. Issue does not present itself when using alternative cd player or optical ouput.
  • Used multiple electrical outlets around the house, both grounded and ungrounded and 3 different power conditioner/power strips and multiple coax cable/DAC/cd player. Music only gets interrupted while using the 6000CDT through coax regardless of configuration of the aforementioned elements.
I will be addressing the issue of static buildup with a humidifier; however I would like to know if this issue could be the result of a faulty unit given all testing points at the CDT. If indeed I could have received a defective unit, I’m still within the return window with the distributor.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than I am (meaning, just about everyone else here) will chime in. But I will offer my thoughts in the meantime.

It seems you have done the right thing and isolated the cause of the problem, the transport. Good work. It sounds to inexpert me like a ground problem, even if intermittent. But I obviously could be wrong.

Still, since it only happens with the transport, the ball should be in Audiolab's court. They built it, it ain't working right, they should fix it, if it's still under warranty. If not, take it to a pro who can diagnose and mend the fault.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

If you haven't done this test: connect the transport with both coax and optical cable and then listen to both: is playback still interrupt on coax only?

Tarkus1984

If you haven't done this test: connect the transport with both coax and optical cable and then listen to both: is playback still interrupt on coax only?
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I tested this over the weekend and the interruption only happens when the coax is active. At this point I think I will return my unit and get another one and see if it does the same.

Tarkus1984

Still, since it only happens with the transport, the ball should be in Audiolab's court. They built it, it ain't working right, they should fix it, if it's still under warranty. If not, take it to a pro who can diagnose and mend the fault.
I absolutely agree. I contacted audiolab through their website, explained the situation and I was asked to contact the distributor I bought this from so they can help with the issue. They said distributors have the knowledge and experience to help out. Weird reply but oh well

jsrtheta

I absolutely agree. I contacted audiolab through their website, explained the situation and I was asked to contact the distributor I bought this from so they can help with the issue. They said distributors have the knowledge and experience to help out. Weird reply but oh well
Yeah, if it's still under warranty, get them to fix it or replace it.

Yuhasz01

I own this transport and have not experienced your problem. I just tried both outputs for some listening and no problems . I normally use the optical cable output into my RME DAC.

Get a replacement or fix from distributor.

Tarkus1984

I own this transport and have not experienced your problem. I just tried both outputs for some listening and no problems . I normally use the optical cable output into my RME DAC.

Get a replacement or fix from distributor.
Thanks for taking the time! I will definitely get a replacement. God bless Amazon's return policy.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Check if the audiolab is class2 insulated, if it is grounding the chassis should cure it.

only.shallow

Just a warning to those interested in purchasing the Audiolab 6000CDT... I bought a new one in 2021 and it scratched most of the CDs I played. I didn't realize this was a common problem with the 6000 until I read more reviews/forums online after I noticed the scratching. Thankfully I was able to return it for a full refund but it scratched up some rather expensive CDs/SACDs. :(

The actual build and aesthetic of the 6000CDT is solid and looks great on a rack but that's all worhtless if it's ruining your media. I should have known better to trust a slot loading player. Never again!

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a warning to those interested in purchasing the Audiolab 6000CDT... I bought a new one in 2021 and it scratched most of the CDs I played. I didn't realize this was a common problem with the 6000 until I read more reviews/forums online after I noticed the scratching. Thankfully I was able to return it for a full refund but it scratched up some rather expensive CDs/SACDs. :(

The actual build and aesthic of the 6000CDT is solid and looks great on a rack but that's all worhtless if it's ruining your media. I should have known better to trust a slot loading player. Never again!
I read that not long after I got mine but I've had no problem with mine. I tested with a brand new CD it came out the same as it went in as far as I could tell. I tried it a few times. CDs I have played many times through it still play fine.

I do have some criticisms though:

I don't like the slot loading it's awkward in use. Not that keen on how it looks either, it's not offensive but it's not 'proper' either and the display seems like it was left over from the 1990s.

Sadly it seems it is impossible to buy a decent-looking current model CD transport with drawer-loading or slot loading without going pro and getting a recording facility I don't need.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly it seems it is impossible to buy a decent-looking current model CD transport with drawer-loading or slot loading without going pro and getting a recording facility I don't need.

Or, simply buy a dedicated CD player with digital out. That's how I've been using my Cambridge Audio Azur for over a decade.

JaccoW

There are a number of other models from Audiolab now.

There's the €1200 Audiolab 9000CDT.
9000-03-221117_Rev4_1280x628.gif

Then there's the €650 Audiolab 7000CDT, which is essentially the 6000CDT with a tray and a colour screen.
6000CDT-2.jpg

7000CDT-s1.png

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the steers but I'm aware of all of those and I'm not keen.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

There's nothing new that looks like it I can find. I might end up taking a chance and buying one off ebay or something. Trouble is people ask too much for something that might die in a few weeks or months.

Top Bottom