• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab 6000A - PEQ options -miniDSP?

OP
S

Smithg97

As far as Dirac goes, still unable to get it to work for me
Any luck now?

I have a question for you on the flex, I've ordered the unbalanced version now but do you know if i can run 2 presets for the subs from the flex? Thinking like this;

Preset 1: wiim (Toslink)>flex>subs (flex rca output 1&2) 6000A (flex rca output 3&4)

Preset 2: Denon avr>flex (subs only without lfe outputs from avr to flex rca input)>subs (flex rca output 1&2)

If so, would the flex just automatically route bass to the subs and adjust crossovers/EQ based on whichever input is active at the time? This would then allow me to remove the cheap RCA switch from my chain and let the flex act as the switch

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any luck now?

I have a question for you on the flex, I've ordered the unbalanced version now but do you know if i can run 2 presets for the subs from the flex? Thinking like this;

Preset 1: wiim (Toslink)>flex>subs (flex rca output 1&2) 6000A (flex rca output 3&4)

Preset 2: Denon avr>flex (subs only without lfe outputs from avr to flex rca input)>subs (flex rca output 1&2)

If so, would the flex just automatically route bass to the subs and adjust crossovers/EQ based on whichever input is active at the time? This would then allow me to remove the cheap RCA switch from my chain and let the flex act as the switch
Not quite. You can't assign a particular input to a preset, so you would still need to choose either analogue in or toslink, then choose the preset. Luckily your harmony can change the input and preset for you if you program 2 different activities for each scenario

OP
S

Smithg97

Not quite. You can't assign a particular input to a preset, so you would still need to choose either analogue in or toslink, then choose the preset. Luckily your harmony can change the input and preset for you if you program 2 different activities for each scenario
Thanks!

The flex arrives on Monday so looking forward to testing it out! I have been wondering though, if i connect my WiiM mini via optical to the flex then flex to audiolab 6000a via rca to one of the audiolab aux inputs is it possible that the audiolab is going to perform ADC > DAC > ADC or will it keep the signal as analogue? I need to keep the AVR plugged into the power in of the audiolab to continue using HT bypass and starting to worry that the audiolab aux inputs only work in integrated mode and will convert the signal

If this is the case, are there any purifi 2 channel power amps with multiple rca inputs and remote control capabilities?

I've tried googling answers to both of the above but seems to be a bit of a confusing rabbit hole

Joffy1780

Thanks!

The flex arrives on Monday so looking forward to testing it out! I have been wondering though, if i connect my WiiM mini via optical to the flex then flex to audiolab 6000a via rca to one of the audiolab aux inputs is it possible that the audiolab is going to perform ADC > DAC > ADC or will it keep the signal as analogue? I need to keep the AVR plugged into the power in of the audiolab to continue using HT bypass and starting to worry that the audiolab aux inputs only work in integrated mode and will convert the signal

If this is the case, are there any purifi 2 channel power amps with multiple rca inputs and remote control capabilities?

I've tried googling answers to both of the above but seems to be a bit of a confusing rabbit hole
The 6000a wouldn't digitise the signal in that scenario, only when using it's digital inputs.
As far as purifi power amps with remote control capabilities, or multiple remotely switchable inputs, I don't know of any. I know NAD use Purifi or Hypex modules in some of their integrated and power amps, but you pay a hefty premium for the brand. My power amp only has XLR inputs, so I use an XLR switch (not remote operated). I don't think there are many multiple input power amps at all really. Audiophonics sell mono block amps with both XLR and RCA inputs, with a physical switch to choose between the two.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ifier-class-d-ncore-1x500w-4-ohm-p-14319.html
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-d-amplifier-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html
I think to have the ability to switch remotely you would need to use an integrated with HT bypass. As I say the branded integrated amps with Purifi/hypex modules are overpriced IMHO.

Joffy1780

I would highly recommend Audiophonics if you are based in the UK/Europe. If you are based elsewhere there are lots of options also.

OP
S

Smithg97

I would highly recommend Audiophonics if you are based in the UK/Europe. If you are based elsewhere there are lots of options also.
Would this be overkill;

I could then just run front pre-outs of the avr & the rca outputs of the flex to the inputs of an rca switch (probably upgrade my cheap amazon one to the schitt sys if i can source one or try a remote controlled one) then run the rca switch output to the power amp rca input and keep the power amp volume fixed and control volume using the flex when listening to music or the Denon for movies/TV

Joffy1780

Would this be overkill;

I could then just run front pre-outs of the avr & the rca outputs of the flex to the inputs of an rca switch (probably upgrade my cheap amazon one to the schitt sys if i can source one or try a remote controlled one) then run the rca switch output to the power amp rca input and keep the power amp volume fixed and control volume using the flex when listening to music or the Denon for movies/TV
I have the 3 channel version of that amp! I don't think it's overkill, I hummed and harred over which hypex/purifi amp to go with, but thought this will not need to be upgraded if I upgrade my speakers in the future and I would always have wondered why I didn't go for the purifi. Unbelievable amp!!

I also bought this this hypex based amp for my partner and it is fantastic as well, absolutely silent/clean so I doubt you would be disappointed with any of their power amps, but you might just have that little niggle at the back of your mind (if you're anything like me).

Joffy1780

OP
S

Smithg97

I assume you've read Amir's review of this?
I saw that the conclusion was to buy it if i were to go with the Audiophonics, in your opinion would i be better off using an RCA switch or using rca to xlr converters and using the input switch on the amp? Googling transparent rca switches is proving to be a long drawn out thing where the only recommendation seems to be the Schiit SYS but it's out of stock with no notes about when it will be available again

Joffy1780

I saw that the conclusion was to buy it if i were to go with the Audiophonics, in your opinion would i be better off using an RCA switch or using rca to xlr converters and using the input switch on the amp? Googling transparent rca switches is proving to be a long drawn out thing where the only recommendation seems to be the Schiit SYS but it's out of stock with no notes about when it will be available again
I'm gonna bow to more knowledgeable folks on this one. The 3 channel version only has XLR inputs, so I have the pre outs of my AVR connected to an XLR switch via RCA > unbalanced XLR cables and outputs 1 + 2 of the flex connected with balanced TRS to balanced XLR cables.
I would think you would be just as well using the switch on the amp.
Enquire with Audiophonics, they are very responsive and accomodating.

OP
S

Smithg97

The 6000a wouldn't digitise the signal in that scenario, only when using it's digital inputs.
As far as purifi power amps with remote control capabilities, or multiple remotely switchable inputs, I don't know of any. I know NAD use Purifi or Hypex modules in some of their integrated and power amps, but you pay a hefty premium for the brand. My power amp only has XLR inputs, so I use an XLR switch (not remote operated). I don't think there are many multiple input power amps at all really. Audiophonics sell mono block amps with both XLR and RCA inputs, with a physical switch to choose between the two.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ifier-class-d-ncore-1x500w-4-ohm-p-14319.html
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-d-amplifier-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html
I think to have the ability to switch remotely you would need to use an integrated with HT bypass. As I say the branded integrated amps with Purifi/hypex modules are overpriced IMHO.
The flex arrived today and I'm having difficulties getting it to play nice with the audiolab when using the AUX inputs for some reason, have tried all 3 aux inputs and in all 3 modes (pre / pre pwr / integrated) but no sound! The sound is only working when i connect the flex to the pwr inputs on the audiolab which is the connection i need for my avr front pre-outs in order to use HT bypass! Any ideas guys?

Joffy1780

The flex arrived today and I'm having difficulties getting it to play nice with the audiolab when using the AUX inputs for some reason, have tried all 3 aux inputs and in all 3 modes (pre / pre pwr / integrated) but no sound! The sound is only working when i connect the flex to the pwr inputs on the audiolab which is the connection i need for my avr front pre-outs in order to use HT bypass! Any ideas guys?
Do you have the aux connected to outputs 3+4 of the flex? If so, you will need to set the flex to output via those channels. By default it only outputs via outputs 1+2.

OP
S

Smithg97

Do you have the aux connected to outputs 3+4 of the flex? If so, you will need to set the flex to output via those channels. By default it only outputs via outputs 1+2.
Do you mean in the inputs & routing section of the minidsp app? I tried activating all outputs on the toslink input option and not joy

Joffy1780

The output of the flex is not dependant on the source/input chosen, but which preset you are using. So if for preset 1 you have the flex outputting via outputs 1+2 to the power in of your 6000a, you would have preset 2 outputting via outputs 3+4? This is the simplest setup. Is that how you have it set at the moment?
Do you mean in the inputs & routing section of the minidsp app? I tried activating all outputs on the toslink input option and not joy

OP
S

Smithg97

The output of the flex is not dependant on the source/input chosen, but which preset you are using. So if for preset 1 you have the flex outputting via outputs 1+2 to the power in of your 6000a, you would have preset 2 outputting via outputs 3+4? This is the simplest setup. Is that how you have it set at the moment?
Essentially I'm going to be using 2 presets;
Preset 1: Toslink (source WiiM mini) output RCA 1&2 (Goes to my RCA switch then to the pwr input of the audiolab) RCA 3&4 goes to the subwoofers
Preset 2: Analogue (source LFE channels of the AVR) output RCA 3&4

Preset 1 is not ideal as I'd prefer to eliminate the RCA switch from the chain but the AUX inputs of the audiolab don't seem to be working in this setup

Preset 2 I'm still trying to setup but no luck yet lol input meters are registering movement but no output

Joffy1780

Essentially I'm going to be using 2 presets;
Preset 1: Toslink (source WiiM mini) output RCA 1&2 (Goes to my RCA switch then to the pwr input of the audiolab) RCA 3&4 goes to the subwoofers
Preset 2: Analogue (source LFE channels of the AVR) output RCA 3&4

Preset 1 is not ideal as I'd prefer to eliminate the RCA switch from the chain but the AUX inputs of the audiolab don't seem to be working in this setup

Preset 2 I'm still trying to setup but no luck yet lol input meters are registering movement but no output
When you use the aux inputs of the 6000a, what sort of levels are you setting the Flex and 6000a to?

Joffy1780

Do you mean one set to 0 and the other -30 or both at -30?

OP
S

Smithg97

Do you mean one set to 0 and the other -30 or both at -30?
I tried both at -30 and there was no sound at all unfortunately

Regarding my preset 2 setup any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here? The AVR pre-out/lfe is connected to the flex rca inputs then flex rca output 3 to the left sub and output 4 to the right sub. I'm seeing input meters move up & down in the minidsp software but not the outputs

Joffy1780

I tried both at -30 and there was no sound at all unfortunately

Regarding my preset 2 setup any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here? The AVR pre-out/lfe is connected to the flex rca inputs then flex rca output 3 to the left sub and output 4 to the right sub. I'm seeing input meters move up & down in the minidsp software but not the outputs
Set the 6000a to 0 and increase the volume on the flex (slowly).
Regards preset 2, could you post a screenshot of the routing screen?

Top Bottom