• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab 6000A - PEQ options -miniDSP?

OP
S

Smithg97

It certainly would! As I say, I love mine and haven't even really scratched the surface of what it can do. If you love a tinker around, it will keep you occupied forever.
Tinkering is a love hate relationship lol would prefer to just click my fingers and have the best possible setup but life's not that easy so tinkering is a necessity!

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tinkering is a love hate relationship lol would prefer to just click my fingers and have the best possible setup but life's not that easy so tinkering is a necessity!
You could get the Dirac license. $199 and, in theory, you run the setup once and that's it.

OP
S

Smithg97

If i were to go with the flex unbalanced would it be worth the cost to add the dirac software? From what i understand it doesn't manage subwoofers and is only for 2.0 channels

Joffy1780

It corrects the full frequency range, but doesn't specifically recognise your subs. You need to set the crossovers yourself etc. But once you have ran the software you can create custom curves in an instant etc. If you are a whiz with REW you may be able to get the same results for free, but I am not quite at the level of expertise, so have went the Dirac route.
I must admit, I have not successfully implemented it yet, having difficulty with background noise etc.
I have the day off work tomorrow and plan to have another crack at it

Joffy1780

If I think it was worth the extra $199 I'll let you know. Others have remarked that they don't like the Dirac 'sound', but the majority of comments I have seen seem to be very positive, so we'll see.

TimW

Major Contributor
I have used Dirac and got great sound, and I have used it and got worse sound. It depends on how well you have the system set up as far as placement, volume, and crossover settings in the miniDSP before you run Dirac. The system built into your Denon receiver is definitely easier to use and still quite customizable if you use the MultEQ editor app.

OP
S

Smithg97

I'm leaning towards ordering the flex without dirac, trialing it to see if the flex + audiolab is a considerable upgrade vs the denon on its own but as above, if i want to utilise 7.2.4 from the denon then I'll need a stereo power amp so might as well keep the audiolab and validate whether the flex transforms the audiolab into a stereo amp marvel whatever happens, the the wiim mini is a permanent feature of my setup as it's amazing especially fkr the price

Joffy1780

Same here, mightily impressed with my Wiim!!

OP
S

Smithg97

I have used Dirac and got great sound, and I have used it and got worse sound. It depends on how well you have the system set up as far as placement, volume, and crossover settings in the miniDSP before you run Dirac. The system built into your Denon receiver is definitely easier to use and still quite customizable if you use the MultEQ editor app.
I have the app, bit cheeky that Denon forces you to buy it to turn off mrc but it does help certain aspects of the setup what with curve editor...etc but the reality is that AVR's are generally substandard for stereo music unless you pay through the nose for an Arcam or similar, I'm hopeful that the audiolab when paired with the miniDSP flex will be an excellent music system as well as allowing the 6000A to continue to take the front channel amplification burden away from the Denon giving me enough headroom to achieve 7.2.4

TimW

Major Contributor
I have the app, bit cheeky that Denon forces you to buy it to turn off mrc but it does help certain aspects of the setup what with curve editor...etc but the reality is that AVR's are generally substandard for stereo music unless you pay through the nose for an Arcam or similar, I'm hopeful that the audiolab when paired with the miniDSP flex will be an excellent music system as well as allowing the 6000A to continue to take the front channel amplification burden away from the Denon giving me enough headroom to achieve 7.2.4
According to Amir's measurements, it seems the AVR is bad for stereo story is a myth. Your Denon actually measures better than most of the Arcams measured here along with many of the 'hi-fi' components measured.

OP
S

Smithg97

According to Amir's measurements, it seems the AVR is bad for stereo story is a myth. Your Denon actually measures better than most of the Arcams measured here along with many of the 'hi-fi' components measured.
Interesting about the Arcams, that comes as a surprise! What i can say for sure is that the audiolab gives a clarity and dynamism that the Denon does not, at least to my ears, i think I'll trial the miniDSP flex and if it doesn't add anything then I'll send it back

Romario

I'm lurking this thread and wait for the end result. The audiolab sounds nicer in stereo than a Denon receiver, to my ears as well. I was hoping that a wiim mini or pro could help with bass managment but it has its limits , so it seems.

OP
S

Smithg97

I'm lurking this thread and wait for the end result. The audiolab sounds nicer in stereo than a Denon receiver, to my ears as well. I was hoping that a wiim mini or pro could help with bass managment but it has its limits , so it seems.
The EQ in the WiiM mini app is not very sophisticated plus it does not allow you to set crossovers which is what i believe will make the biggest difference

Romario

I think you already tried to use the AVR as the power amp with the analog pre out of the audiolab into the AVR, bypassing the Denon DAC with no avail.

Joffy1780

I think you already tried to use the AVR as the power amp with the analog pre out of the audiolab into the AVR, bypassing the Denon DAC with no avail.
You can't use any of the DSP functions of the AVR without the Denon first digitising the signal. No crossovers or even subwoofer output in this scenario.

Romario

In " stereo" mode you can use next to the front left and right also the subwoofer, ( bass and treble also, if I remember correctly) but without dsp, that's right.

Joffy1780

You would need to use the DAC in the Denon to apply crossovers, can't be avoided. To keep the signal path analogue, you would have to use pure direct, therefore only 2.0.

OP
S

Smithg97

What denon avr are you using?

Joffy1780

As far as Dirac goes, still unable to get it to work for me

Romario

What denon avr are you using?
2600? Something like that, level below yours I guess, but I sold it after half a year because of the underwhelming stereo performance in comparison to my old Marantz AVR at the time.

Top Bottom