• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab 6000A - PEQ options -miniDSP?

Smithg97

I have an Audiolab 6000A integrated amp which i'm using for 2 purposes; 1 as a power amplifier for my front channel speakers - the 6000A is connected via the pre-out of my Denon X3700H AVR - this function is working flawlessly. I also use the 6000A as an integrated amp for stereo music via the WiiM mini streamer. The speakers in question are the Klipsch RP-6000F.

The stereo music part of the equation sounds reasonably good but is definitely driving too much speaker bass while also not leveraging the connected subs well at all (SVS PB-1000 Pro x2 which are connected to the pre-outs on the 6000A). Given that the PEQ in the WiiM app that i use as the source isn't great I want a better option to integrate the subs (e.g. by having the ability to apply crossovers) as well as the ability to apply a properly calibrated EQ curve.

Can someone give me any recommendations on what miniDSP product would work best - it would need to have optical input (to allow me to connect the WiiM streamer), ideally with the ability to control via Logitech Harmony but not a dealbreaker - i've seen that the 2x4 HD and the more expensive flex digital / analogue could be good options (not sure if the digital flex would be better in order to continue leveraging the 6000A DAC or if the flex DAC would be better)

I'd also like to understand a bit more about how to approach setup as it's a bit complex for my tiny brain, presumably i'd have the WIiM connected to the miniDSP via optical cable so that the WiiM's DAC is bypassed, if i look at something like the miniDSP 2x4 HD i see it has 4x analogue outputs so unsure how to connect everything, would i need to use 1x output from the miniDSP to each subwoofer and the remaining 2x outputs to connect to one of the analogue input options of the 6000A (e.g. AUX1, 2 or 3), also, how would I then go about connecting it all to my PC in order to measure FR with REW & UMIK-1 in order to know what PEQ to apply - would I connect the PC to the USB socket on the miniDSP or to one of the digital inputs on the 6000A? guessing the latter....

Feedback much appreciated :)

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have an Audiolab 6000A integrated amp which i'm using for 2 purposes; 1 as a power amplifier for my front channel speakers - the 6000A is connected via the pre-out of my Denon X3700H AVR - this function is working flawlessly. I also use the 6000A as an integrated amp for stereo music via the WiiM mini streamer. The speakers in question are the Klipsch RP-6000F.

The stereo music part of the equation sounds reasonably good but is definitely driving too much speaker bass while also not leveraging the connected subs well at all (SVS PB-1000 Pro x2 which are connected to the pre-outs on the 6000A). Given that the PEQ in the WiiM app that i use as the source isn't great I want a better option to integrate the subs (e.g. by having the ability to apply crossovers) as well as the ability to apply a properly calibrated EQ curve.

Can someone give me any recommendations on what miniDSP product would work best - it would need to have optical input (to allow me to connect the WiiM streamer), ideally with the ability to control via Logitech Harmony but not a dealbreaker - i've seen that the 2x4 HD and the more expensive flex digital / analogue could be good options (not sure if the digital flex would be better in order to continue leveraging the 6000A DAC or if the flex DAC would be better)

I'd also like to understand a bit more about how to approach setup as it's a bit complex for my tiny brain, presumably i'd have the WIiM connected to the miniDSP via optical cable so that the WiiM's DAC is bypassed, if i look at something like the miniDSP 2x4 HD i see it has 4x analogue outputs so unsure how to connect everything, would i need to use 1x output from the miniDSP to each subwoofer and the remaining 2x outputs to connect to one of the analogue input options of the 6000A (e.g. AUX1, 2 or 3), also, how would I then go about connecting it all to my PC in order to measure FR with REW & UMIK-1 in order to know what PEQ to apply - would I connect the PC to the USB socket on the miniDSP or to one of the digital inputs on the 6000A? guessing the latter....

Feedback much appreciated :)
I have Flex (balanced) and I'm using it in much the same way as you are suggesting.
You would indeed be best bypassing the DAC in Wiim Mini, and I would be incredibly surprised if the onboard DAC in the 6000a outperformed the Flex or 2x4HD.
You would then connect 2 of the 4 outputs to an analogue input on the 6000a, and one each to your subs.
As far as REW and the UMIK-1, the PC would be connected to the USB input of the Minidsp device.
As I say, I'm running a similar setup - Denon 3600 front pre-outs feeding power amp and 2 channel setup of Wiim Pro> Flex>sub+power amp.
You also have the option of the Dirac Live upgrafe as well, should you want to.
FWIW, and obviously you weren't asking, but I would ditch the Audiolab and get a hypex/purifi based power amp.

Joffy1780

Oh, and I also use a Harmony remote, works brilliantly with the flex and allows direct input switching (as opposed to toggling through inputs with the supplied remote) if you wanted to connect another digital source to the Flex.

Joffy1780

You could, as Rednaxela suggested, simply connect the Wiim Mini to an input on the 3700, as I would honestly think even the DAC in the 3700 outperforms the 6000a here as well.

OP
S

Smithg97

I have listened to music via the 3700h and is definitely not as good overall as the 6000A, the only really issue i have with the 6000A is bass management which i think the flex would solve as it'd give me the ability to manage crossovers and EQ

OP
S

Smithg97

I have Flex (balanced) and I'm using it in much the same way as you are suggesting.
You would indeed be best bypassing the DAC in Wiim Mini, and I would be incredibly surprised if the onboard DAC in the 6000a outperformed the Flex or 2x4HD.
You would then connect 2 of the 4 outputs to an analogue input on the 6000a, and one each to your subs.
As far as REW and the UMIK-1, the PC would be connected to the USB input of the Minidsp device.
As I say, I'm running a similar setup - Denon 3600 front pre-outs feeding power amp and 2 channel setup of Wiim Pro> Flex>sub+power amp.
You also have the option of the Dirac Live upgrafe as well, should you want to.
FWIW, and obviously you weren't asking, but I would ditch the Audiolab and get a hypex/purifi based power amp.
In your setup i guess you adjust volume on the flex rather than the amp?

Joffy1780

I have listened to music via the 3700h and is definitely not as good overall as the 6000A, the only really issue i have with the 6000A is bass management which i think the flex would solve as it'd give me the ability to manage crossovers and EQ
Are you comparing Vs Denon in pure direct or with Audyssey/bass management involved? I'm guessing the latter, as the only possible difference with the 2 in pure direct would be the DACs, and I'd very surprised if there was an audible improvement either way really, so the likely difference your hearing is the effects of the Audyssey correction and maybe this is not to your taste for music?

Joffy1780

Joffy1780

Maybe you could try creating a custom house curve with Audyssey app, and this could potentially save you a lot of money/cure the upgraditis?

Joffy1780

@Smithg97 just out of curiousity, how are your subs connected to the 3700? Does the 3700 output the LFE to your L+R and treat those as full range speakers? I can only see one set of line level inputs on the sb1000 pro or am I missing something?

OP
S

Smithg97

1 have the 2x LFE outputs connected to one RCA input on each of the subs and the other RCA inputs are fed by the 6000A.

OP
S

Smithg97

Are you comparing Vs Denon in pure direct or with Audyssey/bass management involved? I'm guessing the latter, as the only possible difference with the 2 in pure direct would be the DACs, and I'd very surprised if there was an audible improvement either way really, so the likely difference your hearing is the effects of the Audyssey correction and maybe this is not to your taste for music?
I did try both and still think that clarity and stereo imaging is better on the 6000A as music via Denon AVR is never as good as stereo amp imo

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I'd try and truly get the most out of your Denon's DSP.

Only stop when you're absolutely sure there is nothing left to be gained.

All it takes is the Audyssey app, a UMIK-1 and REW. Should it not work out you will need the latter two for a MiniDSP alternative route anyway.

Joffy1780

I did try both and still think that clarity and stereo imaging is better on the 6000A as music via Denon AVR is never as good as stereo amp imo
But, when you really strip it down the only difference is the DAC (in your setup), they are both using the same amp. I really think the other 'qualities' the Denon lacks maybe down to you preferring the effects of certain room modes? Also in pure direct there will be nothing routed to your subs, whereas via the 6000a you are getting loads (too much by the sound of it) of lovely deep bass, and who doesn't love bass!!

OP
S

Smithg97

I have a question that could possibly help me better integrate my subs with the 6000A without the need to buy a minidsp. As the subs have a high level connection as well as lfe, could i connect my fronts to them using high level so that the stereo amp manages crossovers properly when listening to music or would it make zero difference vs the way i currently have them connected?

OP
S

Smithg97

But, when you really strip it down the only difference is the DAC (in your setup), they are both using the same amp. I really think the other 'qualities' the Denon lacks maybe down to you preferring the effects of certain room modes? Also in pure direct there will be nothing routed to your subs, whereas via the 6000a you are getting loads (too much by the sound of it) of lovely deep bass, and who doesn't love bass!!
Actually i would say that when listening to music via the 6000A the amp is routing too much bass to the speaker woofers and not enough to the subs which makes it sound a bit boomy and causes the speakers to struggle a bit as i never like running them in large mode which is where i thought a minidsp could solve the issue to manage crossovers correctly as well as the added bonus of EQ'ing to correct for the room, plus as i understand it the flex has a much better DAC than both the Denon and Audiolab. Ultimately i will need to retain an additional amp of some description (either integrated or power) as i plan on adding more speaker channels to get to 7.2.4 for movies

Joffy1780

Zero difference I'm afraid as the 6000a has no way to manage the crossovers. Do you have any low pass filter engaged on the subs when listening in 2 channel setup?

Top Bottom