• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioInterface vs Amp with passive speakers

liliaokulani

Hello,

just a questions in order for me to learn and understand all this new stuff.

If I used passive studio monitors i could connect these to a Notebook through

1) an Audio Interface or

2) an Amp that is connected to a DAC? Would you need a preamp for the speakers?

My setup will be the Adam T5V with the Motu M4 but if I were to go the DAC/Amp route I dont quite understand how that works.

If I were to use the Magnius and Modius would I need another device?

Balanced XLR on the TV5 could be connected to either XLR or balanced TRS outputs on the AI or DAC/Amp combo?

Would I need a passive monitor controller for volume?

Thanks in advance

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
using a pre-amp is an option, but not required.
Run cables from the Moto M4 to the Adam T5V, 1/4 TRS to XLR
That look like this, that should do the job.
61mLsjj352L._AC_SY450_.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use passive speakers you'll need an amp at some point. If your source is digital audio, you'll need a dac to convert it. The Adam T5V is an active speaker, so no need for an amp in addition to that the speaker has. You may want to use a pre-amp to control sources and volume, tho.

FunkeXMix

I am curious about this too. Did I understand correctly. Sound starts from computer. USB to audio interface (focusrite 2i2) -> audio interface line out to to power amp input (behringer a800) - power amp to passive speakers?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I am curious about this too. Did I understand correctly. Sound starts from computer. USB to audio interface (focusrite 2i2) -> audio interface line out to to power amp input (behringer a800) - power amp to passive speakers?[
Yes. Or, your soundcard will work directly into the amp (analog headphone-out or line-out) without the interface and the quality may be OK, but the interface gives you a handy volume control knob.

Top Bottom