• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioholics goes off the reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesDaddy

On his Facebook Group a few years ago I made the comment that it was hard to resist the pressure of advertising dollars when something similar was posted. I got kicked out of the group.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They wouldn't do any isolating at all.

Thanks for the clarification. Could use another…

Are you using a spring with a spike on the bottom to reduce wobble/creeping? Maybe a pic would help. Thanks!

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While there are uses for decoupling and isolation... $1000? That's ludicrous. I use neoprene for my stand mount speakers and it does help especially at high volume. They can buzz the stand if I don't. I think I have $40 all in.

In live sound reinforcement, we used to suspend subs with airplane wire.

My Statements clock in at 128lbs each. In my current room (carpet on concrete slab) they don't need any isolation. But if you tip them up to expose the bottom I have threaded inserts. I had them on hardwood at one point and they needed isolation.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Frank sir, it's enthusiastic amateurs and less well versed reviewers confusing the terms most likely.
Confusion is the result, the cause is the human tendency of "monkey see monkey do."

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can understand being disappointed they didn't provide measurements, but that above seems a bit of a leap, without any other confirming evidence than being disappointed with the lack of measurements.

If you have found them generally fair minded for so long, why not the benefit of the doubt?

I've got to agree with this sentiment. I think the thing most people are stung by isn't the review of a speaker 'spike', but a really expensive speaker spike.

I've had to use them and they've made a difference. Just not going to drop $250 a spike...

a2copywriter

FWIW (anecdotal evidence alert!), I'm very happy with a ~$50 Auralex Subdude isolation pad purchased years ago.

I did not do this to improve sound quality or "lift a veil" or any other "magic." Instead, I did it because my subwoofer rattled objects in my room.

See, we have a wood floor and a floating IKEA shelf in our home theater/living room. That shelf is attached to the wall without any decoupling. And on it are a few objects/knickknacks.

Whenever I watched an action movie, the Polk PSW-505 subwoofer rattled those objects -- annoying me and my wife.

Once we switched to an isolation pad, our decorations stopped rattling.

I don't listen closely enough or care enough to measure any difference in sound quality. But not having buzzing/rattling is a huge upgrade in my book.

If I wanted to improve sound quality, I'd treat the room and EQ it, optimize speaker placement, then consider improved speakers if needed.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
Yeah I am a member of both sites so watching the escalating forum war has gotten funny I just stay out of it. I love both places for different reasons

In the comment section of that thread at audioholics these so called isolators got blasted pretty good by forum members

Both sites are great they both have there strengths

I try to go to several sites I like to get the most balanced idea of whatever it is I'm interested in but ASR is on top of the list for sure

Glen20

FWIW (anecdotal evidence alert!), I'm very happy with a ~$50 Auralex Subdude isolation pad purchased years ago.

I did not do this to improve sound quality or "lift a veil" or any other "magic." Instead, I did it because my subwoofer rattled objects in my room.

See, we have a wood floor and a floating IKEA shelf in our home theater/living room. That shelf is attached to the wall without any decoupling. And on it are a few objects/knickknacks.

Whenever I watched an action movie, the Polk PSW-505 subwoofer rattled those objects -- annoying me and my wife.

Once we switched to an isolation pad, our decorations stopped rattling.

I don't listen closely enough or care enough to measure any difference in sound quality. But not having buzzing/rattling is a huge upgrade in my book.

If I wanted to improve sound quality, I'd treat the room and EQ it, optimize speaker placement, then consider improved speakers if needed.
I found similar
So it must be true! ( joke)
I use Primaacoustics isoplane foam (cost $10 on special)under my speakers which stops the China rattling in the sideboard it sits on.
Placing my 8030s ( while sorting stands) in that place resulted in no rattling with its Isoacoustic isolator on.

egellings

Major Contributor
My floors are concrete. They don't vibrate at all and make a good base for the speakers to sit upon.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So there is a measured decrease in vibration with the isoaccoustics footers, but no real difference in measured frequency sweep. Would that translate to something different with complex music playing?

If the perceived differences with the footers are due to change in height then this should be simple to confirm. Someone needs to measure their Focal speakers with microphone height difference of 10-15cm. Would that show something that would explain the preference for footers?
Also, why are all the sighted tests preferring the "higher" speaker? Is this sighted bias? Or do we all need to raise our speakers?

Genuinly curious as some of my buddies swear by these things.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I generated waterfall plots for a couple of vibration isolators, including a product from isoacoustics. Short version is that there were definitely measurable differences.

Speaker with stock tiny rubber feet:
1594932686525.png

Speaker with IsoAcoustics Orea's:
1594932762292.png

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since most of the thread posts are about (off topic) isolation, perhaps a rename along those lines would be better…

Another thread could be started for the discussion of AH’s questionable ethics and the pertinent posts moved there.

Just a thought. ;)

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
I use "Isolate It!" sorbothane domes for my subwoofer and it makes a huge difference, but I'm on a suspended wooden floor so the reduction in energy transfer is significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom