• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiogon thread critical of ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Did I miss something?

Again?

Yuhasz01

I read a page of the Audiogon crying and it was pretty basic stuff. Basic thoughts, basic crying and basic mentality. Nothing much to see or read.
Nothing to see or read there… another turd in the bowl… flush

Yuhasz01

I went there a few times and it took my breath away how much stuff costs. They had a turntable that costs more than my SUV. I think snobs who overpay for things are just lashing out at anyone who measures things in the real world. I'm listening to a Topping D10b and Topping A90 amplifier (spent $380 total with shipping for both) and would put it up against most of what they have there in a blind listening test. The Hifiman Arya sounds amazing, also the Beyerdynamic T90 is really sounding good on it too, might keep that for a daily driver. The point is, those are people who grossly overpaid for technology that hasn't aged gracefully when it comes to measurements.
Very good point my friend. They are flogging old technology or flawed technology devices at high prices for used. Follow the money interests….

dorakeg

Probably someone drew attention to it already but there is a recent long thread on Audiogon that is highly critical of ASR. It was included in their last weekly summary of popular posts. I was extremely surprised and dismayed that some of the contributors bashed Amir, ASR, and ASR pundits. It is interesting reading provided that one doesn’t take it seriously.

Just think of it as part and parcel of life. Forums bashing other forums is very common. This is the internet afterall, everyone is feel to say anything.

Sonny1

I’ve been lurking around ASR for a while and have read every one of Amir’s reviews and watched every video, some more than once. Not ONCE has Amir ever told us how to “remove the veil” from the sound or how break-in transformed the sound of his speakers and how certain subs are “fast”, how cryptic transforms systems, how expensive caps open up your sound, and how power conditioning can make a bad system sound good. He just measures stuff and talks about the measurements. He even likes low cost DAC’s and often likes low cost speakers most audiophiles would be ashamed to admit owning. He never appreciates power cords no matter how expensive they are. Heck, he scoffs at these items. Amir doesn’t understand (as many astute audiophiles have explained) how silver cables sound bright and copper sounds nice and warm. He just measures stuff and uses mysterious math. Oh, and he often scoffs at vintage and high end tube gear many audiophile “experts” drool over and spend thousands of dollars to buy.

Amir, when are you going to come around to buy into the “facts” that most audiophiles have accepted years ago? Just kidding, it’s no wonder the Audiogon mob goes crazy when they read that their $3500 power cord or super expensive power conditioner or DAC has serious design flaws or measures very poorly. It’s much easier to just kill the messenger. I hope this place never changes. It’s a refreshing breath of fresh air.

TimF

Forum Donor
A miscreant is a person who behaves badly — who lies, breaks the law, yells at puppies. It's a somewhat old-fashioned word, popular with old ladies shocked at having their purses stolen at the opera.

I've never yelled at puppies or had my purse stolen at the opera, no comment on the other two.
I didn't know it was your purse. Sorry about that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd just consider a badge of honor that the general 'phool audience at audiogon gets frustrated with actual information.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depend how it is constructed. Silver wire is cleaner sound than copper with similar build. It leave very little sound tail.
But... does it still waggle?

OP
aslan7

aslan7

But... does it still waggle?
This silver thing interests me. Before I discovered ASR I foolishly bought some middle level cables from a well known maker in Florida. The gold plated banana plugs were so stiff they needed to be wrestled into the speakers and amp. So I called the company and asked if it was feasible to crimp them very slightly. They seriously advised me to replace all the pins with silver connectors because the metal was softer. They also sagely noted that for that cable model they no longer used gold because the silver made a significant sound improvement. I didn’t believe it but what an odd contention.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This silver thing interests me. Before I discovered ASR I foolishly bought some middle level cables from a well known maker in Florida. The gold plated banana plugs were so stiff they needed to be wrestled into the speakers and amp. So I called the company and asked if it was feasible to crimp them very slightly. They seriously advised me to replace all the pins with silver connectors because the metal was softer. They also sagely noted that for that cable model they no longer used gold because the silver made a significant sound improvement. I didn’t believe it but what an odd contention.
Yet no odder than the rest of the strange things the snake oil merchants make up. I have to admire their imagination, if not their ethics.

syn08

OTOH, I have to confess the guilty pleasure of mischievously ruffing the feathers of the High End Audio priests, in particular those attempting to invent a new physics to support their pile of bull chips. Their squirming, moaning, name dropping, etc… has a certain priceless entertainment value. Using key words like “measurement”, “proof”, ”Maxwell”, First Principles”, are safe ways to trigger the foaming.

I’m an old pervert, I know.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's why I use aluminium wires. They sound more modern than those old fashioned metals.
The best aluminum wires, though, are made using the early 19th century artisanal methods, rather than that new-fangled electrolysis.
Of course.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They seriously advised me to replace all the pins with silver connectors because the metal was softer. They also sagely noted that for that cable model they no longer used gold because the silver made a significant sound improvement. I didn’t believe it but what an odd contention.
There's a kit for this process. With a little eye of newt and peacock's tongue, you can change any metal, into any other metal... step right up. (Pay no attention to the man behind the veil)

1664801614623.png

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The best aluminum wires, though, are made using the early 19th century artisanal methods, rather than that new-fangled electrolysis.
Of course.
The best Alum is mined in the papal states and managed by the Medici family... to use any other is heretical and punishable by the Inquisition, who were known for great feats of lifting veils and burning ASR members. (Google it... this was actually true in the 15th century) Alum... "A Stairway to Heaven"

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
This silver thing interests me.

Silver actually has some benefits in contacts experiencing regular high-current make/break action. But it mostly results in a longer service life.

Before I discovered ASR I foolishly bought some middle level cables from a well known maker in Florida. The gold plated banana plugs were so stiff they needed to be wrestled into the speakers and amp. So I called the company and asked if it was feasible to crimp them very slightly. They seriously advised me to replace all the pins with silver connectors because the metal was softer. They also sagely noted that for that cable model they no longer used gold because the silver made a significant sound improvement. I didn’t believe it but what an odd contention.

In audio equipment it doesn't really do anything other than tarnish. You were definitely right in ignoring that bit of "advise" :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
OTOH, I have to confess the guilty pleasure of mischievously ruffing the feathers of the High End Audio priests, in particular those attempting to invent a new physics to support their pile of bull chips. Their squirming, moaning, name dropping, etc… has a certain priceless entertainment value. Using key words like “measurement”, “proof”, ”Maxwell”, First Principles”, are safe ways to trigger the foaming.

I’m an old pervert, I know.
Carcass sounds terrible on Pass Labs "smarter than the producers" amps. That is a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom