• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiogon thread critical of ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonR

Major Contributor
Hmmm, where on their forum is this discussion located? Was there a link to it?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I saw a few great ideas and always got the information I needed for repairs. Many of the great posters are gone and a few passed away.
The remainder are the few that haven't been banned and could care less about 1/2 the post being erased. They will complain all right and then
put a cork in it. I can't! I HATE keyboard bullies. I hate that I said that. BUT it is the truth. KB tough guys are always the mouthiest.

I try not to call names. The term Phool and references to being saved from myself is funny but people don't say that to each other,
do they? I've heard it all from the jealous and rude as a mechanic. I always let them have the last word as I hand them the bill for the repair.
They can claim anything they want. I know who fixed what and who was the dummy.

Every now and then I ask a question of someone hollering. You don't mind if I return that do you? Some gifts you just return to the giver.
1) The best way to learn is to keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.
2) Be polite. Gasoline never quenched a fire.

Here is the real scoop that always worked for me.

1. Two ears, one mouth use it accordingly.

2. It's easier to stay out of trouble, than GET out of trouble.

3. Keep your hand to yourself.

4. Be a gentleperson and respectful. .

5. If you're 5 minutes early, you can't be 5 minutes late!

6. I have NO excuse!

7. Thing change. But I'm pretty sure I'll never like Yoko Ono's Singing.

8. You have a booger hangin'

9. From the movie "Rain man" "Is that you" answer; "Yea". Phone boot scene. "Don't fart in the lunch room"

10. I like "Farm Girl", but if they need a backup alarm, I'm ok with that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw a few great ideas and always got the information I needed for repairs. Many of the great posters are gone and a few passed away.
The remainder are the few that haven't been banned and could care less about 1/2 the post being erased. They will complain all right and then
put a cork in it. I can't! I HATE keyboard bullies. I hate that I said that. BUT it is the truth. KB tough guys are always the mouthiest.

I try not to call names. The term Phool and references to being saved from myself is funny but people don't say that to each other,
do they? I've heard it all from the jealous and rude as a mechanic. I always let them have the last word as I hand them the bill for the repair.
They can claim anything they want. I know who fixed what and who was the dummy.

Every now and then I ask a question of someone hollering. You don't mind if I return that do you? Some gifts you just return to the giver.

Here is the real scoop that always worked for me.

1. Two ears, one mouth use it accordingly.

2. It's easier to stay out of trouble, than GET out of trouble.

3. Keep your hand to yourself.

4. Be a gentleperson and respectful. .

5. If you're 5 minutes early, you can't be 5 minutes late!

6. I have NO excuse!

7. Thing change. But I'm pretty sure I'll never like Yoko Ono's Singing.

8. You have a booger hangin'

9. From the movie "Rain man" "Is that you" answer; "Yea". Phone boot scene. "Don't fart in the lunch room"

10. I like "Farm Girl", but if they need a backup alarm, I'm ok with that.
Do you have an actual point, tho? You seem to be somewhat scattered/lacking in focus for audio matters.

Geert

Major Contributor
I honestly don't think this thread and that one differ so

I think both threads are total opposites. The "solid" posts in the AG one are from only 2 or 3 people who dear to swim upstream. At least two of them are actually ASR members. Here on the other hand it's only 2 people posting questionable stuff. And over here no lack of rationality, profanity and disrespect for experts.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Do you have an actual point, tho? You seem to be somewhat scattered/lacking in focus for audio matters.
And your point is? Geez! I'm not here to focus on anything much less give you an account why I did or didn't.
I don't have a problem following the leader at all. The real point of the thread is?

We are different and we can't get along. The only thing standing in the way is arrogance and a lack of education
on BOTH sides. There you have it from a mechanic who fixes a lot of things, not just some things.

I'm retired, I can do what I want and I usually do. I just happened to SEE the squabble. I was always amazed at the name calling because someone else had
money to literally BURN and some objected to THEM burning it. When they start burning money, equipment or anything else, I'm not shy.
I always ask, could they wait until I get a quit claim deed and a fire extinguisher. I encourage stupid all the way, arrogance not so much.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And your point is? Geez! I'm not here to focus on anything much less give you an account why I did or didn't.
I don't have a problem following the leader at all. The real point of the thread is?

We are different and we can't get along. The only thing standing in the way is arrogance and a lack of education
on BOTH sides. There you have it from a mechanic who fixes a lot of things, not just some things.

I'm retired, I can do what I want and I usually do. I just happened to SEE the squabble. I was always amazed at the name calling because someone else had
money to literally BURN and some objected to THEM burning it. When they start burning money, equipment or anything else, I'm not shy.
I always ask, could they wait until I get a quit claim deed and a fire extinguisher. I encourage stupid all the way, arrogance not so much.
Uh huh

Geert

Major Contributor
The only thing standing in the way is arrogance and a lack of education
on BOTH sides.

What's the lack of understanding at this side? That we don't know what music should sound like? That we believe equipment that measures better sounds better per defenition? That we can't except people can have different preferences? That the scientific knowledge and principles we apply are outdated? That we don't know what it means to be passionate about audio?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I think both threads are total opposites. The "solid" posts in the AG one are from only 2 or 3 people who dear to swim upstream. At least two of them are actually ASR members. Here on the other hand it's only 2 people posting questionable stuff. And over here no lack of rationality, profanity and disrespect for experts.
you read what you want.
rationality ?
The willful ignorance of the primacy of speaker-room coupling by taking refuge in the magic of equalization.
the willful ignorance of the primacy of the decay in the bass and the rest of the spectrum.
the spending of thousands of dollars on equipment to listen in rotten rooms, a total lack of rationality here and on AG.

Both, the arrogance of the so-called experts. the imposture of the word science in the title of this forum and in most of the eminently subjectivist posts of asr.

the hifi is a hobby, unrational hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom