• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioengine N22 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 181 92.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Audioengine N22 desktop stereo amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $199.
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier review.jpg

Fit and finish seems quite high for the class. The volume control is analog but a reviewer said it has poor balance at low volumes.

The quality extends to the back of the unit with large binding posts and such:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier back panel review.jpg

Unusual in this day and age is the fact that the N22 is a class AB amplifier. It was released back in 2011 which explains the reasoning.

Audioengine N22 Amplifier Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard of 5 watts into 4 ohms:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier measurement.png

That is a lot of distortion, forcing the N22 to land in pretty poor category of our ratings:
Best desktop amplifier review 2023.png

FYI the amp took a long time to stabilize on power up:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier warm up measurement.png

As you see, we lost 4 dB as the unit warmed up! Pretty backward.

SNR is not bad and is typical of the desktop class:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier SNR measurement.png

Here is the really bad news:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier Frequency Response measurement.png

Instead of a flat response, we have a bass boost! It is not documented either. Maybe they thought this would distinguish the amp in a crowded feel.

Crosstalk is decent:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier crosstalk measurement.png

Multitone performance is poor as you would expect:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier multitone measurement.png

And power is quite low:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier pwer 4 ohm measurement.png

Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier max and peak power 4 ohm measurement.png

Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier pwer 8 ohm measurement.png

Finally, we expect good transfer function from class AB amp and we get it:
Audioengine N22 stereo small desktop amplifier power vs frequency 4 ohm measurement.png

But you also get elevated noise and very little power (just 12 watts at 20 Hz).

Conclusions
I guess we can cut audioengine some slack for N22 performance because it was produce many years before the crop of performant class D amplifiers. Still, I don't see why we couldn't have gotten flat frequency response. Or lower distortion.

Given the many better choices today, I can't recommend the audioengine N22.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Was the performance such a let down that no point of testing the headphone amplifier on it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

martijn86

OK, let's get one thing straight, this is a bad amplifier. The frequency response, degradation, etc are all terrible. But the <100dB noise floor and 2nd harmonic distortion reaching -60dB, I do have to wonder. Is it going to sound like an exciter?
It doesn't belong there (it belongs in an effect box) and I feel like I might get a lot of hate for saying it but I do think that a little harmonic exciter and a lift in bass can sound quite pleasant to some.

Edit: For those wondering what added upper harmonics sound like and figure out if you like it, check out this video.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
This was released in October 2010 people!
So quite a bit newer/younger than THIS, and it only wins in physical footprint (as long as you consider used prices)? Definitely more powerful and transparent, many more features and inputs, etc. ;)

Last edited:

JktHifi

US standard in Audio quality is still lower than EU. That’s why I always prefer to buy EU speakers, such as UK.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Ouch! Some manufacturers have no shame. If there were any redeeming qualities to this product, they must be contained in the product Advertisement literature. :facepalm:

bboris77

It is sad that they do not even meet their own specification for frequency response which is 20Hz-22kHz ±1dB, nor their distortion spec which is
THD+N 0.02% at all power settings.

Top Bottom