• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioEngine HD6 inbuilt DAC or the Topping D90 MQA or D50s? Currently own AudioEngine A5 and Topping D50s. Looking for a upgrade.

La!$

Help me pick a sound system. I already have a Yamaha YST-SW515 woofer that I'm satisfied with, I just want a good speaker (HD6) and a DAC for HiRes Audio. Mostly play my music from bluetooth since I have no PC. Is there anyway I can get top notch sound from bluetooth (iPhone) or should I buy a PC? Also, inbuilt DAC of HD6 or Topping D50s or D90?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not worry about HiRes or worry very, very little.

I do however try to avid Bluetooth just like I avoid mp3 - you never know exactly what you are getting.

But you can certainly put Redbook rips on your iPhone (just like I do on mine). And iPhones tend to have very good DACs.

The Topping DACs are highly regarded, esp. at their price point.

Last edited:
OP
L

La!$

I would not worry about HiRes or worry very, very little.

I do however try to avid Bluetooth just like I avoid mp3 - you never know exactly what you are getting.

But you can certainly put Redbook rips on your iPhone (just like I do on mine). And iPhone tend to have very good DACs.

The Toppin DACs are highly regarded, esp. at their price point.

So I should avoid bluetooth if I want to play FLAC files and stuff yes? I have many FLAC albums! Should I buy a PC or is there any way around this? Also, is HD6 a good speaker worthy of swapping with the A5s I currently own?

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Help me pick a sound system. I already have a Yamaha YST-SW515 woofer that I'm satisfied with, I just want a good speaker (HD6) and a DAC for HiRes Audio. Mostly play my music from bluetooth since I have no PC. Is there anyway I can get top notch sound from bluetooth (iPhone) or should I buy a PC? Also, inbuilt DAC of HD6 or Topping D50s or D90?
If AudioEngine HD6 has USB input, you could use a USB cable instead of Bluetooth, with an Apple Lightning/Camera Adaptor.
Rather stick to the built-in DAC.
...And you could check out Edifier in the same price band, if you haven't already bought the HD6...most of them don't have USB input though.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may not be able to hear a difference with Bluetooth - there are a bunch of 'variants' of it - @mansr knows more about it.

But, yes, I avoid Bluetooth and use FLAC (or Apple Lossless compression) just to be on the safe side. Try USB.

The AudioEngine are nice speakers but better speakers will be the way to better SQ. Revels are costly but well regarded, same for JBL. It's a budget issue, and 80% or more should go to speakers.

OP
L

La!$

You may not be able to hear a difference with Bluetooth - there are a bunch of 'variants' of it - @mansr knows more about it.

But, yes, I avoid Bluetooth and use FLAC (or Apple Lossless compression) just to be on the safe side. Try USB.

The AudioEngine are nice speakers but better speakers will be the way to better SQ. Revels are costly but well regarded, same for JBL. It's a budget issue, and 80% or more should go to speakers.
Does the HD6 have a usb input so that I can connect it to my iPhone and play FLAC files? Also, I'd like to connect them to my PC as well. Phone and PC. I just bought an average PC. Also, does iPhone lighting camera adapter have lengthy cables? I need a 10ft cable!

mansr

Major Contributor
Yes, there are numerous codecs in use. The basic ones required by the spec are not that great. If both ends support LDAC or aptX HD, there should be no audible degradation even though both formats are lossy. Unfortunately, Bluetooth does not support any lossless codecs. It's also often difficult to find out what is actually being used.

Katji

Major Contributor
Does the HD6 have a usb input so that I can connect it to my iPhone and play FLAC files?
Check the website.
Also, I'd like to connect them to my PC as well. Phone and PC. I just bought an average PC.
Swap the cable or use a USB hub.
Also, does iPhone lighting camera adapter have lengthy cables? I need a 10ft cable!
No, you need 3m/10ft. USB printer cable. You need one anyway because DAC USB input is normally USB Type B, like printer. (External DAC. Active speaker built-in DAC also /probably.)

s-l300-1-1.jpg

Amazon Basics USB 2.0 Printer Cable - A-Male to B-Male 10 Feet (3 Meters)
1622706613174.png

AudioEngine HD6, no USB input. S/PDIF Toslink optical or coaxial, so you would need a converter /adapter. More gadgets/connections.

28a76af5-2d73-44e1-b16d-0c6854b448a1.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Last edited:
OP
L

La!$

Check the website.

Swap the cable or use a USB hub.

No, you need 3m/10ft. USB printer cable. You need one anyway because DAC USB input is normally USB Type B, like printer. (External DAC. Active speaker built-in DAC also /probably.)

s-l300-1-1.jpg

Amazon Basics USB 2.0 Printer Cable - A-Male to B-Male 10 Feet (3 Meters)
View attachment 133512

AudioEngine HD6, no USB input. S/PDIF Toslink optical or coaxial, so you would need a converter /adapter. More gadgets/connections.

28a76af5-2d73-44e1-b16d-0c6854b448a1.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

With the my iPhone connected to the DAC. Will I be able to flac files on my iPhone using a flac player?

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes, if the music player app can play flac files.
...DAC just converts digital audio stream to analog. Decoding flac, MP3, AIFF, ALAC whatever is done on computer/phone.

Top Bottom