• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioEngine D1 measurement suggestion

Hello,

I have the AudioEngine D1 DAC and it's been working very well for 7 or 8 years, approximately. I'm going to buy the SMSL SU-9n and have always wondered how well the AudioEngine D1 compares to newer DACs. The DAC is still for sale on the AudioEngine website and I have, and perhaps to my own ignorance, been quite happy pairing it with my HD660s. @amirm would you be interested in testing this DAC if I shipped it to you? Incidentally, I moved from Seattle's east side last summer so mail is the only option.

Thank you!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have spare Audioengine D1 as well as an Arcam rPAC - it'd be interesting to see how 10+ years old and -at the time- highly praised DAC+HeadphoneAmp compare these days, and whether their specs (which still look pretty good) withstand scrutiny.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The advertised SNR is 110 dB. I would venture to guess the SINAD is around 90 dB. Not SOTA, but probably good enough. I have one and it sounds as good as much better measuring competition. There is no audible noise.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The advertised SNR is 110 dB. I would venture to guess the SINAD is around 90 dB. Not SOTA, but probably good enough. I have one and it sounds as good as much better measuring competition. There is no audible noise.
I second that. It sounds great with the cans I own none of which are overly hard to drive).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I second that. It sounds great with the cans I own none of which are overly hard to drive).
It sounds great with the HD600's. This might sound silly, but its compact and has the output to drive nearly any headphone. It sounds as good as a Massdrop/Grace M900 which currently sells for over $500. Maybe I should try one of the newer dongles. There is a D1 V2 out with the same case but completely revised circuitry.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Honestly, once you reach 90 SINAD, you need either better music that is better recorded or really highly resolving headphones. And HD 650 or HD 600 likely doesn't have enough resolution to expose the flaws unless you have specific really good tracks.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Honestly, once you reach 90 SINAD, you need either better music that is better recorded or really highly resolving headphones. And HD 650 or HD 600 likely doesn't have enough resolution to expose the flaws unless you have specific really good tracks.
The chip amps in many active monitors have a SINAD in the 75 to 80 dB range and nobody is complaining about the sound. Distortion from electronics is way less than speaker distortion. It only becomes a problem when high noise levels cause hiss.

Top Bottom