• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioengine B-Fi Review (Streamer)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Completely wrong and obviously so. Airplay 2 is far better than Chromecast. Plus Apple doesn't sell you a device so they can track what they do with it.
Huh? I was referring to the Audioengine B-Fi
1) worse performance than CCA
2) doesn't support Airplay 2

I'm sure the Belkin is alright but you can get a RasPi 4 for less.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh? I was referring to the Audioengine B-Fi
1) worse performance than CCA
2) doesn't support Airplay 2

I'm sure the Belkin is alright but you can get a RasPi 4 for less.
Less? Have you seen the price of the Belkin device?

Eetu

Forum Donor
Less? Have you seen the price of the Belkin device?
The 2GB boards seem to be out of stock now but I got mine for 55€ (I'm in Europe), 65€ for the 4GB version. So less than the Belkin, but yeah roughly the same if you need the starter kit.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 2GB boards seem to be out of stock now but I got mine for 55€ (I'm in Europe), 65€ for the 4GB version. So less than the Belkin, but yeah roughly the same if you need the starter kit.
Thank you correction.

BitPerfect_

Received mine this Friday, easy to configure if you're already an Apple user.
My chain is iPhone/iPad with airplay -> Belkin Soundform -> ADI2 DAC FS -> Audiophonics MPA-S250NC -> Elac DBR 62
I can't hear distortions, obviously it doesn't mean there are none, it only means that the quality will probably be enough for many of us.

I was looking for an easy way to use airplay with the ADI2, no interest over BT or specific streaming services, this Belkin device is functionally perfect.
Regarding the Belkin Soundform, would you please share with us, when you listen Apple Music, in the above described audio chain, ADI2 DAC shows 16-bit/ 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz?

@Hexus, Raspberry PI + s/pdif hat, will output 16-bit/ 44.1 kHz bit perfect if we are streaming Apple Music using the iPhone / iPad > rPi, can you read this on your DAC? Thanks.

Last edited:

Paolo

Regarding the Belkin Soundform, would you please share with us, when you listen Apple Music, in the above described audio chain, ADI2 DAC shows 16-bit/ 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz?
It's 48 kHz.

IMG_0617.png

BitPerfect_

It's 48 kHz.
Also can you please read (if it’s shown somewhere) it’s 16-bit or 24-bit?

Some claim that AirPlay 2 it’s actually able to deliver 24/48 and if that’s the case, make sense why we have 48 instead of 44.1. Thanks,

cbcl

@amirm I'd be interested to see how this fares when playing directly through Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect (when they go lossless). Looks like you're getting some significant conversion issues with Airplay and to a lesser extent through the app...wondering if you remove both of those from the equation and play directly through the streaming platforms it'd help. Also would have liked to see the dynamic range through the app without Airplay.

Chazz6

I have a B-Fi in the signal path. I also have a JDS Lab Atom DAC ... Is there a device of comparable function, that is, receives wi-fi and outputs digital, which provides noticeably better quality sound -- within twice the price of the B-Fi?
The implemented answer to my question: I got a used Denon HEOS Link HS2 and put it in place of the Audioengine B-Fi. The advantages are that the Denon device supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wi-fi, and that it supports WAV, ALAC and FLAC to 24-bit/192 kHz versus B-Fi's 16 bit/44.1 kHz. Like the B-Fi, it has a TOSlink output that feeds into my DAC.

BubbleUPnP on Android works as the control point. I do not use the HEOS app.

For me and I would guess for many people, wi-fi connection can be flaky – but then, how far can you push reliable Bluetooth? My problem turned out to be the Arris BGW210 router that I must use at the dictate of AT&T's fiber service. I put a modest but much more capable router behind it as an access point, a TP-Link Archer A8. I assigned a static IP to the device. Now the connection is sturdy.

cd_baby

I read this with interest, and it looks like this isn't the product I need.

My set up is not crappy:
Arcam FMJ 1000 DAC into Roksan M1 amp into Focal 948 loudspeakers.
The DAC has USB, Digital and Optical inputs.

Currently, I run a long USB wire across the living room from MacBook into the DAC.
I am simply looking to remove that wire - so the B-Fi looked like it was perfect as I'd only use the optical output.

You mentioned that there are other devices that get this right and can feed the DAC with bit-perfect digital audio.
I'd love a couple of suggestions As I say, I don't need the fancy streaming features - I just want a great quality, wirelessly, going into my DAC from my computer.

What should I look at?

tonycollinet

Major Contributor

My set up is not crappy:

Currently, I run a long USB wire across the living room from MacBook into the DAC.
I am simply looking to remove that wire - so the B-Fi looked like it was perfect as I'd only use the optical output.

You mentioned that there are other devices that get this right and can feed the DAC with bit-perfect digital audio.
I'd love a couple of suggestions As I say, I don't need the fancy streaming features - I just want a great quality, wirelessly, going into my DAC from my computer.

What should I look at?
The belkin device mentioned upthread with airplay 2 should do what you need.

Eetu

Forum Donor

My set up is not crappy:

What should I look at?
I recommend the WiiM Mini, does AirPlay 2, Spotify & Tidal Connect and much more.

Chazz6

Currently, I run a long USB wire across the living room from MacBook into the DAC. I am simply looking to remove that wire - so the B-Fi looked like it was perfect as I'd only use the optical output.

As I say, I don't need the fancy streaming features - I just want a great quality, wirelessly, going into my DAC from my computer.
The Audioengine B-Fi is not loaded with fancy streaming features and is not expensive. Once you set it up, you can launch a stream or a file on your MacBook from the MacBook, very much as I presume you do now. --- Some of us like to launch from a tablet using an app like BubbleUPnP; the Audioengine lends itself to that method, too, but does not require it.

Top Bottom