• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioengine B-Fi Review (Streamer)

Rowlandville

My bad - got things reversed in my head.
No worries. I live in that state!

So back to my initial question: Did the author recommend passing in the Bi-F even if bypassing the DAC? That's what he appeared to be saying, at least to me.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
No worries. I live in that state!

So back to my initial question: Did the author recommend passing in the Bi-F even if bypassing the DAC? That's what he appeared to be saying, at least to me.
No, I don't think that is what Amir was saying.

Evern on digtal performance is poor - not even realising 16 bit level of Sinad or Dynamic range. It is doing some weird (and faulty) conversion internally.

Just get a Wiim mini - much cheaper and with a much better functionality and user interface. And no messing up on the digital output. The Wiiim analogue out (even in the basic version without the improved DAC) beats the digital out of this device.

The digital out of the wiim is essentially perfect - resulting in 20dB better output than you can get from any DAC, so the performance limitation is only what the external DAC can do.

Or, for a few $ more than this unit, you could get the Wiim pro plus which has a state of the art DAC buit in.

(Note : you need the pro plus version (not just the pro) for the SOTA DAC)

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Internally, this Audioengine streamer uses Linkplay’s outdated A31 module. Linkplay is WiiM’s parent company. WiiM streamers use the latest module from Linkplay, which is bit-perfect up to 24/192.

Rowlandville

Internally, this Audioengine streamer uses Linkplay’s outdated A31 module. Linkplay is WiiM’s parent company. WiiM streamers use the latest module from Linkplay, which is bit-perfect up to 24/192.
Well that settles that I guess. I'll be buying a steamer at the outset. Thank you.

Top Bottom