• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioengine B-Fi Music Streamer

kukocz

Forum Donor
Looking at the screenshots... It seems to be based on LinkPlay technology, exactly the same as Audiocast M5. That means almost identical control app and functionality (expect some small customization for manufacturer).
If you don't need optical output you can save ~150$. Sound quality should be similar. :)

NoGoodPoints

Interesting, thanks!

John - I can't argue with Kukocz thinking, but I received the b-fi today. First impressions after a few hours are pretty positive....
- Easy set up - took <5 mins
- Extremely responsive, app navigates faster than my Bluesound node2i and Audirvana apps (personally surprised by this)
- When streaming with Qobuz, Spotify, and DLNA, I had no issues with playback, including 192 files.
- Build feels quite solid

Too early to comment on SQ, but nothing glaring. Played back and forth between the node 2i for about ~10mins and didn't notice any major differences (b-fi via optical and Node via Coax to an Outlaw 2160)

OP
J

JohnnyNG

Thank you! I'm probably looking to use the RCA outs/internal DAC in this setup so hoping they're not too dreadful.

Once set up, does it show up under "Devices Available" in the Spotify app or is continuous use of the Audioengine app required?

NoGoodPoints

Thank you! I'm probably looking to use the RCA outs/internal DAC in this setup so hoping they're not too dreadful.

Once set up, does it show up under "Devices Available" in the Spotify app or is continuous use of the Audioengine app required?

Your assumption is correct - shows up in the Spotify app as an available device.

GoodSammy

I use a B-Fi as the streamer (Tidal) to my vintage setup. The B-Fi replaced an Apple TV/Schitt Modi3. I’ve got no complaints with the SQ of the B-Fi itself, the WiFi is subjectively better than AirPlay. But the WiFi interface on iOS is horrible. This is my first dedicated streamer but I can’t imagine another lacking some of the major features offered on the native app. I’ve sent a laundry list of issues to the developer. If it’s true that the B-Fi is a repackaged version of a $25 streamer, I guess there’s no hope of a better app interface.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I use a B-Fi as the streamer (Tidal) to my vintage setup. The B-Fi replaced an Apple TV/Schitt Modi3. I’ve got no complaints with the SQ of the B-Fi itself, the WiFi is subjectively better than AirPlay. But the WiFi interface on iOS is horrible. This is my first dedicated streamer but I can’t imagine another lacking some of the major features offered on the native app. I’ve sent a laundry list of issues to the developer. If it’s true that the B-Fi is a repackaged version of a $25 streamer, I guess there’s no hope of a better app interface.

Can you describe some of the more egregious issues you’ve experienced? I’m a little piqued with this new offering by audioengine as I already have the D1, D2, and B1... and their older wi-fi dongle thingies — I think the W3(?)

GoodSammy

Don’t know where to start. There’s just so many. Here’s just a few. The Mixes For You that are generated by Tidal don’t appear. No artist bio. No indication of MQA vs HiFi on duplicate albums. On my iPhone the app crashes the first time I start it. Doesn’t switch to artist radio after playing an album. It just loops forever. Horrible graphic. All you get is a record spinning around in play mode.
there’s more.but I don’t have time to write a book.

reallyoldcob

How does the Apple TV work as an Airplay receiver? Does it work alright without turning the TV/projector on? Does the volume of playback from the Apple TV follow the volume you set on Spotify IOS?

GoodSammy

Forgot to add my ATV is a Gen3 with optical. You only need to hook it up to video on initial setup. After that no video needed. The volume is controlled fight from the phone.

bhigh

You can get a used 2nd gen Airport Express for ~ $50 on eBay. I recently purchased one for a similar setup.

GoodSammy

UPDATE: Recently installed Audirvana on the PC which is my dedicated streamer. Audirvana’s UI is about as bland as the B FI. But Audirvana recognizes the B FI as an endpoint. All I need to do is tell the app to switch ‘speakers’ from the DAC on my main system to the B FI on the office.

ivo.f.doma

Can anyone please check if B-Fi supports native Amazon Music HD? I mean, so that data doesn't have to go through a cell phone.

Top Bottom