• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker Review

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what is causing this retention of SPL off-axis between 800Hz-1kHz, as otherwise it has amazing directivity for the price, especially being an active speaker with a DAC.
Almost certainly port output/something cabinet related.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Man, I keep forgetting to do that. Sorry about that. Added to the review just now

No worries, I'll always be there to remind you :D

I have added the Audioengine A5+ to Loudspeaker Explorer where it can be compared to other speakers.

Good consistency within the listening window:

visualization(98).png

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's just powered, not active. And I don't believe it has a dac built in?

The wireless version has a DAC, but not the non-wireless version.

yahrightthere

I use a pair of the A5+ for my desktop computer system, with an SVS SB1000 sub. It took a little fiddling to get the combination right, but the integration is good enough that it sounds pretty seamless. When some deep bass does come along, and it's easy to forget the sub is there, it can be surprising. The best way I would describe the A5+ is that it does very little wrong within its bandpass. With a sub, they made a very livable HT system for my work apartment for several years. In white they look great with a Mac AIO too.
How is your SVS SB1000 sub integrated/connected to your system? Directly to your sub-woofer from your PC sub-woofer out?

Last edited:

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is your SVS SB1000 sub integrated/connected to your system? Directly from your from the sub-woofer out from your PC?

I haven't touched it in so long I forgot... I use Boom on my Mac for EQ to make the A5+ to sub transition smoother.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even the lowest level Genelecs have an active crossover even though it's analog, I believe.

I think the Genelec 8030C sounds better, the one time I heard them, but here in the US (you don't list a location) the 8030C is $695 *each* on www.sweetwater.com. That's a different price category altogether from the 5+.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Genelec 8030C sounds better, the one time I heard them, but here in the US (you don't list a location) the 8030C is $695 *each* on www.sweetwater.com. That's a different price category altogether from the 5+.

Well yeah, price wasn't relevant to the post I was replying to. Genelecs are not competitors with Audioengine. They are just not 'passive speakers with builtin amplifiers'. They're fully active speakers, which are a different thing.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I saw the 100 Hz bump I knew @amirm would like it.;)

On one hand I think a speaker should have a flat on axis FR without needing EQ. On the other hand if the spinorama allows EQ to improve FR as has been stated now for a few speakers why not, especially if EQ costs nothing. Well even Sound&Recording do EQ all studio monitors in their tests before listening.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Not really competitors, indeed. I'd like to see some measurements of the Fluid Audio FX50 (with a DSP based crossover!) and Tannoy Gold 5, as I think coaxial is an extra nice feature for computer speakers that are often used too near.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance of this speaker. How does this compare to the LSR305?

I liked the 5+ better for desktop use, but that's just me. One thing... the LSR305 is discontinued.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Most important curve here is the on-axis (or listening window) which shows pretty flat (for speakers) response sans a wide valley around upper bass. Whether that is on purpose and part of the amplification EQ or design of the speaker, I don't know. But I take higher bass output when I can have it as I can always turn that down.

Output from A5+ amplifier

liESUH5.png

Top Bottom