• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioassholeitius

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m going to admit I suffered with audioassholeitius for many years. Coming to this site was like looking behind the curtain on the Wiz of Oz. No more audio delusions, well maybe still some but most are now bad dreams.

How about you?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Proof Positive that Critical Thinking will always trump outdo Emotional Reasoning!
But I will not dare to ask your definition is (of that esoteric word you used) and google search has just one entry that points to this link. weird.

It is pretty easy having that esoteric attitude when people ask you for help selecting audio hardware.
But I learned back in the days when Bose901s were quite the fad. I could not explain to people to stay away from such processed, squeezed, convoluted speakers. No one would listen... to my advice.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m going to admit I suffered with audioassholeitius for many years. Coming to this site was like looking behind the curtain on the Wiz of Oz. No more audio delusions, well maybe still some but most are now bad dreams.

How about you?
I was pretty much purely subjective in my sales approach of home audio gear for 9 years and then I returned to a technical institute and got a education in electronics and repaired stuff for 15 years till I went to work in a industrial manufacturing setting. I can say being subjective about it was like being blind as a bat compared to now. I had some hang ups about electronics and simply was not able to imagine what the stuff actually does. Not surprising considering the sophistication of the technology and the systems involved.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yep. From about 1988 to about until about 2018 I was subjective. I believed in tubes and Class A amplifiers. Thirty years that I should have known better. I got into this hobby in 1979. Then I was all about specs. In 1988 I got gullible and believed what a salesman had to say over what I learned in school. What a dope I can be.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I never ever bought speakers from a white van! And the Bose Cubes were a Christmas gift and I had no choice but to say I loved them. ;)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find in most hobbies it is best not to ask serious hobbyists for advice if you are looking for guidance. Ask a serious cyclist for advice about bicycles you are likely to get chapter and verse on why bikes not meeting their own ideas are junk. Ditto cooks if you ask about knives, watch enthusiasts if you ask about watches etc. Most people just want something that works, won't cost the earth and which maybe has a bit of pride of ownership, and in just about any interest I know of you don't need to spend much for that. My father was a lifelong golfing nut and never spent much on clubs yet I know quite a few people who have spent $$$$$$$$$$s on trendy clubs and struggle to hit the ball.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been schooled enuf over the years to not even go there for the most part these days....this site is just one of a few where sanity tends to prevail (but not always).

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I've been schooled enuf over the years to not even go there for the most part these days....this site is just one of a few where sanity tends to prevail (but not always).
We can’t be perfect ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Welcome to ASR.

It's like AA for hi fi.
No... that'd be... AA.

1636075684429.png

:cool::facepalm:;)

Ata

Forum Donor
I have a fetish for all things Sony -- there, I said it. :cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have a fetish for all things Sony -- there, I said it. :cool:
better than having pantophobia -- defined by famous 1960s pop psychologist Dr. Lucy van Pelt as "the fear of everything" in A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Thats it.jpg

(which was also Charlie Brown's reply to Lucy's query: "Do you think you have pantophobia, Charlie Brown?", once she defined it) ;)

Reactions: Ata

egellings

Major Contributor
I may have coined a new word-assolocity! Say it with me! Assolocity! It's the property that makes someone an a-hole.

Top Bottom