• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio USB or the other USB...?

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OK, I have been scouring the web like a hungry spider looking for a satisfying feed at least in this case a a new USB lead fro my Topping dac. I don't have the bank managers best biscuits as a courtesy when he sees my face but I am willing to spill an extra bean or three for a decent cable. I am looking at Supra usb and the Furutech Formula 2 cable both are under £50 here in the UK for the approx 0.5m length which is all I wish to fork out. I have read numerous reviews over both cables and and the majority speak in favour of both cables as being a definite upgrade in sound quality over any generic usb lead.
I still have not decided on either quite yet and so am beseeching the experience of anyone on this forum of either cable or both. I am mainly concerned with the sound signature of each cable whether they are muddy, clean, thin, fat and so on..

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It won't be an upgrade - there is NO difference between different USB cables. Amir has tested and measured the difference between expensive and bottom end generic cables. They Make No (audible) Difference.

Save your money and put it towards an upgrade that can actually imrpove your audio experience. Speakers, room treatments or DSP.

Roland68

Major Contributor
OK, I have been scouring the web like a hungry spider looking for a satisfying feed at least in this case a a new USB lead fro my Topping dac. I don't have the bank managers best biscuits as a courtesy when he sees my face but I am willing to spill an extra bean or three for a decent cable. I am looking at Supra usb and the Furutech Formula 2 cable both are under £50 here in the UK for the approx 0.5m length which is all I wish to fork out. I have read numerous reviews over both cables and and the majority speak in favour of both cables as being a definite upgrade in sound quality over any generic usb lead.
I still have not decided on either quite yet and so am beseeching the experience of anyone on this forum of either cable or both. I am mainly concerned with the sound signature of each cable whether they are muddy, clean, thin, fat and so on..
Digital cables, including USB cables, cannot have a sound signature, that is not possible.
If you do hear sonic differences, it's due to a poor quality cable (it may not meet specs), a source that has a very dirty power supply (which can also leak through to the data line), or other physical effects.
All of this leads to a degradation of the original signal, to put it in very simplified terms.

Supra cables are generally of high quality but not cheap.
This cable, LINDY 36641 1m USB 2.0 Typ A an B Kabel, Cromo Line (available in different lengths), made a good impression on me. It appears to be a "similar" cable to the cable sold on ebay with a fishnet modification for around €370.00.
If you can solder your own cables, you can get a very high quality cable from Audiophonics for €9.90/meter that has everything you would pay much more for elsewhere.

Pat

The changing wax in your ears will make a much more significant difference to how you hear than any bs audio cables!

Top Bottom