• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-Technica resurrects its Sound Burger portable turntable from the '80s

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 2022 Sound Burger is available to buy starting today for $199/£200/€229...LINK

90313be0-5943-11ed-aeed-698961350e7c.cf.webp

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought I'd seen several similar (probably just branded) units already....vinyl users can be weird.

ronniebear

I never guessed I'd see the Sound Burger turntable resurrected. There was a Techmoan video review some time ago on YT.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Egads, that thing looks atrocious.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
good lord!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 2022 Sound Burger is available to buy starting today for $199/£200/€229...LINK

90313be0-5943-11ed-aeed-698961350e7c.cf.webp

This product has me completely befuddled.

It looks like something that...long ago when LPs were dominant...tried to allow someone to play records in a more portable way. So maybe it had some sort of function back then.

But...now? Portability isn't the point of vinyl. We have of course super portable music playback systems in our pockets these days. Vinyl is the anti-portable music medium.

I often try to understand the motivations for what people purchase, but this one escapes me.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I remember seeing the original used as a prop in a music video a few decades(?) ago.

Think it was some pop/electronica track. A woman with a big afro, in yellow clothing and on loller skates listening to music on one of these while cruising.

Can't remember the track for the life of me. Could very well just have cooked it up in a fever dream.

deprogrammed

I never guessed I'd see the Sound Burger turntable resurrected. There was a Techmoan video review some time ago on YT.
Here is the new review.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
207K views in two days! That's quite a lot of interest in this modern version of a retro technology product.

A truly well-done and interesting review. "Mat" the Techmoan guy, is obviously not an obsessive vinylphile as can be seen by his failure to make even a cursory effort at dust removal to remove the white specs before he played the records in the video.

Dust on Vinyl Record.jpg

Also, for me, this was an introduction to an interesting YouTube "off the beaten path" technology channel. Thank you. (I will now probably enjoy several hours exploring Techmoan.)

IMHO, the new Sound Burger appears to be a well engineered and appropriately priced piece of nuevo-retro audio gear with enough modern tech updates to make it interesting for both old-timers and the new youthful vinyl crowd. Apparently the first limited production run of 7k units sold out quickly.

Well done, Audio-Technica, and kudos to Mat, the Techmoan reviewer.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A truly well-done and interesting review. "Mat" the Techmoan guy, is obviously not an obsessive vinylphile as can be seen by his failure to make even a cursory effort at dust removal to remove the white specs before he played the records in the video.
Also, for me, this was an introduction to an interesting YouTube "off the beaten path" technology channel. Thank you. (I will now probably enjoy several hours exploring Techmoan.)

His channel is one of my favorites on Youtube. You will have a great time watching him go through the incredible assortment of wonderous gear he manages to find. And you are astute, he isn't really all that technical, though he has working knowledge and can often put back together components ravaged by time, which is often the case. But I think that's great. There's more to technology and he shows that you can still put out essential videos without measurements. I wish all these audio youtuber had half the passion he does and put out better and more interesting work.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Portability isn't the point of vinyl. We have of course super portable music playback systems in our pockets these days. Vinyl is the anti-portable music medium.

I often try to understand the motivations for what people purchase, but this one escapes me.
There are generally not many rational points for vinyl in 2022 (I own over 1000 vinyl records myself) but I can imagine a desired marketing image of "cool" hipsters at an urban picnic, you know digital is so uncool, mainstream and full of steps duuuude :p

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
This product has me completely befuddled.

It looks like something that...long ago when LPs were dominant...tried to allow someone to play records in a more portable way. So maybe it had some sort of function back then.

But...now? Portability isn't the point of vinyl. We have of course super portable music playback systems in our pockets these days. Vinyl is the anti-portable music medium.

I can picture someone checking out records at stores or by other means of selling/buying Vinyl, like the big fleamarket out at the Ashby BART in Berkeley. I got a lot of good LPs there. So potentially a useful tool. I noticed they're sold out.

Top Bottom