• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 91 44.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 29.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 35 17.1%

• Total voters
I was wondering if i possible busted my R70X. I was listening to Braveheart OST and the track playing was Monray's Dream and this loud BOOM came into the headphone. My source was an Apogee Groove. There is no rattling in either driver. Thank you in advance.

Blorg

I was wondering if i possible busted my R70X. I was listening to Braveheart OST and the track playing was Monray's Dream and this loud BOOM came into the headphone. My source was an Apogee Groove. There is no rattling in either driver. Thank you in advance.
Do they sound OK now? If they do, they are probably OK. You can run through the tests here:

Do they sound OK now? If they do, they are probably OK. You can run through the tests here:

Yes they sound fine and ran those tests before posting. Sorry for making such a stupid post i just have bad OCD about stuff and thats why i don't buy anything they were a gift. Thank you, blorg.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The R70X can handle 1W.
The Apogee groove can supply max. 0.05W in the R70X so there is no way it can ever damage the R70X.

The R70X can handle 1W.
The Apogee groove can supply max. 0.05W in the R70X so there is no way it can ever damage the R70X.
Thank you for your help also solderdude. I knew the apogee groove was a weak amp but my ocd was just acting up. Thank you for the help guys.

kmidst

The R70X can handle 1W.
Wait a sec though, can't you still send a clipped signal to the headphones and damage the drivers that way? Having an underpowered amp for the load is the recipe for that scenario.
Edit: Also they spec that 1W at 1khz and call it "maximum" but don't specify if that means continuous indefinitely or what. It could very well mean 1W at 1khz for but a moment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Wait a sec though, can't you still send a clipped signal to the headphones and damage the drivers that way? Having an underpowered amp for the load is the recipe for that scenario.
Edit: Also they spec that 1W at 1khz and call it "maximum" but don't specify if that means continuous indefinitely or what. It could very well mean 1W at 1khz for but a moment.

Clipped would be 0.11W so no, even if it were to output a squarewave at max. volume it simply could not.
The owner said it was short 'boom' and sounded good afterwards so even clipped (not possible with the groove because of the DAC 0dBFS) there cannot be a dangerous amount power.

NexusOne

I actually use the r70x which i like more than 560s and 58x. I listen to rock, metal and movies and would like to know of the Focal Clear OG is more an upgrade or an sidegrade? I ask because i think it could have the same tonality. Maybe a Clear is the next step?

Blorg

I actually use the r70x which i like more than 560s and 58x. I listen to rock, metal and movies and would like to know of the Focal Clear OG is more an upgrade or an sidegrade? I ask because i think it could have the same tonality. Maybe a Clear is the next step?
OG Focal Clear would be a major upgrade IMO, I have both of them. You are correct it is broadly similar tonality but Clear sounds more crisp and detailed, to me at least. Soundstage isn't better though, might even be slightly better on the R70X.

iStunGu

i just got these R70X yesterday and i bought scarlett solo gen 3 with Behringer HA 400 as an amplifier , the sound is like nothing i ever exprienced before (my first open back headphone ever) coming from logitech g pro x , my question is will the scarlett with behringer ha 400 be enough for R70X to get decent quality knowing that i am playing lots of Shooter games and listening to Jazz a lot as well , thanks

kmidst

i just got these R70X yesterday and i bought scarlett solo gen 3 with Behringer HA 400 as an amplifier , the sound is like nothing i ever exprienced before (my first open back headphone ever) coming from logitech g pro x , my question is will the scarlett with behringer ha 400 be enough for R70X to get decent quality knowing that i am playing lots of Shooter games and listening to Jazz a lot as well , thanks

That Behringer HA400 is a bit weak for driving these headphones. The HA400 specs in its manual says "max output level approx. 40 mW in 100 ohms". Well the ATH-R70X headphones are 470 ohms nominal impedance and rated for up to 1000 mW.
I have two different devices I use with these headphones: Topping DX3 Pro+ for portability, otherwise a Soundblaster Z soundcard on my desktop PC using its amplified output and EQ software. They sound great with the tweaks that amirm recommended in this thread.

iStunGu

Problem is , i have limited stock in my country from these products i mean money isn't issue with me it's the availability

I have that behringer HA 400
Samson QH 4
Personus HP4

Among these which is the best in your opinion?

kmidst

Problem is , i have limited stock in my country from these products i mean money isn't issue with me it's the availability

I have that behringer HA 400
Samson QH 4
Personus HP4

Among these which is the best in your opinion?
Hah funny enough I found a review from amirm of my Soundblaster Z card and he basically said the DAC is good but the headphone amp is weak. Yet it sounds good to me. Maybe I just am not pushing them hard.

But in regards to your choices, I'm not familiar with any of these brands. The problem is that they can claim whatever they want for specs but we need people to review them to establish trust. But based on the websites, the specs are kinda all over the place.

HA400: approx. 40 mW in 100 Ω
Samson QH 4: 282mW per side / 564mW per channel, loaded 32Ω
Personus HP4: 130 mW/Ch., <0.5% THD+N, 60Ω load

It seems like you'd get the most power out of the Samson. But that's assuming a linear relationship between the power rating and nominal load impedance (it's not linear in reality). I'd probably get the Samson, hopefully with a easy return policy and try it out.

iStunGu

Hah funny enough I found a review from amirm of my Soundblaster Z card and he basically said the DAC is good but the headphone amp is weak. Yet it sounds good to me. Maybe I just am not pushing them hard.

But in regards to your choices, I'm not familiar with any of these brands. The problem is that they can claim whatever they want for specs but we need people to review them to establish trust. But based on the websites, the specs are kinda all over the place.

HA400: approx. 40 mW in 100 Ω
Samson QH 4: 282mW per side / 564mW per channel, loaded 32Ω
Personus HP4: 130 mW/Ch., <0.5% THD+N, 60Ω load

It seems like you'd get the most power out of the Samson. But that's assuming a linear relationship between the power rating and nominal load impedance (it's not linear in reality). I'd probably get the Samson, hopefully with a easy return policy and try it out.
Thanks a lot i will get that samson and try it out then , thanks man for your assistance

MiloTheFirst

I just got myself a pair from amazon. my initial impresions is that vocals are less forward than I expected by looking at the curve (not a complain) and while instrument separation is pretty good the soundstage is narrower than I hoped. they got lesser resolution than my HD 660s but the sound signature is more balanced in the R70x, making classical and EDM feel fuller sounding (I finally hear some sub-bass, compared to the hd 660s) yet somewhat flat and boring. my main complain with the sound is that in the upper mid range (I Think) or lower treble something make them feel quite a bit shouty and more accute than I like.

the wing system turned out to fit me really well (keep in mind that I have a buzz cut, the clamp preassure is higher than I expected but not to a degree that make them unconfortable.

I am still on the fence about returning them. if I do so I would proabbly get some dt 1990 pro which I am told are very receptive to EQ

btw, I am not sure if my R70x came brand new. they smell new and the pads don't looked worn but I am worried about the box coming without any kind of sealing tape whatsover. is that how all you guys got them too? also some parts of the chasis of the cup "look" degraded by age but I am not sure if that is just the regular finish of that material. any comment regarding this would be highly apreciated

MiloTheFirst

in the part where the screws for the cup swivel mechanism is, it looks aged and/or dirty, but it might be the regular finish of this production
also where the cable connects it looks somewhat aged. did you guys also got it like this?

Attachments

• 20230211_140803_HDR.jpg
    20230211_140803_HDR.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 144
  • 20230211_140913_HDR.jpg
    20230211_140913_HDR.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 20230211_140733_HDR.jpg
    20230211_140733_HDR.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 140

iStunGu

in the part where the screws for the cup swivel mechanism is, it looks aged and/or dirty, but it might be the regular finish of this production
also where the cable connects it looks somewhat aged. did you guys also got it like this?
I just got it from amazon 4 days ago and it's like that don't worry , regarding sound what amplifier you are using?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That to me looks like run of the mill cheap plastic, you can always order a second pair to compare and return one of them or both.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They look like mine. Its not a "glossy" headphone.

Top Bottom