• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x w/ Samsung USB-C Headphone Adapter. Do I need a separate amp?

MartinEighty8

I'm using the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x with a Samsung USB-C Headphone Adapter in my PC. After trying my controller's headphone port, my front port and the Apple USB-C adapter (EU A2155 version), I finally have audio that is perfectly loud, clear with lovely warm bass etc.

So to me, it sounds fantastic. Would getting a separate amp like the JDS Labs Atom or a DAC/Amp like the Loxjie D30 audibly improve my situation any more?

Most likely not an objective question, so subjective answers are more than welcome.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Less is more. if its loud enough you don't need an Amp.
might need an buffer if the output can't handle the current
but in this case it sure can.

dontlikejazz

I have the same headphones, using a Tempotec sonata HD Pro, it's considerably louder than my Macbook jack and of course my iPhone's lightning adapter. WIth the sonata, I can still crank the volume all the way up, but it's unbearable for more than 30 seconds.
Using my Denon DNP800 streamer's headphone output, power is considerably more but I can't raise volume more than 50% as I am getting extrememely loud sound and distortion.
tl;dr additional DAC won't offer more if you're already happy with the power, I personally found a bigger improvement by playing with EQ and using settings close to the ones Amir posted in his review.

Top Bottom