• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Technica ATH-M50X Review (Closed Headphone)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
index.php

I used techflex on my M50X. Those headbands are really an issue.

m50x-hb-kl.jpg

Too bad I don't have it in the original color.

Amir's measurements closely mirror mine

index.php

My measurements show a little less energy in the 1-4kHz range. This is because the drivers are angled (slightly) and my rig having no pinna.

fr-m50x.png

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have always found these too bass heavy for my taste, I'll admit that from time to time if I listen to certain music a bass heavy headphone is good fun and for such moments these are very good, but it's not the sort of tuning I listen to most of the time (though the reason I keep my Sony MDR-Z7 is just for those moments). These are relatively inexpensive, robust and they do what they do pretty well so I can understand why they're so popular even if they're not really for me.

Longshan

I have always found these too bass heavy for my taste, I'll admit that from time to time if I listen to certain music a bass heavy headphone is good fun and for such moments these are very good, but it's not the sort of tuning I listen to most of the time (though the reason I keep my Sony MDR-Z7 is just for those moments). These are relatively inexpensive, robust and they do what they do pretty well so I can understand why they're so popular even if they're not really for me.
I agree with you. I have a pair, and the other thing I'd say is that their soundstage is extremely narrow for some reason. At the same time, they've been a good workhorse for me. They're great for tracking, and they've been reliable.

rsoffer

Listening to these now while working out of a coffee shop and I'm reminded by how much I love them. Years later, thousands of dollars in headphones later and these still get me tapping my feet like the best of them.

I'm somewhat of a basshead, and I think the bass on these is great. The Sony XM3s had way too much bloated bass for me. These are much more balanced and controlled. The bass doesn't have the texture or quality of say the Focal Clear, but it's fun.

Many complain about the metallic treble on these, but I love it. They're an exciting pair to listen to. EDM and hip hop is so much fun with these.

ehabheikal

If i wanted an affordable can that has very low distortion and has a frequency response that when corrected will not mess up the distortion. Also it should equalize easy as in have no parts in the frequency response that is hard to equalize.
Which should i get the Audio technica M50X or the Sennheiser 569? I already have thesuperlux hd668 and would prefer a closed heaphone. plus after eq the 668 looses a lot of distortion in the base region. I can spend more if there is a better measured headphone or earphone.

Last edited:

ehabheikal

I got mine yesterday.
It is built like a tank using good plastic and metal.
I listened to it without eq, not that great but not bad, sound is like it is coming for an empty hall which i think is all in the middle frequencies.
Being lucky Wavelet app works perfectly on my android phone ( ios users eat your hearts out lol ), so i selected m50x and it automatically equalized the music and wow, close to perfection for me. Plays as loud as you want without distortion, bass is great. overall if you can eq your cans lol then this is a good headphone.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I briefly auditioned them on my Note 9 native 3.5mm output long ago and I still remember they were awful.

ehabheikal

Anyone using the Android EQ app called "wavelet"? It said to correct HP response to the Harman curve and they have 2300 models in their bank available to anyone who upgrade to the premium version. It also has all sorts of manual fine-tune options as well. I have BT version of this HP and the Auto EQ does a great job IMO to make this HP sound great with no obvious peaks and dips.
Sonarworks's Tru-Fi was a great option too [for Windows], but they renamed it and changed it to "Sound ID" but basically the same concept. They measure the headphones and create a compensation curve to load it whenever the user selects a headphone that is in the bank.
The gray curve is the measured response the orange flat line represents the reference "curve". The correction values are not provided.
Wavelet only shows the corrected curve applied on that screenshot.

Wavlet is indispensable to me.

Top Bottom