• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Technica AT-OC9XML

JP

Major Contributor
Any error messages?

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any error messages?
Lots. I've been trying different stuff for a couple hours. I tried to debug in Spyder. No idea if that is a good way to go about it, but most of the bug messages there say I have a bad directory or it can't find the file. I suspect it might work if those two lines were correct. In the prompt, it isn't recognizing the plt. commands.

JP

Major Contributor
Versions? Is the script and audio file all in the same directory?

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anaconda 3 2020.11, I downloaded the latest Anaconda on 1/19/21. I am pasting the code directly into the prompt. I have it in a .txt file.

JP

Major Contributor
Never done it that way before. I also put the code in a text file, rename to .py, and run the file. On the Mac I open the file in IDLE and run it from there.

JP

Major Contributor
Rested and thinking better now - only had three hours sleep going in to yesterday. If you're running from the prompt you'll need to add home statement back, otherwise the audio file would need to reside in an environment path for the context python is running. Still prefer to run from a file.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The MM vs MI vs MC thread is getting a bit long, and covers several subtopics on measurements, so I am making this thread to focus on the cartridge I got when I took interest over there.

First, I figured a microscope inspection would be a good predecessor to ripping sweeps for measurement. Here's how my AT-OC9XML looks right now:

View attachment 121603

Obviously, my theory that the silver stuff around the stylus tip was protective packing grease or something like that was incorrect. It hasn't changed much with a couple hundred hours of break in and corresponding cleaning with melamine foam and a carbon fiber brush... anyway, looks clean enough, so time to rip some tracks and see if I can process them into useful data.
Looking Good!

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that I've got the SPDIF mod done on the wandering Puffin, I am wondering what a good way to connect its SPDIF output into my PC so I can make files directly with only one ADC.

MiniDSP SHD series has the capability to output a copy of its output via USB, so if you disabled all the processing, it would work. I could use an SHD Studio.

Alternatively, perhaps there is something cheap that will work, and it could become part of the wandering Puffin package. Most of what I see online seems to be designed to sit between a TOSLINK output and an amp, preamp, or DAC, enabling you to use a USB input if you lack a TOSLINK input. Seems like they should work with a PC but I don't seem them advertised that way.

@watchnerd, if you end up getting a TOSLINK Puffin, what are you going to use to get the digital data to your computer so you can make it into a file?

@BDWoody have you thought about this yet?

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The $320 Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 has digital coax inputs... I knew there was no way the 2i2 I bought last year was going to last me for its functionality. :facepalm: I just didn't know which better one to get or why I needed a better one... then again, maybe I'll hold out for an SHD that actually does something different.

I noticed the TosLink Parks Puffin is gone, as is the digital coax out one. :(

JP

Major Contributor
Perhaps there's an economical or used card recorder that has digital input? I use a Tascam DA-3000 for that duty fed by a Benchmark ADC-1. Perhaps there are similar but less expensive options.

I've never seen an SPDIF to USB standalone interface.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Recently I got an ART9XI and I was going to do head to head rips vs the ART9XA.

But as I was futzing around with azimuth tweaking using the Puffin, I destroyed the ART9XI's stylus.

So I can trade it in for a replacement ART9XI for $650 (ouch! expensive tuition).

Or I was thinking I could trade it in for an AT-OC9XML, hopefully for less money.

Thoughts?

Which would you guys do?

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Recently I got an ART9XI and I was going to do head to head rips vs the ART9XA.

But as I was futzing around with azimuth tweaking using the Puffin, I destroyed the ART9XI's stylus.

So I can trade it in for a replacement ART9XI for $650 (ouch! expensive tuition).

Or I was thinking I could trade it in for an AT-OC9XML, hopefully for less money.

Thoughts?

Which would you guys do?
I just don't see anything in this review that makes me think the ART9XI is worth the money:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I just don't see anything in this review that makes me think the ART9XI is worth the money:

Okay, although I thought the review was fairly accurate and subjectively favorable.

And I'm rather fond of my remaining ART9XA, tied for favorite cart with the Nagaoka MP-500.

But that's not really the question at hand.

The question is whether I should swap my damaged one for an AT-OC9XML.

(or even a different member of the OC9 family, as I have options)

Last edited:

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Okay, although I thought the review was fairly accurate and subjectively favorable.

And I'm rather fond of my remaining ART9XA, tied for favorite cart with the Nagaoka MP-500.

But that's not really the question at hand.

The question is whether I should swap my damaged one for an AT-OC9XML.

(or even a different member of the OC9 family, as I have options)
Sorry, I forgot the second part of that: personally I would go for the OC9XML and sleep well knowing that I have something as good as the 9XI. I think the biggest difference would be half a dB at 14kHz, which is likely inaudible or at the very least barely perceptible added "air."

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Sorry, I forgot the second part of that: personally I would go for the OC9XML and sleep well knowing that I have something as good as the 9XI. I think the biggest difference would be half a dB at 14kHz, which is likely inaudible or at the very least barely perceptible added "air."

I think that's fair.

The ART9XA is a very different animal, being an air core MC and much lower output, than the XI and OC9 models.

The engine of the XI also seems to have more in common with the OC9 series....the DC resistance, inductance, and coil impedance are identical between them.

(As opposed to the air core XA, which has an inductance 1/10th of the iron core models)

The remaining question is which stylus?

The ART9XA has a Shibata (same as OC9XSH), and the XI had a fine line (same as OC9XSL).

The OC9XML has a Microline.

The only other Microline/Microridge cart I have is the VM540ML

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get OC9, but I am biased. I have not heard the more expensive ones and I already spent money on the OC9XML. If you get OC9XSL we could compare rips.

JP

Major Contributor
I'm not sure why AT has been pushing Shibata on their latest offerings. Last I checked it didn't seem to bring anything to the table other than shorter life than ML.

There response curve on the XA seems to follow the 740/540 quite well (150pF, 47K loading). When I listened to the 740 my first thought was that something was definitely off.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm not sure why AT has been pushing Shibata on their latest offerings. Last I checked it didn't seem to bring anything to the table other than shorter life than ML.

Well "pushing" is relative.

The Shibata styli in the OC9 revamp is ranked below the "special line contact".

What does seem consistent is that ML has been bumped down to #3.

Top Bottom