• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio streamer wish list

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m looking for a streaming amplifier for my living room system and trying to find one that checks all the boxes.

This is my wish list:
Need to have
1) small form factor
2) Spotify connect and airplay with the ability to play local files from a server
3) proper bass management with hpf to main L+R output . Sub output LPF optional

Nice to have
4) ability for dsp room correction
5) built in amp

Bonus
6) volume control knob

The only thing I see that checks all the boxes is the miniDSP SHD amp but I don’t need Dirac

Is there any other solution that checks most or all of these boxes , I’m ok with a built in amp or separate amp.

Thanks
Wayne

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Am I right in thinking you're after something off the shelf, ruling out all the options with a DIY element?

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I right in thinking you're after something off the shelf, ruling out all the options with a DIY element?
Off the shelf preferred but I’m open

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If the DIY element isn't appealing in itself then the SHD Amp is probably a better bet - it seems near perfect for your application if the price isn't too high. The sub output with filtered main outs makes it trickier than the usual Pi based streamer, and the trade offs may make the options unsuitable. Since the SHD uses Volumio with tweaks for the DSP I'm assuming the open source Spotify support in most of the DIY streaming options is adequate - it's not something I've used. I think most of the Pi based streamer options support Spotify and Airplay as well as local streaming. Most of them also support adding a display, and hooking up a shaft encoder to some of the pins for volume control. I'll list a few things that might do the job in ease-of-assembly order - I haven't tried them so it's more of a research starting point than a solid recommendation! Assuming use with a Pi 4 unless otherwise specified.

Allo Piano 2.1 + Volumio - the Piano has basic DSP in its DACs and comes preprogrammed for 2.1 output. It's a cheap option, but the DACs aren't up to the standard of the SHD. Add the brutefir volumio plugin for room correction. Ticks most of the boxes and relatively simple to put together. You can look at combination with the Allo Sparky instead of the Pi.

HifiBerry BeoCreate - I think HifiBerryOS is the only one with support for their DSP built in. More expensive, and the amps may not be of the required standard. Sub out would be on toslink in this case.

HifiBerry DAC+DSP - a bit like the beoCreate without the amps - 2 channels of basic DAC and a toslink output. Or you can disappear down the rabbit hole with I2S/TDM and custom DSP programming with SigmaDSP. I've just got one of these, but haven't got round to playing with it yet, so can probably give more feedback in a while if you're interested.

Auverdion Aurora - on paper a capable multichannel DSP system that could take the 2 channel output from whichever pi based streamer and apply room correction and bass management, but it hasn't been measured.

Roll your own with a multichannel USB interface such as the MOTU M4 - probably breaking the small form factor requirement, and requiring a willingness to get into the depths of low level linux audio output configuration. Having said that there was some suggestion that the brutefir volumio plugin might pick up some crossover functionality,

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the DIY element isn't appealing in itself then the SHD Amp is probably a better bet - it seems near perfect for your application if the price isn't too high. The sub output with filtered main outs makes it trickier than the usual Pi based streamer, and the trade offs may make the options unsuitable. Since the SHD uses Volumio with tweaks for the DSP I'm assuming the open source Spotify support in most of the DIY streaming options is adequate - it's not something I've used. I think most of the Pi based streamer options support Spotify and Airplay as well as local streaming. Most of them also support adding a display, and hooking up a shaft encoder to some of the pins for volume control. I'll list a few things that might do the job in ease-of-assembly order - I haven't tried them so it's more of a research starting point than a solid recommendation! Assuming use with a Pi 4 unless otherwise specified.

Allo Piano 2.1 + Volumio - the Piano has basic DSP in its DACs and comes preprogrammed for 2.1 output. It's a cheap option, but the DACs aren't up to the standard of the SHD. Add the brutefir volumio plugin for room correction. Ticks most of the boxes and relatively simple to put together. You can look at combination with the Allo Sparky instead of the Pi.

HifiBerry BeoCreate - I think HifiBerryOS is the only one with support for their DSP built in. More expensive, and the amps may not be of the required standard. Sub out would be on toslink in this case.

HifiBerry DAC+DSP - a bit like the beoCreate without the amps - 2 channels of basic DAC and a toslink output. Or you can disappear down the rabbit hole with I2S/TDM and custom DSP programming with SigmaDSP. I've just got one of these, but haven't got round to playing with it yet, so can probably give more feedback in a while if you're interested.

Auverdion Aurora - on paper a capable multichannel DSP system that could take the 2 channel output from whichever pi based streamer and apply room correction and bass management, but it hasn't been measured.

Roll your own with a multichannel USB interface such as the MOTU M4 - probably breaking the small form factor requirement, and requiring a willingness to get into the depths of low level linux audio output configuration. Having said that there was some suggestion that the brutefir volumio plugin might pick up some crossover functionality,

Thanks , it really does look like the miniDSP SHD power is the best all in one option for this system. My current plan is now to hide various boxes in my bookcase behind the books

Here is my current plan:

Streamer with coax digital out and volume control. (A knob and volume display would be preferred )

MiniDSP nanoDigi for crossover and room correction
2X SMLS M300 mlk II DACs with xlr outputs (one for stereo , on for sub)
Audiophonics MPA-S250NC amplifier

This appears to be a no compromise solution with more clean power than the SHD power for roughly the same cost)

Initially I’ll use my Yamaha WXC-50 as the streamer but would like to get recommendations for a Raspberry Pi Volumio solution (I just started using Volumio via a SHD studio in my main system)

Thanks
Wayne

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll be watching this thread as I'd like the same, haven't seen anything that fits the bill. I'm expecting a Bluesound Powernode 2i today; it's such a wonderful form factor (Apple like) and a reliable streamer with Spotify connect, roon, etc. Lacks bass management and DSP but does have a line out for a sub. Wonder if Roon DSP could fill that need and a sub with hpf? Still no volume knob :facepalm: Good luck Wayne!

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be watching this thread as I'd like the same, haven't seen anything that fits the bill. I'm expecting a Bluesound Powernode 2i today; it's such a wonderful form factor (Apple like) and a reliable streamer with Spotify connect, roon, etc. Lacks bass management and DSP but does have a line out for a sub. Wonder if Roon DSP could fill that need and a sub with hpf? Still no volume knob :facepalm: Good luck Wayne!
The only small all-in-one streaming amps that I know of that do bass management are:
Sonos amp (no room correction with third party speakers though)
MiniDSP SHD power

Is there anything else?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The only small all-in-one streaming amps that I know of that do bass management are:
MiniDSP SHD power

Is there anything else?
Not that I know of. The Anthem STR integrated is an excellent choice based on features, just requires a streamer, but I sold mine largely because of the bulk and weight of the thing. I love the STR preamp because it has so many of the features we're after, is compact and light, measures well, and gives us the choice of amp. It is pricey and does require a streamer. I tried the Element P, it had the streamer but was totally lacking on the bass aspect; sadly its volume control tanked after about 2 weeks of use and that's why I'm trying the Powernode. I have a feeling that the latter, if paired with nice towers, like the 226bes that we recently read about, would be a terrific combination and the towers would reduce the need for a sub. Clearly there's a market IMO for the type of unit you describe at the outset.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I know of. The Anthem STR integrated is an excellent choice based on features, just requires a streamer, but I sold mine largely because of the bulk and weight of the thing. I love the STR preamp because it has so many of the features we're after, is compact and light, measures well, and gives us the choice of amp. It is pricey and does require a streamer. I tried the Element P, it had the streamer but was totally lacking on the bass aspect; sadly its volume control tanked after about 2 weeks of use and that's why I'm trying the Powernode. I have a feeling that the latter, if paired with nice towers, like the 226bes that we recently read about, would be a terrific combination and the towers would reduce the need for a sub. Clearly there's a market IMO for the type of unit you describe at the outset.
Anthem STR is great, I have the preamp in my main system but I can't put full sized components in my living room (if I know what's good for me) Everything needs to fit in a 12" deep bookcase.
Honestly if the WXA-50 had bass management , I'd live with it.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP SHD power

Is there anything else?
Another one is the ELAC DS-A101-G. @jhaider has a review on an earlier version of it (without streaming). Unfortunately, price has gone up from $700 to $940 (per ELAC's Amazon store price) since the review.
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...series-ea101eq-g-integrated-amplifier-review/

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that I’ve decided to use separate room correction and a separate amp here is revised streamer witch list:

need to have
1. Ability to run volumio
2. coax spidif out (analog out not needed)
3. 12v trigger out (active when playing music)

nice to have
4.volume knob

any suggestions?

thanks
Wayne

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it mean that these triggers are in the signal path ?
Seems like I could run the toslink through it or just coax from a streamer to the DAC and run toslink just to the trigger controller.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. The gizmo looks at the data in the optical S/PDIF stream, and sense if audio signal is present. Since it in the digital domain, there is no degradation to the signal. Here is the product web page.
https://www.bobwireaudio.com/

Alright, that would work (although its $70 for something that could be built into a streamer at low cost). Any suggestions for a Volumio streamer with a volume knob (for digital volume control). I've confirmed that my Yamaha WXC-50 in preamp mode does control the digital out volume looking for something similar that runs volumio. Looking for the same overall functionality as the WXC-50 (volume knob, trigger out, coax out).

Thanks
Wayne

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP SHD power

Is there anything else?
It is a bummer that Sonos has decided to not allow EQ of non sonos speakers. Otherwise, it ticks a lot of boxes...
-hdmi
-good quality and quantity of power
-Works well with Roon
-But no eq with non sonos speakers is sure a deal breaker unless you use roon for the eq for music

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've found my solution
I've built a Raspberry pi with a touchscreen like the one detailed here : http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/08/diy-raspberry-pi-touch-audio-streamer.html
I've ordered a SPDIF Hat :https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-digi-pro/

The system will be Raspberry Pi -> hifiberry digi+ pro -> minidsp nanodigi (crossover and room correction)->2X SMSL M300mkII (for mains and sub) -> Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR

I installed the remote amp plugin for volumio that controls a trigger via GPIO ( I ordered a small relay board to drive the trigger via 5V)

In total I'm now getting everything that I wanted plus a bunch of clutter. Compared to the miniDSP SHD power, I'm getting a better power amp but less sophisticated room correction for slightly less money.

The conclusion of my Survey is that the Sonos Amp would probably be my best option if I didn't want room correction and the MiniDSP power would be the best option if it had to be one box (would have preferred XLR sub outs rather than the AES out which could have been on BNC)

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've found my solution
I've built a Raspberry pi with a touchscreen like the one detailed here : http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/08/diy-raspberry-pi-touch-audio-streamer.html
I've ordered a SPDIF Hat :https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-digi-pro/

The system will be Raspberry Pi -> hifiberry digi+ pro -> minidsp nanodigi (crossover and room correction)->2X SMSL M300mkII (for mains and sub) -> Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR

I installed the remote amp plugin for volumio that controls a trigger via GPIO ( I ordered a small relay board to drive the trigger via 5V)

In total I'm now getting everything that I wanted plus a bunch of clutter. Compared to the miniDSP SHD power, I'm getting a better power amp but less sophisticated room correction for slightly less money.

The conclusion of my Survey is that the Sonos Amp would probably be my best option if I didn't want room correction and the MiniDSP power would be the best option if it had to be one box (would have preferred XLR sub outs rather than the AES out which could have been on BNC)

I tried the Raspberry Pi based solution but ultimately decided on a different direction. It's for sale here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...spberry-pi-touch-streamer-for-sale-150.17077/

Top Bottom