• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio streamer/device with nice tactile interface

OP
B

Bornsceptic

What would you spend on a screen and a knob?
500$ with a good interface and nice aesthetics.

I actually think someone like Spotify would be more likely to achieve this.

But ultimately I think hifi companies are too stuck in their Bits and Sinads, and software companies unwilling to go into the short life-cycled hardware business. The few in-betweeners like Sonos of course cater to the big “simple mono speaker” market.

But I do think there is a market here, it’s not huge, but it’s not insignificant either.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Don't wait for Spotify https://www.makeuseof.com/why-spotify-car-thing-failed as I don't see them trying again in the near future.

Isn't there some kind of volume knob/next/previous button thing that you can add to your moode audio rpi?
Dunno about Moode, but that's a yes for piCorePlayer.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm confused, if you're using a phone and app. Why do you need a nice tactile interface that is across the room?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I am looking for devices that are still being manufactured and sold new.
Good luck finding one in your price range. There's a very simple reason why low cost controllers are no longer made. DIY is probably your best solution.

OP
B

Bornsceptic

I'm confused, if you're using a phone and app. Why do you need a nice tactile interface that is across the room?, my system is not that far from me when listening.
Well, to begin with my system is not very far from me in most situations. But more importantly, it just adds to the experience. Seeing the album art or at least album+ track name playing at all times (or a nice VU-meter) is a visual addition (that I don’t get in the phone app). I also like the ”always on/always accessible” part, having the music there on my sideboard available without unlocking a phone, opening the right app. Again, functionally I’m quite content, emotionally I believe a dimension could be added.

OP
B

Bornsceptic

Good luck finding one in your price range. There's a very simple reason why low cost controllers are no longer made. DIY is probably your best solution.

Interesting article. I understand why they went away. I’m just hoping the time is right for an (improved) comeback :)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Seeing the album art or at least album+ track name playing at all times (or a nice VU-meter) is a visual addition (that I don’t get in the phone app). I also like the ”always on/always accessible” part, having the music there on my sideboard available without unlocking a phone, opening the right app. Again, functionally I’m quite content, emotionally I believe a dimension could be added.
Something like this? Lots of DIY possibilities, starting with piCorePlayer.

P1290909.jpg

Yes, I agree that the always-visible aspect is important. Touchscreens tend to get grubby pretty quickly, so I moved to a larger, non-touch display later on. The volume knob on the RME is enough tactile feedback, and a much better place for one than on a phone.

E8114B5C-0CA4-4072-BA40-BF9C74ED94EE.jpeg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, to begin with my system is not very far from me in most situations. But more importantly, it just adds to the experience. Seeing the album art or at least album+ track name playing at all times (or a nice VU-meter) is a visual addition (that I don’t get in the phone app). I also like the ”always on/always accessible” part, having the music there on my sideboard available without unlocking a phone, opening the right app. Again, functionally I’m quite content, emotionally I believe a dimension could be added.
My dedicated iPad with RPI does all of that remotely and more. Okay, good luck.

OP
B

Bornsceptic

Something like this? Lots of DIY possibilities, starting with piCorePlayer.

Yes, I agree that the always-visible aspect is important. Touchscreens tend to get grubby pretty quickly, so I moved to a larger, non-touch display later on. The volume knob on the RME is enough tactile feedback, and a much better place for one than on a phone.
Yes, I think a DIY screen based on the RPi is where I’ll go next. Good point on the touch getting grubby, might be something to consider.

What screen are you using, just a regular tablet?

OP
B

Bornsceptic

My dedicated iPad with RPI does all of that remotely and more. Okay, good luck.
Thank you. Yes, if the iPad could just have a solution without the bulky charging cable I’d be pretty happy. But as long as there is not a (hidden) magnetic charging solution, you can’t really use an iPad as an always-on display that’s minimalistic/sleek enough for me.
(As you see aesthetics is very essential to me, it needs to fit into a Scandi type living room ).

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Yes, if the iPad could just have a solution without the bulky charging cable I’d be pretty happy. But as long as there is not a (hidden) magnetic charging solution, you can’t really use an iPad as an always-on display that’s minimalistic/sleek enough for me.
(As you see aesthetics is very essential to me, it needs to fit into a Scandi type living room ).
I use my iPad two ways, direct cable if I’m being anel, or battery with Airplay I get about 6 hours either way. I can also use the camera kit with no time limits but I hate to reach.

Peterinvan

So, I want what I thought should be a simple thing, but it seems impossible to find without spending silly money:

A nicely built streamer (or amp) with a graphical interface of some sort, and a nice tactile interface (volume knob, rotate and click to select etc). I’m only use Spotify connect, so really don’t need anything else, but I guess there could be other network capabilities as well.

Basically the Naim unity atom or NAD M10. But without paying for Naim or NAD. I’m thinking this should be offered for below 1000 USD (and even that is quite steep). But I cannot find it - does it exist?

(Today I use a Rpi Moode streamer hidden, but I wan’t something ”nice” to interact with. And not just a Rpi display. )
Why not keep it simple and save your money. use an old iPhone or iPad as your dedicated streamer (good UI etc), and use a 4.4mm dongle DAC/Amp like iBrasso, or Fiio?

OP
B

Bornsceptic

Why not keep it simple and save your money. use an old iPhone or iPad as your dedicated streamer (good UI etc), and use a 4.4mm dongle DAC/Amp like iBrasso, or Fiio?
Well that would be the rational, pragmatic and sensible conclusion But what would I then have left to pursue and spend my nights contemplating and researching? I’m very seldom unhappy with the actual sound of my system, so this is what I have left ‍♂️ (Well not entirely true, I’d love to get Dirac to fix some resonance issues, but it’s a minor thing)

RadioBuddha

I don't have a price range, but I don't feel like throwing $1k or $2k at a device that does not do more than an Iphone nor sound better, rumors are that Apple might add a screen to their Homepod, would be interesting.

gitaarwerk

Don't wait for Spotify https://www.makeuseof.com/why-spotify-car-thing-failed as I don't see them trying again in the near future.

Isn't there some kind of volume knob/next/previous button thing that you can add to your moode audio rpi?
this is a pity... I would love this. Just already for a nice remote control.

I'm looking for something similar. Perhaps streamer separate to dac/headphone amp, as streaming is just as fast obsolete as its software. Moode audio/Volumio are good alternatives. I worked on Volumio in my spare time for a month, haha, no time. But it's cool. What I in generally don't like about these systems, is the bootup and the maintenance you need to do for a Pi to work properly without hassle. It usually isn't. I know some people can, but it's not yet for everyone. I, myself am looking at something more "ready". Perhaps programming it myself based on earlier projects like Volumio.

For me, I just want a "target" to either cast spotify, or any streaming service to. Bit like a chromecast... then with a small display (and allowing it to be off, like all the lights), and a few tactile switches for a "dimmed experience" (as I like to listen to music in the dark... hightened senses and coazy and all).

Devialet has something I personally kinda like. It may feel a little old fashioned, but its actually a smart way to get around things without trying to become an embedded software engineer (meaning hard-coding for specific chips and put it on them instead of a SD card). So..that SD card :) create a small application to create a configuration file. You have to export that to an SD card. Put that one in the PI, and the embedded drive/eMMC/SSD will do the rest. The Pi will just have a software OS that is tuned to fast start, and only allows an USB DAC. Put a RTC clock on top of that and perhaps, but not know the latest details, check hardware wise if the USB is still that noisy and perhaps need some isolation.. but I thought nowadays that's a non-issue with good DACS, being it not a problem. PI3 and up can run brutefirs... create an application and a service/server with headphone/speaker EQ settings to be able to download/use in the interface... and... done? (ok, still a lot of work, but perhaps saves a lot of work making a system that tries to do it all when you need only 30% of the functionality).

Personally, I detest an always on display (also looking in home automation dashboards with e-ink, but too many projects, have to follow trough first). I think to have a PI compute board, with an expansion board, some work on the 3d parts to print as basis, as add some DIY plans to personalize the streamer is a great way to get something that matches your stack. Perhaps a schiit like enclosure, or topping. Maybe not metal, but 3d printed. So many ideas... maybe I should start creating something. Just not entirely sure where :) (perhaps start with a headphone plugin + service for ppl to upload their curves).

I also wouldn't mind with a kind of interface.. as I think mooode and volumio are not the prettiest out there... just need to get my hands on Adobe again; as for hobby; 60,- a month is steep (as I try to save up for a new headphone :) )

Leejb1970

I thought I'd bump this as a new product has arrived which suits the OP's original wishlist! Half the price of the Shanling EM7 too.

gitaarwerk

I thought I'd bump this as a new product has arrived which suits the OP's original wishlist! Half the price of the Shanling EM7 too.

Wow!! yes!!! This could actually something I would love; if it’s good. Can we get a ASR review of this?

Top Bottom