• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio streamer/device with nice tactile interface

Bornsceptic

So, I want what I thought should be a simple thing, but it seems impossible to find without spending silly money:

A nicely built streamer (or amp) with a graphical interface of some sort, and a nice tactile interface (volume knob, rotate and click to select etc). I’m only use Spotify connect, so really don’t need anything else, but I guess there could be other network capabilities as well.

Basically the Naim unity atom or NAD M10. But without paying for Naim or NAD. I’m thinking this should be offered for below 1000 USD (and even that is quite steep). But I cannot find it - does it exist?

(Today I use a Rpi Moode streamer hidden, but I wan’t something ”nice” to interact with. And not just a Rpi display. )

RadioBuddha

So, I want what I thought should be a simple thing, but it seems impossible to find without spending silly money:

A nicely built streamer (or amp) with a graphical interface of some sort, and a nice tactile interface (volume knob, rotate and click to select etc). I’m only use Spotify connect, so really don’t need anything else, but I guess there could be other network capabilities as well.

Basically the Naim unity atom or NAD M10. But without paying for Naim or NAD. I’m thinking this should be offered for below 1000 USD (and even that is quite steep). But I cannot find it - does it exist?

(Today I use a Rpi Moode streamer hidden, but I wan’t something ”nice” to interact with. And not just a Rpi display. )

Looking for the same product, also there was a technology that one of the streamers used that supposedly loaded up internet radio streams super fast (can't remember the name of the product or tech), that is important to me as well, but I don't understand why a decent display is so difficult to find at a reasonable price point. Como Audio has a display but I don't believe you can send the audio out to loudspeakers, also the price is hefty on a radio that I question will have a better sound than a Sangean WFR-28, I have tested the audio out (line out) on that radio to loudspeakers and it sounds perfect, it sounds so well to my ears that I don't care if the Naim or Nad is slightly better, doubt I could discern a difference, and that is a $100 portable internet radio. I don't mind using the Sangean but the IOS app is garbage and the stations load up slowly.

Update: Como Audio does have a line out.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Yamaha streamers are good value. Yamaha WXC-50, WXA50. Graphics are on the app so not sure if that's a deal breaker for you.

OP
B

Bornsceptic

Thank you both for the suggestions;

Como audio is indeed more an integrated speaker solution.

I’m very familiar with WXA/WXC-50 as well. However, I’m not lacking anything functionally from my current setup with a RPi streamer, using Moode, rather the physical and visual experience. A simple interface that ”feels” nice.

I could also consider letting an old iPad work as the pure interface (even if I’m really looking for the volume control being a more central, tactile part of the experience). But I haven’t seen any clean nice iOS interfaces (Moode is definitely not it).

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
7E88EEC9-9060-4BE6-970A-9252069C80BD.jpeg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluesound Node? or WiiM Mini Streamer and old iPhone/tablet?

OP
B

Bornsceptic

Bluesound Node? or WiiM Mini Streamer and old iPhone/tablet?
I think the Node is close. The lack of display is a shame, and a nice, large volume knob/selector would have been a much nicer!

What I’m after, and what I think Naim uniti atom or NAD C700 (as well as Roon to some extent) is tapping into, is the streaming world equivalent of the old days of seeing your record spin, with the album cover by the side or in your hands, getting up and physically change the track.

For me, to achieve this, I need something simplistic but tactile and aesthetically pleasing. I think it provides an extra dimension to the listening, but also making me “want to put on music”. If everything is on my phone, it’s not the same…

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Node is close. The lack of display is a shame, and a nice, large volume knob/selector would have been a much nicer!

What I’m after, and what I think Naim uniti atom or NAD C700 (as well as Roon to some extent) is tapping into, is the streaming world equivalent of the old days of seeing your record spin, with the album cover by the side or in your hands, getting up and physically change the track.

For me, to achieve this, I need something simplistic but tactile and aesthetically pleasing. I think it provides an extra dimension to the listening, but also making me “want to put on music”. If everything is on my phone, it’s not the same…
Okay Okay now get it. as I read this I think what you MAY want is a streaming DAP and searched it and sure enough many have screens and some have knobs. So try that

Orpheus

For under 1000 USD, it is impossible to find a true Naim Uniti Atom alternative.

But the Shanling EM5 is probably quite close to what you want. A used one can be found for a good price.

Touch screen on the top of the device. It doesn't have Spotify Connect as it features a full Spotify android app. And with its mirroring app, you can control Spotify and other apps on your phone.

There is a newer and more powerful EM7 with a screen that can be tilted, but that is more than your budget.

image00007g.jpg

image00005g.jpg

RadioBuddha

For under 1000 USD, it is impossible to find a true Naim Uniti Atom alternative.

But the Shanling EM5 is probably quite close to what you want. A used one can be found for a good price.

Touch screen on the top of the device. It doesn't have Spotify Connect as it features a full Spotify android app. And with its mirroring app, you can control Spotify and other apps on your phone.

There is a newer and more powerful EM7 with a screen that can be tilted, but that is more than your budget.

View attachment 229587

View attachment 229586

Horrible design, how can you view the screen across the room, you can't stand it up to show the screen because of the large volume knob, and what is the price brand new?

Orpheus

Horrible design, how can you view the screen across the room, you can't stand it up to show the screen because of the large volume knob, and what is the price brand new?
If you read my post, you would know it has its own mirroring app so you can control the full interface on your phone. The price is $849 USD, and there are used ones for $500 which is within the OP's budget.

RadioBuddha

If you read my post, you would know it has its own mirroring app so you can control the full interface on your phone. The price is $849 USD, and there are used ones for $500 which is within the OP's budget.

What streaming product doesn't have an Iphone/Android App, no reason to get personally negative, the original poster is interested in a Naim like screen at a sub $1k price point, I don't understand why more products don't have a decent screen, I wish something like the Homepod would put one into a future model. To each his or her own if you like Shanling, but I find the GUI's on many of those Chinese brands to be hot garbage, I doubt I would like their app over something like the bluesound app.

RadioBuddha

I agree with your sentiments, the HiFi Rose has a really nice screen, some neat graphics when tuning into an internet radio station, but again, over $2k in price and you have to hope the company survives and continues to update the software.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio cxn. Slightly over $1000 but otherwise close to what you are describing.

OP
B

Bornsceptic

View attachment 229587

View attachment 229586
No I realize that I’m chasing a pipe dream :(

But I must admit this Shanling is getting pretty close - thank you! I thought there should be some of the chinese manufacturers that could achieve this. A simple look, nice VU-meter, the volume knob.

There seem to be a big gap in UI design or the importance of UI design among hifi companies in general and “chi-fi” in particular. Even though I love how companies like Topping et al keep pushing out excellently engineered products, IMO they miss out on a big market by only/mostly focusing on this.

OP
B

Bornsceptic

Cambridge Audio cxn. Slightly over $1000 but otherwise close to what you are describing.
Yes, have looked at that one as well. But when they start asking that kind of money, I become to rational again they are really just offering functionally what I get from my RPi with Moode solution, should I then need to spend 1300$ (Swedish price) on a screen and a knob!

RadioBuddha

No I realize that I’m chasing a pipe dream :(

But I must admit this Shanling is getting pretty close - thank you! I thought there should be some of the chinese manufacturers that could achieve this. A simple look, nice VU-meter, the volume knob.

There seem to be a big gap in UI design or the importance of UI design among hifi companies in general and “chi-fi” in particular. Even though I love how companies like Topping et al keep pushing out excellently engineered products, IMO they miss out on a big market by only/mostly focusing on this.

Check Youtube, the Shanling has a long bootup time, I wish more reviewers would show the device starting up and tuning into internet stations, the practicality of how people will use the devices seems lost on most Youtube reviewers.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Yes, have looked at that one as well. But when they start asking that kind of money, I become to rational again they are really just offering functionally what I get from my RPi with Moode solution, should I then need to spend 1300$ (Swedish price) on a screen and a knob!
What would you spend on a screen and a knob?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use moodeaudio for a reason. When all is said and done I spend a few minutes queuing up some music using a tablet and I’m done for 60 minutes of listening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom