• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Soldering Gun Recommendation

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm thinking ahead to the "Winter is Coming" of Seattle as the days start to get shorter and realizing I'm going to need some indoor hobbies in the winter months when it becomes too dark and wet to venture outside for anything except for food, work, and dog walks.

So I'm thinking of building some electronics kits, possibly some of the cool tube kits from Elekit:

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/elekit-tu-8200dx-stereo-tube-amplifier-kit

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/elekit-tu-8500-stereo-tube-preamplifier-kit

But I need a new soldering tool.

What's a good, modern, soldering gun to use?

Of course, even better if it's optimized for audio usage so I can get all those electrons in the flux aligned correctly.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hakko is it. Superb performance, Japanese made and at excellent pricing: https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888-FX-888-Soldering-Station/dp/B004M3U0VU

41uYdYu5srL.jpg

It puts my old Wellers to shame. Heats up so fast and works like a dream. And cute too :).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking ahead to the "Winter is Coming" of Seattle as the days start to get shorter and realizing I'm going to need some indoor hobbies in the winter months when it becomes too dark and wet to venture outside for anything except for food, work, and dog walks.

Well it could be worse. You could be contemplating Winter is Coming in Westeros. White walkers and all that.

But yeah those are cool looking kits.

night%20king%20white%20walker%20hardhome%20game%20of%20thrones%20hbo.jpeg.jpg

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wow, that is pretty cheap for a weller.

I know! I was really leery of it at first for that exact reason, but it’s been good. Probably wouldn’t hold up to heavy use, like when I used to install sound systems and made up custom cables all the time, but for the casual user I can’t complain.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Me too, the thought of those cold 75 deg days and 50 deg nights sets me to shivering. :( :p

What ever happened to hard wired amp kits?

Top Bottom